Fallout 4 mods will be on Xbox One, thoughts ?

NILLOC916

But at the same time, is it really that serious? I heard about the DMCAs and lawsuits, and one side of me is saying yes, that's wrong, and another side of me is saying, it's isn't the devil's work. Mods creators aren't YouTubers, they don't get profit from free mods. And I hope I'm not stepping out of line here but it's free internet content, right? Lawsuits cost money and modders aren't rich people. This is probably the grayest area of discussion ever. I feel bad, but I don't. Am I the only one?

"But at the same time, is it really that serious?" Ask yourself that question.

These authors were really looking forward to sharing their mods with the console people, but they needed time to convert them properly and upload them themselves. The mod pirates didn't want to wait and, despite the author publicly announcing it's going to be ported, just went ahead regardless and uploaded a premature, and often dangerous to consoles, version on their own. Just look at the comments now. How many pirated mods have already bricked peoples games?

Additionally, this blatant display of the utmost disrespect towards those mostly altruistic people, despite their expressed wishes, the rules and the laws still going ahead and ignoring them regardless, often also pointing fingers and bragging about there not being anything they could do about it, has left a sour taste in many an author's mouthes. Even I am not taking it kindly, and I'm not even intending to ever mod that game.

As a result many authors are now taking down their mods, locking them away until better times to come, introducing means of effectively DRM to render them completely unusable on consoles, until they themselves go along and release a proper version, other authors were initially going to but have now decided it's not worth the bother in light of these events, some cancelled their conversion projects even, and the masses of console users over on Bethesda.net speaking up for the pirates instead of for the authors, and even more sadly the silent majority of you good guys not chiming in at all, have put a lot of authors off up to the point they don't want to have anything what-so-ever to do with it anymore and just decided it's time to completely quit instead.

Like I said in another topic already, the majority of authors is seriously reconsidering their will to share as we speak (I'm not saying they will stop, just that they're thinking about it right now), and the numbers of those who actually have quit already are rising alarmingly every day.

So again, ask yourself that question... is this serious enough for you already? Or do you think the community should take some more damage still?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow some real elitist people here eh?...Having played mods on the xbone I can assure you that any lag or frame rate isssues are pretty low. Those saying that mods should stay on pc are either misinformed or elitist. I don't have time for that in this community.

Wow some real elitist people here eh?...Having played mods on the xbone I can assure you that any lag or frame rate isssues are pretty low. Those saying that mods should stay on pc are either misinformed or elitist. I don't have time for that in this community.

It is a simple fact that mods aren't usually optimized with lower end specs in mind. So mods that change physics or lighting are going to take their toll more noticeably on an xbox compared to a mid-range PC or better.

Mods that change textures or increase object/NPC count will do the same.

I'm not backing up these elitist posts you've seen, but it is true some mods are not going to be console friendly even if the mod author releases them to consoles. The best part with modding is that you decide if it's worth it or not.

As someone who is new to modded content, but has been playing Fallout for years, I am extremely excited and have been having a lot of fun with different mods.

On the other hand, I really hate that people have been stealing mods from Nexus and uploading them to Bethesda. I do not support stolen content period, and anyone I talk to about the issue I urge them not to support stolen content as well. I wish that wasn't going on with mods going to console. I've actually yet to start researching and see how much of a problem it was before console mods were available.

On another note the claims about lag I've seen are actually false. I just read a comment where it was stated that mods would make the game unplayable. In all actuality it's not any worse. I played the vanilla game for 20 or so hours before I started over with mods. My game experience has been much better. With so much more to build in my settlement I actually have to go out and search for more junk supplies. I've added in more aliens, beantown interiors has been great, plenty o exploration, mo quests, and so many more sweet add one have made the game so much richer. The game still runs just as smooth, and a LOT less buggy because of the unnofficial patch.

As far as performance goes I have plenty of mods in the game and it's great. I am sure that even if they expanded the 2GB for more modding room that there wouldn't be any issue, unless someone didn't understand the load order of mods. With the mods being stolen though, that's something that has a huge downside with console mods. I feel that Bethesda should do more to prevent this, and maybe even hire a team of employees just to attack this issue. I mean I've read stuff about modders wanting to port their mods to console but just don't have the time or patience to do this, if the people that are stealing would actually get permission from the owners of the mod and work it out with them, we could actually take the issue of "stolen mods" and turn it into a free porting service so that modders could have their work ported into console form for them. That would be a great way to solve two problems at once. But having someone organize this would probably be too much to bear. Maybe sometime in the future these issues will be easier to deal with. I surely hope so.

I don't know what kind of mods are being used for Xbox One right now but many mods will slow down the game depending on what they're used for. Commonly graphic mods but if there's too much going on for console hardware to handle, such as a large battle, you'll see it.

I'm just not sure if those mods are out there right now. I've found that the PC mods don't really add much outside of retextures, new weapons, and some new NPCs who are reskins of existing NPCs with varied stats.

Maybe I'm the minority on this, but I post YouTube videos, videos of me recreating music in the game(GTA V), using the game files, that's my original creation(custom music) but am I gonna file a lawsuit if someone else uploads and/or uses my content? No. I didn't do it for money and I did it for free, and I shared or publicly. So I honestly wouldn't give a s#*!. I think that's just me though. Sorry if I sound like B.S. but I'm telling the truth. And no. I'm still not saying it's okay to reupload mods.

If you requested people don't upload it elsewhere and people did, that'd be very inappropriate of them and you'd have every right to be irritated at this.

It's irrelevant if you personally care about your work being taken and uploaded elsewhere anyway. A mod developer shouldn't have to worry about their mods being uploaded to an officially supported site without their permission.

It is a simple fact that mods aren't usually optimized with lower end specs in mind. So mods that change physics or lighting are going to take their toll more noticeably on an xbox compared to a mid-range PC or better.

Mods that change textures or increase object/NPC count will do the same.

I'm not backing up these elitist posts you've seen, but it is true some mods are not going to be console friendly even if the mod author releases them to consoles. The best part with modding is that you decide if it's worth it or not.

To be fair there are mods out there that focus on being usable on almost any kind of specs and performance mods. True, some mods aren't console friendly but I don't feel because some out there wouldn't be doesn't necessarily mean the practice shouldn't be given to console players.

I think even mods that would stress a console should be an option for console players. Any mod is fair game if you ask me, as long as the author is okay with it being there. I meant to convey that in the post you replied to. Freedom to break your game the way you see fit is important to me, and I meant that both seriously and jokingly.