Will you be buying a new rig for skyrim

Dianadoesitbest

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys upgrade anything in your computers for skyrim, let it be your graphics cards.

Harddrives will always get scores of around 5 or 6, unless they're SSD's.

Ram speed isn't much of an issue, amount of ram is more of one. and it's not hard to get a few extra gigs of ram for the most part.

But more than anything, graphics cards are what a gamer should love. A standard quad or even dual core CPU will do fine if you pair it with a high end graphics card, particularly if you get one with a lot of memory on it.

I'm sure a lot of you realise already that the more graphics memory you have, the better your frames and texture draw rates will be at high resolutions.

Myself, I'm running an i5 750, 4gb ddr3, with a 1tb WD green HDD. My xfx 5770 works pretty well on the stuff I currently throw at it, and if necessary/funds allow I'll track down another 5770 1gb and maybe a new PSU in the future.

But as it is, I still should be pretty set for mid-high settings with playable frames.

Also, yay first post despite registering months ago, hah.

So you are saying : Core 2 Duo 3ghz + 4Gb ram + A kickass new graphics card = would pretty much get high quality performance on highest res??

I'm trying to decide between an Alienware(Since they reduced the price of the M17x) or an Asus G73SW-A1 custom built from xoticpc.com.

I have a question for you guys, would the Asus' GTX 460M be better than the Alienware M17x's Radeon HD 6970M?

Go for ATI

Yeah, I'm thinking the ATI would be better too. The problem is, everyone seems to have a different opinion on whether or not Alienware is overpriced garbage or not. After doing a lot of research, it seems like the parts (processor, gpu, mobo, etc.) seem good. I just don't how reliable the construction is or whether or not I'll be bothered by the massive size of it. Overheating may be an issue as well, since I typically set and use my laptop on a leather couch or my lap while I'm sitting on the leather couch...

Had this built up and running for 3 days now and very happy I is.

Win 7 Ultimate 64

I7 2600k SandyBridge under Corsair Hydro H70

8 Gig Patriot G-series DDR3 ram

Asus SabreTooth P67 mobo

Seagate 250Gb system drive

Corsair Reactor R120 SSD games drive

2 Samsung 1000Gb storage drives

Sony DVD RW optical drive

Asus Zonar D2x soundcard

Sapphire AMD 6990

Corsair AX1200 Gold PSU

CoolerMaster Cosmos Sport case

If I have to upgrade this to max out Skyrim I'll ditch computers and take up gambling, it would be cheaper :teehee: