Skyrim is going to be dumbed down.

antonkr

Why so much hate for fast travel? Nobody's forcing you to use it, and time passes as if you'd have traveled normally. Genzel, your comment that it wasn't optional makes me wonder if we even played the same game.

Cultural reasons for death bounty: IIRC, the Norse legal system worked like that--if you were found guilty of murder, you had to pay a fine to the victim's family. Two cows or gold or goods of equal value. If you couldn't afford it, you were jailed or exiled.

Genzel is right about the fast travel, in Oblivion you either used the "teleport to and from anywhere" system or walked. There was no transport system in Oblivion. Modded rings that let you travel from place to place like Oblivion were listed under cheats on Morrowind mod sites and with good reason.

But there were horses! You could also ride a horse! That's three options there.

Still, people need to stop bitching and moaning about fast travel. If you don't like it, DON'T f***ing USE IT!

No need to shout or use language like that. The horses weren't exactly "fast" travel, they weren't much faster than going on foot, they had the added issues of getting lost and forcing the player to dismount every time they went anywhere near a mob. Oblivions fast travel was no different to cheating using the coc command in Morrowind. How hard would it have been to add some kind of coherent travel system to Oblivion? maybe if they'd spent a little less time on the laughable "Radiant AI" and soil erosion they would have had time to implement things like fast travel properly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadowmere powered with spells was pretty fast, but horses on Oblivion were mainly a roleplaying instrument, but i hope horses got a bit reworked for Skyrim, maybe the best thing would be adding packs to them and some kind of mounted combat (this is no Mount&Blade, and with Skyrim weather and landscape it would not be much useful)

Fast travel was not like a cheat code, you could only travel to places you have found, and also you cant travel from dungeons or when involved in a fight, you could do that on morrowind with warp spell, and i am sure someone like you would be bashing that if it came from Oblivion instead of Morrowind. I'm starting to get bored of Morrowind so called hardcore fans, i love Morrowind, i am a hardcore fan of Morrowind, but there are many things that oblivion worked out bettter.

The only thing that makes Morrowind shine above Oblivion are all the quests, guilds, and all the other stuff you could do in the game. It seemed like they reduced the overall game by removing a lot of the guilds and factions in the game. Where you had 3 major factions, the house, think 9 minor factions, the guilds and temples, and 3 vampire factions, in Morrowind each with atleast 12 quests. In Oblivion you had 4 guilds.

This could have worked if they actually had invested more time on the 4 guilds, to expand the guilds to be more than just the minor factions they were in Morrowind, but actually major players in the imperial society, trying to get more influence.

They didn't sadly and this is properly the biggest disappointment i had in Oblivion.

If it was because they hoped the modders would expand the guilds i dont know, but really felt the game was over after 40 hours. I had saved the world, become head of the 4 different guilds... what to do next? Go on Nexus hoping that someone had "expanded" the game? It just felt unfinished compared to Morrowind.

All that with fast travel being bad, less skills, no death pen. for being evil and so on. It never really effected my game. The only game design that really effected me was that horrible interface and level scaling :S And the horrible stealth...

Has it ever occurred to you guys that everyone has a different opinion? Each to his own. There's no reason to start these ridiculous debates that break out on the forums all the time. If you like Morrowind better than Oblivion then keep on playing it, no one's stopping you. You don't have to tell the people who enjoy Oblivion that it's worse than Morrowind. You can keep on ranting on and on with how they compare and contrast, or you can all just calm down and realize it's a never ending argument because you can't change someone's sense of fun. Nor should you criticize someone else's way of having fun. Oblivion is what it is, if you don't like then play another game.

Considering how much they ruined oblivion, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to dumb it down any further.

Quite true. While initially playing Oblivion I had an amazing time and really enjoyed it, taking a step back I realized all the screw-ups they made to make it more accessible for console gamers. In the end, I won't be surprised if Skyrim is lacking in the immersion and depth areas, but I know I will still love the game.

Your statement is also proof that they didn't let down, at the same time. Otherwise, you and everybody else complaining about Oblivion would have been disappointed at the outset, something which very few people were, really.

Most griping comes from (perhaps even years-down-the-road) hindsight, and that's not really valid.

Why so much hate for fast travel? Nobody's forcing you to use it, and time passes as if you'd have traveled normally. Genzel, your comment that it wasn't optional makes me wonder if we even played the same game.

Cultural reasons for death bounty: IIRC, the Norse legal system worked like that--if you were found guilty of murder, you had to pay a fine to the victim's family. Two cows or gold or goods of equal value. If you couldn't afford it, you were jailed or exiled.

Genzel is right about the fast travel, in Oblivion you either used the "teleport to and from anywhere" system or walked. There was no transport system in Oblivion. Modded rings that let you travel from place to place like Oblivion were listed under cheats on Morrowind mod sites and with good reason.

But there were horses! You could also ride a horse! That's three options there.

Still, people need to stop bitching and moaning about fast travel. If you don't like it, DON'T f***ing USE IT!

At 100 speed, the player could run as fast as Shadowmere. By level 20, horses were obsolete. I would not care about fast travel if they included some alternates besides walking.

Considering how much they ruined oblivion, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to dumb it down any further.

Quite true. While initially playing Oblivion I had an amazing time and really enjoyed it, taking a step back I realized all the screw-ups they made to make it more accessible for console gamers. In the end, I won't be surprised if Skyrim is lacking in the immersion and depth areas, but I know I will still love the game.

everybody else complaining about Oblivion would have been disappointed at the outset, something which very few people were, really.

debatable

Those of us that played Daggerfall and Morrowind somehow have a bad outlook on Oblivion because of the reduction in the variety and depth of the game. All the "new" people getting into the TES series my find it the other way around.

Skyrim, from what I have read and seen, will be more than likely to be a combination of the three - or two if you only played MW. I honestly think it will seem dumbed down to those who are just getting into the games, because they compare the game to Oblivion not MW or Daggerfall.

Your statement is also proof that they didn't let down, at the same time. Otherwise, you and everybody else complaining about Oblivion would have been disappointed at the outset, something which very few people were, really.

What I mean is, while the game was very lacking in my opinion, the game was still great and enjoyable. The way I see it, any Bethesda game will be truly amazing, but when you compare them side by side, some are far more immersive and detailed, and arguably better. I have probably played Oblivion more than Morrowind, and despite how fun Oblivion was, I think it was a step down.

debatable

I don't think the vast majority of people were disappointed when it came out. I think they were wowed just like they will be with Skyrim. Purists/RPG'ers on the other hand...but of course, they are always a minority. Hells, we here on this forum are a minority...

I have probably played Oblivion more than Morrowind, and despite how fun Oblivion was, I think it was a step down.

Yeah, we're on the same wavelength. Oblivion ran out of Epicness for me, whereas Morrowind never did. Still hasn't. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wink.gif However, dumbed down or not, it doesn't matter because in the end, if we keep Morrowind in our hearts as our eyes feast on Skyrim, we will be all right...thanks to the Creation Kit or whatever they want to call it.