habitable caves, ruins, forts?

Mud Crab Carl

I've been exploring Cyrodill as multiple characters and one thing always manages to rear its hoary head.

Real-estate.

Often times my low level characters need someplace to stay and store their goods, but their money is tight.

I'm constantly on the lookout for free places to crash and stash my junk that won't respawn and don't have pesky wildlife running around inside it.

So far I've found two such places/areas.

There's a cave outside the Imperial city called Wellspring cave which is part of the Mages Guild quest.

Wellspring is a cozy and homey place to rest one's head, if of course you don't mind the dark, and the cold, the bats, and the minimal space for storage.

I've had a few characters that lived there.

You'll need to move your stuff if you want to get very far in the mages guild quest, and I'm uncertain if you can live there after the mages staff quest is completed.

The other isn't an area or a building, but could be useful.

It's the jewelry box on the small dock outside the ayleid ruin Vilverin which is just ahead of you after you exit the sewers during the first phase of the game.

When you first loot it it has a ring or something.

I've gone back many times to see what it contained after its respawn, but it's always empty.

I'm fairly certain that you could store thing inside of it and retrieve them later.

Are there any other places like this that you've found?

I'd love to know about them, and I'm sure others would as well.

Edited by Mud Crab Carl

I'm sure you're familiar with this one already, but my characters almost always take control of the pirate ship docked at the Imperial Waterfront. It's easy to claim since all you need to do is set foot on the ship when a guard is nearby and run away while the pirates get killed off. Nothing on the ship is owned, and the captain's cabin is nice and cozy plus has a chest that does not respawn right there. That's probably one of my most frequented free "homes".