Playing a warrior-archetype?

ElricOfGrans

I have made my fair share of Oblivion characters, mostly sniper-types. I have also played a few magically-oriented characters, but never a warrior-type. The main reason is it seems like it would get very same-y and boring very quickly, yet it seems the most popular way to play. With a sniper, the main fun is finding the right position, getting into it, then taking out the enemy without being spotted. With a mage, the main fun is picking the right spells and trying to come up with good tactics for using them (or goofing off with stupid spells, for a laugh). As far as I can tell, a Warrior puts on some armour, picks up a big sword, then swings it. It seems like there would be no variety. I am assuming I am missing something very important somewhere to explain why it is so popular. Why do you play warrior-archetypes and what do you find the most fun with them?

The most fun? Well, when talking vanilla, good use of blocking, power attacking (four different kinds), and dodging can certainly make for fun encounters. With mods like Deadly Reflex, you add whole new challenging elements to melee combat.

I like using a mixture of melee combat and destructive spells. Hit a guy with a standing power attack, stagger him with a well placed block, hit him again... if he doesn't stagger, them dodge backwards and launch a fireball before he closes in.

Melee combat can be interesting and fun if you don't just speed click your way through it.

why would you think that these are so popular??

if it's because of pictures or such, the fact that the characters are wearing armors, doesn't mean that they can use them

besides, there is very little sense of being strictly a warrior

such a character gives you nothing, because without alchemy or restoration, you can only heal using bought potions, which will leave you with very little money

so to me it seems like a real waste of a character

what i would do is make a warrior mage, depending on how much you would like it to be a warrior and how much of a mage

i would say that you should at least take restoration or alchemy, to allow your character to heal when battles are hard

the main point i have is that when you make your class, you choose 7 main skills

there is just no reason to take 7 warrior skills

i'm sure you can take heavy armor + blade\blunt + armorer +block (or at least 3 of these)

which leaves you with 3 or 4 other skills to use, to give your character a chance

My most recent character was a warrior type. But, like WastelandAssassin said, there's always more to the character than strictly swords and armor. In my case, my character was a custom class called a Cavalier, which is basically a paladin. In addition to combat skills and Armorer, she focused on Restoration for healing herself and others; Illusion for rallying followers, striking fear into opponents, and persuading people; and Conjuration for driving away undead.

There's plenty of fun ways to play thieves, mages, and warriors; the key is to make good use of the magic system.

There are many different types of possible warrior. Just because you create a character who's proficient at close quarters combat doesn't mean they can't have any other talents. My last warrior character was also adept at creating their own potions and had a handful of destruction spells as well as a high archery and sneak skills to mix things up a bit. Of course, in the end, their primary M.O. was to charge in, weapon in hand, because that's where the real fun began. If you're fighting powerful enemies, you don't really wind up just standing in one place hacking away, you actually need to learn to attack and defend at the proper times, and with mods like Deadly Reflex installed, it really ups the challenge you'll get out of fighting humanoid foes. I used to make sure to carry what you would consider "underpowered" weapons with me just because I enjoyed the art of close quarters fighting so much, it's kind of sad when you become so powerful that enemies die in one or two hits.

I'm more orientated towards the Warrior-Mage Archetype than the Pure Warrior Archetype. However, I tend to be more of a Samurai-Mage Archetype since I utilise those mods that add Japanese-style weaponry to the game. My favourite character class would be the Spellsword, and most of the time, it is hard trying to decide the best combination of enchanted clothing and enchanted armour since Armour, regardless of your Armour skill will never let you always have 100% Spell Effectiveness with any form of Armour equipped. With Wyre Bash, you can set the Hardcoded Maximum Armour Rating to 100, but then you basically become immune to damage at 100% Defend Bonus, except for the armour which takes damage. The point is, Pure Warrior archetypes are pretty much useless against Magic since the magic ignores armour protection, so you would have to rely on resistances, which makes the Pure Warrior archetype useless since you would need to know resist spell effects to enchant your armour to get those resistances, or even survive in the game.

To be honest, it seems like a pure warrior-type character would be far more interesting than an archer or mage character.

Archer seem like they'd suffer from really slow gameplay, and of course if they can't kill an enemy with the first shot, then they basically have to run in circles and shoot and hope they're faster than the enemy.

Mages can get through pretty much anything with just one spell, and in fact are capable of killing almost any enemy in two or three hits, at high levels.

With a warrior, you at least have to consider blocking and different kinds of power attacks, and such.

Though, my experience is pretty much limited to playing mage characters. So I dunno.

Edited by Guest

When i hear from other friends tell me they character is a warrior i say "awww the classic class" because i think is the first class ever made ; a guy with a shield and a sword CLASSIC but like majikmonkee said if ur char is close to combat u dont have to be a warrior u can be rougue thief or something made by u;)

Remember this: pure-warriors can use some minor spells or bow-arrows in a tight situation and still escape, but a pure-mage or pure-archer will fail to leverage weapons and shields against tough enemies due to their inexperience.

In fact, I would say it is difficult to play pure-mage or pure-archer roles throughout the game. In some dungeons, it is too dark with very narrow corridors, and in close combat, your spells or arrows may hit your companions rather than the enemies.

If you are bored with swordplay, and really want an interesting dimension to a warrior archetype, then take a look at some new *type* of weapons. Like Jounks Polearms and Spartan Spears.

Such mods give you long ranged weapons: spears, bardiches, war scythes, etc. which can radically change your combat experience, even without Deadly Reflex and with your vanilla (unboosted) stats. I recommend DMC Stylish as its anims suit these longer weapons accurately.

While Deadly Reflex is probably the ultimate in combat mods, it also tends to break many new mods (from my personal experience). There are also other combat replacers, such as Unnecessary Violence which enables true dual wielding with any weapon from vanilla or any mod, throwing objects (literally any object) and throwing people (judo style).

Then there are the bigger mods such as OOO/MMM/FCOM, which add more and tougher creatures to lend some pizazz to your fight club. They are worth their weight in gold and can be considered as unofficial DLCs! If you feel proud of your battlemage character, try having a go at the boss beasts from Ramy's Monster, Glenvar Castle or even Hentai Mania (not what it sounds!).

Rather than focusing on brute-force combat, I would suggest to try intelligent gameplay enhancers such as Skill Specialization and Choices and Consequences, which make you think carefully which skills to upgrade and leverage over a period of time.

Mounted Combat is another unique experience. There is nothing finer than charging a bandit in the distance while mounted on your horse with your trusty spear held out at your side - you almost feel as if you are really in medieval times and entered a jousting match!

Warrior combat definitely adds to the overall fun of the gaming! Give it a try!

Edited by vvk78

to be honest, I never ever play archer type character, warrior or mage but never archer. The reason is that I hate sneaky, archer would need sneaking to avoid running around. Archer also need to collect arrows, arrows can not be enchanted and enchanted arrows will vanish right when I hit something. Archer have a very slow pace of playing which would probably bore me quickly. The next reason is I enjoy playing 3rd person view, warrior type make great use of this view, mage type may have a little problem but that's ok, i learned to cast no area range spell with high accuracy in 3rd view. Only bow that I can not, I use bow pretty bad even in 1st view, almost hit nothing in 3rd view. that's why I hate archer type.

One more thing: Whenever I encounter an archer in game, it make me feel really angry that I would want to kill that archer in the most inconvenient way. Don't know why.