⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Fallout 4 mods will be on Xbox One, thoughts ?

NILLOC916

Save your mods. By this I mean put DRM on them that prevents them from being used on the XBOX (and in the future Playstation). Mods should be PC Exclusive. If Playstation can have exclusive games for it's platform then so can the PC. Mods don't belong on consoles. Kiddies have consoles because they are simple. Mods are complex. In other words....it's for the best. Also most game developers that make games for PC and Console have to DUMB the game DOWN for it to be playable on the console platform and THAT IS A FACT not an opinion. The truth hurts sometimes.

This is my personal opinion and in no way reflects the view of Nexus or other sites that host mods.

Jack (aka vertigo1055)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main issue with console mods is the conundrum it creates with stolen mods and the general community for consoles is far more critical and demanding.

On PC people who mod a lot tend to be a bit more patient and understanding of the hard work that goes into game mods. It's new territory for most console gamers I'd imagine and they don't seem to quite understand this new community that's been opened to them and I worry their abrasiveness may hurt the Bethesda modding arena.

I think it's a great idea in concept, it just needs refinement and, if you ask me, less restrictions. If they want to break their game that should be up to them, I'm sure many of us have modded it until we broke it even with high end systems in Skyrim's early years.

As a console player, what are your opinions on mods being ported to console from Nexus Mods? A lot of theft has been going around and with the PS4 community soon to get mods, what do you think about the situation? And what are you guy's opinion on what is theft? What are the 'rules' and such. Like what is your opinion on someone who took a mod from Nexus Mods and it appeared on Bethesda.net and console with the scenarios of credit and giving no credit? At what point does it become theft? Because if someone takes a mod from Nexus Mods and puts it on Bethesda.net and console and gives credit without permission from the mod creator, would that be theft, or not? By the way, utmost respect for PC Master Race. Edited by Dashaquavius

As a console player, what are your opinions on mods being ported to console from Nexus Mods? A lot of theft has been going around and with the PS4 community soon to get mods, what do you think about the situation? And what are you guy's opinion on what is theft? What are the 'rules' and such. Like what is your opinion on someone who took a mod from Nexus Mods and it appeared on Bethesda.net and console with the scenarios of credit and giving no credit? At what point does it become theft? Because if someone takes a mod from Nexus Mods and puts it on Bethesda.net and console and gives credit without permission from the mod creator, would that be theft, or not? By the way, utmost respect for PC Master Race.

Taking something someone else made without permission is theft. Plain and simple. Giving credit to the creator does not diminish the theft.

As a console player, what are your opinions on mods being ported to console from Nexus Mods? A lot of theft has been going around and with the PS4 community soon to get mods, what do you think about the situation? And what are you guy's opinion on what is theft? What are the 'rules' and such. Like what is your opinion on someone who took a mod from Nexus Mods and it appeared on Bethesda.net and console with the scenarios of credit and giving no credit? At what point does it become theft? Because if someone takes a mod from Nexus Mods and puts it on Bethesda.net and console and gives credit without permission from the mod creator, would that be theft, or not? By the way, utmost respect for PC Master Race.

Taking something someone else made without permission is theft. Plain and simple. Giving credit to the creator does not diminish the theft.
But at the same time, is it really that serious? I heard about the DMCAs and lawsuits, and one side of me is saying yes, that's wrong, and another side of me is saying, it's isn't the devil's work. Mods creators aren't YouTubers, they don't get profit from free mods. And I hope I'm not stepping out of line here but it's free internet content, right? Lawsuits cost money and modders aren't rich people. This is probably the grayest area of discussion ever. I feel bad, but I don't. Am I the only one?

It doesn't matter if they profit or not, it is their work. Free because they choose to share it. It is their gift to the community and it's as simple as that. They may not want their work on another platform for any reason, and that reason doesn't matter because again, it's their work.

I can't fathom the notion that it's somehow okay to steal someone's work because it's on the internet.

It's fantastic that mods are making their way to consoles. It's a foot in the door to another world in gaming and possibly sets a huge precedent in the gaming industry; pissing off those who make it possible is not how you foster moving forward, however.

It doesn't matter if they profit or not, it is their work. Free because they choose to share it. It is their gift to the community and it's as simple as that. They may not want their work on another platform for any reason, and that reason doesn't matter because again, it's their work.

I can't fathom the notion that it's somehow okay to steal someone's work because it's on the internet.

It's fantastic that mods are making their way to consoles. It's a foot in the door to another world in gaming and possibly sets a huge precedent in the gaming industry; pissing off those who make it possible is not how you foster moving forward, however.

You put that perfectly in my opinion. Especially the last bit. If things can be smoothed out, and everything can put back on the right track (in other words, having this theft problem reduced to a more acceptable number) then this could pan out as a huge boon for modding. Maybe more developers will be willing to release mod tools, and stuff like that. Things have to improve for that happen though.

I think mods for the consoles is a great idea. One thing I have been very curious about is how these mods will be put in the proper load order like they need to be for PCs to avoid constant crashes.

One mod that I know console users will appreciate is Atomic Radio. No need for any console users to post that mod in their own name, since it is already at Bethesda.net.

I think mods for the consoles is a great idea. One thing I have been very curious about is how these mods will be put in the proper load order like they need to be for PCs to avoid constant crashes.

One mod that I know console users will appreciate is Atomic Radio. No need for any console users to post that mod in their own name, since it is already at Bethesda.net.

From what I've seen you need to manually adjust the Load Order. Looks a bit like the Load Order section of the Skyrim Launcher, the little up and down arrows being used for sorting plugins.

Right on DaddyDirection! I'm hoping for the best and that Bethesda and the community can get this sorted together for the benefit of all. Longterm, the main hurdle I can see remaining is the differences in community. While the PC community has its share of annoying and disrespectful gamers I feel that there are factors that contribute to the PC community being a lot more mature in general. Consoles by design are easy, quick, and quick to satisfy with minimal troubleshooting which is great, but it does attract those who expect things to work just because that's the way things are.

What I'm getting at is that the console community is inherently more immature and I imagine less willing to fumble with extensive modding or the woes that erupt from playing with your game. Saves will be ruined and mod authors will be blamed. Load orders will be improper and mod authors will be blamed. Mods will be incompatible and mod authors will be blamed.

I don't see that ending even when everything else is smoothed over. Console gamers may be ecstatic to have mods made available to them, but they haven't considered the hours of tutorials, tips and tricks, and youtube videos that I'm sure most PC modders have gone through to get their game where they want it. While this may not be so bad due to console limitations, it is still going to be part of the experience, particularly as more mods are made available to the console community and as a result more avenues for frustration.

That is something I feel will always divide the community and if this is all smoothed out will be the next big hurdle to cross.

I'd like to note that the main obstacle my friends have found with modding, even with simple mods and the conveniences Nexus offers, is the knowledge needed to get that amazing version of Skyrim or Oblivion. Even Fallout 4, with all the modern conveniences that are available, my friends don't know that load order is going to be an issue. Or that even though a mod says NPCs will spawn with this item, they won't because another mod promises the same and takes precedence. They're not dumb, they just don't know and the frustration pushes them away to the point where mods remain viewed through Youtube and screenshots.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away but I feel that community is an often overlooked piece to gaming.