Weapon mod ideas

Fatalmasterpiece

Ebony Scimitar, as well as Hopesfire and Trueflame. If the Bipolar Blade doesn't make a comeback, it'd be interesting to see what such an enchantment would do.

Nicoroshi's Scimitars are also modeled on the Morrowind scimitars, in case you're familiar with them.

Thanks for the links. From what I remember though arn't scimitars extremely rare, even in Morrowind? At least, I don't remember finding any... then again, I seem to remember something about the guards having them, but it's been a verrry long time.

That implies to me that finding any in Skyrim would be unlikely enough to be all but impossible...

My intention is to hopefully essentially leave the vanilla game in tact, without creating even the slightest inkling of balance adjustement, but instead just add more diversity to the models and textures. If I get it done I would also deffinitally add an optional addon which reduces weapon weights to reasonable real world equivilents IE Steel dagger sword would be about 2-4 lbs, short sword 3-5, long sword 4-6, greatsword 7-10 or there abouts.

I would like to see more monk weapons. I know they go unarmed mostly, but there could be quaterstaffs and gauntlets.

If things go well, assuming I actually get anything done, and quarterstaffs are not already in the game I see no reason why I couldn't add some to the list. Though it would only be after the rest was done.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were somewhat rare. You were given one as a quest reward in Tribunal, and all of the ALMSIVI guards in Mournhold wielded one.

If you're looking for new forms of weaponry to craft, many have forgotten of the awesome flails from Daggerfall, although that will have to wait for rseeing if the weapons in Skyrim support Havok. Daggerfall also sported kopeshes, wazakashis, and tantos if I recall correctly.

If you're looking for ways to diversify weaponry, you could look into making several models of each weapon, with their own unique features, like customizations added by the old wielder.

I would love to diversify the weapons more, I mean thats the whole point, but some of that depends on Bethesda. The level scaling of items in Oblivion was really stupid, as we all know from running into bandits all wearing glass armor and wielding daedric swords.

The problem that arises is, I would love to spend time making 3 variations of a Chitin sword for players to choose between, but how long are they ever going to even use Chitin or find them? In Oblivion you may have only ever used Iron weapons during the initial tutorial and a quest or two after that until you could afford a steel/silver one... So I am hoping they fix this since it's a really sad fact that you skip half the weapon and armor models in the game within the first few hours of playing it.

I'm thinking a way to fix this problem might be to have qualities of weapons, so a Masterwork Chitin blade might be as good as a normal Elven one, so that players are more enticed to use a wider veriaty of item types, rather than skip right to the best stuff.

With all that considered, ebony scimitars might certaintly be worth puting in the game as a rare item but it depends on how Bethesda does the weapons and rare items.

<Crossbows>

Very high damage and armor penetration but take forever to reload making them impractical for a primarily ranged fighter but good for a warrior or assassin type character that just needs a clean ranged kill every once in a while.

<Katanas and Scimitars>

Preferably ones that handle and behave like actual katanas and scimitars not maces that look like a katana or scimitar. (I am looking at you Akaviri Katana. Also yes I know it was the character animations for one-handers not the sword that was the issue.)

<Chains>

A chain of some sort you can use in your off-hand to either lash at someone with or wrap around their weapon to yank it out of their hands. (Yes I know the scripting and what not would be a pain in the ass but hey its an idea.)

<Flails>

A player with a low skill perhaps has a chance to hurt themselves with it.

<Bladed Gauntlets>

Would make Hand-to-Hand not suck assuming that isn't one of the skills cut in Skyrim.

<Shields as a offensive weapon>

Someone with a high block skill can shield bash their adversaries and I don't mean the whimpy Oblivion shield bash I mean like full force running start nail the guy in the jaw with the sharp edge of the shield.

<Magic effects on target>

A powerful Fire spell may set your enemy on fire making him panic and try to pat himself out. A strong frost spell make freeze an enemy solid allowing you to shatter him with a melee blow. A strong shock spell may cause random muscle spasms in your enemy making him flinch randomly or even drop his weapon.

<Right tool for the job!>

A mace has better purchase on an enemy clad in platemail or think animal hide than a sword would, a sword thrust or arrow make pierce chainmail while a slash may not be as effective, clever use of a shield may dampen incoming magic damage, etc.

<Anatomy>

An arrow in your adversaries leg may slow him to a stagger, a blow to the helmet with a mace may disorient or even render someone unconscious, a slash to a major artery may cause the enemy to bleed out slowly, broken bones, etc. Possibly even dismemberment for powerful blows that would finish an enemy off anyway but not so common it turns into God of War. I like the Elder Scrolls stance of not making the game,"WTF BLOW EVERYTHING INTO TINY LITTLE CHUCK OF MEAT!! SHOCK VALUE!! MEDIA ATTENTION"

<Spears, Halberts, Poleaxes>

While not the idea choice for up close 1 on 1 combat could prove more effective against larger adversaries such as dragons and mammoths.

<Mounted weapon combat>

We all ran into highwaymen and wolves in Oblivion and had to dismount to fight. You all know you wanted to just keep going and lob the guys head off with your sword as you rode by or even trample the guy.

i think it would be cool if you could buy a farm in the game someplace and grow stuff on it or maybe have people work on it and it gives you a steady income like 50 gold weekly depending who you hire what you grow ect. and you could buy more than one and expand on it. i think that would be pretty cool

I really liked the stone idea, kudos for that. Let's say you were to add glowing ancient rune inscriptions on some, possibly draconic. They could predate the elder scrolls and have uncomparable mysticle properties. Edited by dovahkiin187

I really hope to see more diverse blunt things. I have always played a nord with clubs. And I mean vicious spiked clubs of ass-kickery. They only had one club in Vanilla oblivion, and every other blunt was either a hammer of some sort, or Axes. Which was silly. :c

I'd like it if they'd make the damage based more on the size of the weapon (daggers do the least, claymores or some other type of great sword could do the most.) rather than it being based mostly on material difference. There still should be a difference, but a steel longsword should do a similar amount of damage to the elven longsword, but the swing speed and material endurance should be the major difference. I think that's how Minecraft does it....

That would definitely apply to maces and such. More dense alloys would cause more blunt damage and have more material endurance.

Armor should be stronger depending on the material and type definitely, though. I'm too tired to come up with more....

I'd like it if they'd make the damage based more on the size of the weapon (daggers do the least, claymores or some other type of great sword could do the most.) rather than it being based mostly on material difference. There still should be a difference, but a steel longsword should do a similar amount of damage to the elven longsword, but the swing speed and material endurance should be the major difference. I think that's how Minecraft does it....

That would definitely apply to maces and such. More dense alloys would cause more blunt damage and have more material endurance.

Armor should be stronger depending on the material and type definitely, though. I'm too tired to come up with more....

I'm not sure who you mean by "they", this thread is about a mod I'm working on. We can only presume Bethesda is continuing a similar tradition of item materials until they announce otherwise.

However I will elaborate on the flaws of your logic and why weapon damage based on weight is not a good idea.

An iron sword may have the same volume as one constructed primarily of steel, however the iron subject will have a greater mass. While this would lead one to believe the iron sword would be more effective, it is common knowledge the steel sword will be more effective due to the greater precision in it's edge and it's ability to keep such an edge sharper for a longer time. Now, a larger sword made of steel will do more damage than one which is smaller and also made of steel, but that is already taken into account in all Bethesda games with the difference of weapon types ei. dagger, long sword, two handed sword etc. Daggers have always done less damage than a Claymore.

This logic however get's tricky when dealing with fictional elements and materials, with details of mass, volume, malleability, and tensile strength often not available or depending on vague factors like magic, craftsmanship and unknown alloys. We can presume that a Mithril sword would be more effective than a steel sword, and have less mass, but we cannot really say this with exact certainty.

Furthermore, with such a mod I plan to alter the mass of all weapons to more accurately represent functional weapons in their historical counterparts. For example, a single handed steel sword, realistically may weigh only 3-4 lbs or so depending on the design. To be functional, all weapons, regardless of their primary material of construction, would have to have similar weights, or otherwise be unfit for combat. So, naturally an iron sword and a steel sword would have similar weight, being of the same purpose, but the iron sword would be slightly smaller. This is a possible explanation for why many Bronze and Iron Age weapons were smaller than their Steel counter parts.

AND to make matters even more complicated you then need to take into account a weapon's design, function and purpose. Greater mass in a sword meant for stabbing will do little to expand it's effectiveness (and in many cases actually make it worse), while greater mass in a sword meant for chopping will actually improve it's ability.

It really starts to get even more complex when you then take into consideration the effectiveness of a material is then dependent on its material's precise characteristics as a function of it's purpose. For example, if I were making a blade for stabbing I would want it to be higher tempered so that it were harder and kept it's point better. If I were making a blade for drawn cuts, I would want it to be harder tempered on the edge but softer on it's spine to absorb blows but keep an edge. If I were making a blade for chopping, a firm but not overly tempered metal would be useful for reducing the reverberations of blows and allowing the blade to be easily honed.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece