Is it true: Wichter 2 Collector's Edition=$120

SpellAndShield

Sorry, but the fact that they claimed that they "influenced" BioWare's romances in DA and attack BioWare's dialogue wheel really annoys me.

Do you have any links? I've been following TW2 fairly closely, and haven't heard anything about them saying that, so it must have escaped my notice somehow. As for their fans' comments, there's nothing CD Projekt can do about that, so you can't really blame them for it.

I'll try, I think it was an interview with Gamespot Gameplanet about 4-5 months back. I was checking out DA2 and a related thread about TW2 poped up about romances or something about dialogue when I saw the quote. I'll look it up but forgive me if I can't find it.

Edit: Found it, it was in Gameplanet (I knew it had game on the front). It was an interview with Heather Rabatich, one of the producers of DA2. Here is the original interview by the TW2 devs in GameBanshee

Gameplanet: The Witcher 2 scriptwriter Jan Bartkowicz believes that DA:O was influenced by The Witcher - especially in the "romance" department - do you agree with him?

Heather: I hadn’t actually heard that so I can’t really comment but we have been doing romance for years. Romance is the key element to any movie or any story, especially within drama.

Edited by brokenergy

I'll try, I think it was an interview with Gamespot Gameplanet about 4-5 months back. I was checking out DA2 and a related thread about TW2 poped up about romances or something about dialogue when I saw the quote. I'll look it up but forgive me if I can't find it.

Edit: Found it, it was in Gameplanet (I knew it had game on the front). It was an interview with Heather Rabatich, one of the producers of DA2. Here is the original interview by the TW2 devs in GameBanshee

Gameplanet: The Witcher 2 scriptwriter Jan Bartkowicz believes that DA:O was influenced by The Witcher - especially in the "romance" department - do you agree with him?

Heather: I hadn’t actually heard that so I can’t really comment but we have been doing romance for years. Romance is the key element to any movie or any story, especially within drama.

I think both you and the Gameplanet interviewer read something into the TW2 interview that is not there in the first place. When he was interviewed by Eurogamer, Jan Bartkowicz spoke about "erotic" content, not just 'simple' romantic content. This was rephased by the Gameplanet interviewer as "romance" department.

I think it is not really necessary point out the difference between the two.

Yeah and by the time The Witcher was shipped, ME was in QA and was locked content wise. Look, like I said I don't mind the game and I will buy it after reviews and when the price drops a bit (too expensive here) but I don't really respect this sort of behavour. For him to state that they influenced BioWare romances and "erotic" content is debatable at best.

Besides, TW's "erotic" content was at most, silly and sexist. I'm glad that they removed those sex cards (which made we go all pokimon as I'm horder for achevements in games) but still concerned on how they will handle Geralt with women. I know that there are choices but I don't want women to lach on to him for sex, which is what I felt in TW. I really hope that they improve dialouge localization as well, I was not impressed with some of the writing, which was really jarring. I could go on with the improvements but some really have to be seen to be believe.

As far as sex, romance, and "erotic" content in RPGs go, I believe that Japan has both developers beat by a decade or two. Sex(aside from Disney-like romances) has been kept out of western gaming mainly because western audiences think that games, to some extent, need to be "kid-safe". Case in point, Grand Theft Auto's Hot-coffee mod, Mass Effect being featured on Fox News(all because of some alien side-boob).The only influence I have seen from the Witcher in DAO is that the romance is displayed slightly more graphically than in previous Bioware releases.

As far as originality goes, both The Witcher and Dragon Age borrowed heavily, if not blatantly ripped off Dungeons and Dragons(E.G. humans are dominant, elves are descended from an ancient Civilization, dwarves like booze and blacksmithing). What bothers me about Mass Effect 2's dialogue wheel is that it appeals to people too lazy to read. I miss the old days when RPGs were all about reading walls of texts.

As far as sex, romance, and "erotic" content in RPGs go, I believe that Japan has both developers beat by a decade or two. Sex(aside from Disney-like romances) has been kept out of western gaming mainly because western audiences think that games, to some extent, need to be "kid-safe". Case in point, Grand Theft Auto's Hot-coffee mod, Mass Effect being featured on Fox News(all because of some alien side-boob).The only influence I have seen from the Witcher in DAO is that the romance is displayed slightly more graphically than in previous Bioware releases.

Skimpy outfits =/= romance and errotic content. BioWare already was moving in that direction years ago (BG2, Kotor, NWN, JE). ME came out 1 month after TW and it had the famous cut-scene before release. It's debatable to state who started all of this.

As far as originality goes, both The Witcher and Dragon Age borrowed heavily, if not blatantly ripped off Dungeons and Dragons(E.G. humans are dominant, elves are descended from an ancient Civilization, dwarves like booze and blacksmithing). What bothers me about Mass Effect 2's dialogue wheel is that it appeals to people too lazy to read. I miss the old days when RPGs were all about reading walls of texts.

Then by your standards D&D "blatantly ripped" of from Tolkien, and Tolkien "blatantly ripped" of from established myths. Your point? Also ME2 dialogue wheel is a guide of the intent of the conversation, it was never meant to tell you what exactly Shepard was going to say. It's not that people don't want to read walls of text, it's because when the same line repeats by the PC, it becomes jarring for some. Hence why TW2 is also paraphrased, how it's paraphrased will be in my interest (I haven't kept with development). Block of text is okay when everyone is silent but when everyone is speaking it's not, it becomes jarring.

Edited by brokenergy

Then by your standards D&D "blatantly ripped" of from Tolkien, and Tolkien "blatantly ripped" of from established myths.

Yes actually. D&D halflings were originally called hobbits, this lead to a lawsuit from Tolkien. Also, Tolkien's elves were a bit different than most elves from mythology, although Tolkien has in fact borrowed heavily from Norse and Greek mythology.

Skimpy outfits =/= romance and errotic content.

Nor did I claim they did. I wasn't simply referring to skimpy outfits, but the fact that you can "romance" and have sexual relations with female characters, in both a PG and X-rated context. Case in point, look at all the dating sims.

It's debatable to state who started all of this.

My main point was that sex in games existed long before Dragon Age or Witcher, thus neither are really groundbreaking for having sexual content in their games.

I would never pay $120 for a game. Considering I think most games these days aren't even worth paying $60 for.

Well you wouldn't exactly be paying for only the game itself, you would be paying for a bunch of other crap that will collect dust in your basement that comes packaged with the game.

As far as the "utility" you get out of the game(if you don't mind me applying what I learned in my community college economics class), consider the price of a movie ticket. You'd pay $12 to see a two hour movie, so what is $60 for a fifty hour game? This is coming from someone who paid $20 for a three minute lapdance.