Will V be "canned" the way Oblivion was?

Goodfortitude

They announced that while Skyrim won't actually be larger than Cyrodiil in terms of area, it will still feel and be bigger. Know what that means? You know how the Morrowind map was actually really small compared to Cyrodiil, but felt HUGE because of how it was designed?

Morrowind was huge because you could spend an hour in one town then walk across hills getting completely lost before you find your way to the cave. Skyrim will be tiny because you get your quest which is predesigned for your level then quicktravel to the nearest point and follow your compass straight there. No matter how well they detail the dungeons, no player interaction and no exploration can only equal a small railroaded walk.

Maybe they will give us the option for fast travel and hint based systems. there could be an extra achievement for completing the main quest with these turned off leaving you with the feeling that you've truly accomplished something earning you an awesome new power, maybe, and yes skyrim will probably seem bigger!

~"THNKTSDTHBX IOUIEEO"~

Edited by dovahkiin187

It looks like Skyrim will be a happy compromise between Morrowind and Oblivion. I hope the Dev team at Beth realized Oblivion had a lot of immersion problems with it and the environment itself felt stagnant and repetitive. I'm happy to hear about some of the changes, such as the perk system applying to weapon skills. Hopefully this will account for the horrible way those skills were implemented in the game; with perks you should be able to specialize what kind of bladed weapon you want to use (dagger over a claymore) and still be fun to use at higher levels. I never understood the argument to take fast travel out of the game, they included it for a reason, and it is an option. If you don't like it, don't use it. The Silt Strider service in Morrowind was awesome because it felt like there was a connection to the major cities and gave you a sense there was a commerce environment built around the traveling system. Boats would be awesome, and while you're traveling along the road seeing a caravan with food supplies being attacked by bandits would give the player some real choice on how to interact with the world (stand by and let it happen, or help the caravan and earn their favor).

From the limited information available to us right now it looks like Beth learned from their mistakes in Oblivion and are taking what made their previous titles so successful and using that vision for Skyrim. I'm looking forward to a game with a flushed out culture and a true sense of the player being the sole hope to save the world from what threatens it. Morrowind certainly delivered on that front. In Oblivion you were a mere observer while Martin got to have all the fun. My sense is the eminent doom of the world can only be stopped by you, the player in the next installment. And thank Azura for that.

It looks like Skyrim will be a happy compromise between Morrowind and Oblivion. I hope the Dev team at Beth realized Oblivion had a lot of immersion problems with it and the environment itself felt stagnant and repetitive. I'm happy to hear about some of the changes, such as the perk system applying to weapon skills. Hopefully this will account for the horrible way those skills were implemented in the game; with perks you should be able to specialize what kind of bladed weapon you want to use (dagger over a claymore) and still be fun to use at higher levels. I never understood the argument to take fast travel out of the game, they included it for a reason, and it is an option. If you don't like it, don't use it. The Silt Strider service in Morrowind was awesome because it felt like there was a connection to the major cities and gave you a sense there was a commerce environment built around the traveling system. Boats would be awesome, and while you're traveling along the road seeing a caravan with food supplies being attacked by bandits would give the player some real choice on how to interact with the world (stand by and let it happen, or help the caravan and earn their favor).

From the limited information available to us right now it looks like Beth learned from their mistakes in Oblivion and are taking what made their previous titles so successful and using that vision for Skyrim. I'm looking forward to a game with a flushed out culture and a true sense of the player being the sole hope to save the world from what threatens it. Morrowind certainly delivered on that front. In Oblivion you were a mere observer while Martin got to have all the fun. My sense is the eminent doom of the world can only be stopped by you, the player in the next installment. And thank Azura for that.

Agreed I liked the Fast Travel for one: Didn't want to be playing the game the whole day and two: Traveling everywhere would probably not let me finish my college work when I take a break as it would take forever to complete the quests.

But I do have an idea for those who don't like fast-traveling put an animation and a spell that would take some of your magick away when you fast travel now it's more like teleportation. That way it would be fair for most unless you don't like that idea.

In Skyrim, the quest you receive will be for locations that you haven't visited before

Your using the Radiant Story system to add more nuances to the quests is that right? 03:23

We have this new piece of tech called Radiant Story, like the Radiant AI, kind of uses the same paradigm in terms of taking a quest or any activity and saying "well, we want this to be a specific activity or we're going to let the game choose". So it's a really, really powerful tool that honestly we're still figuring out how to use. There are some really nice ways that we can use it where you go to town and you run into a character and the Radiant Story system can say "i have a quest template that would fit this character and your character, I'm going to give you a quest right now". It's tiny one, the bigger story based ones, the factions, the main quest, we're still writing by hand but we're using Radiant Story. The Radiant Story system even to make those quests, even when all the roles in the things are very, very specific, it's how we make quests now.

Assuming skyrim fixes this it will be great.

So tell me about the area of Skyrim and how it compares to Cyrodiil in Oblivion. 00:30

In terms of size, first of all it's about the same size. It's different in that it's very mountainous, so the way we use the geography is a lot different. So it creates a different scale even though it's roughly the same size. But it is the northern most province in Tamriel and it's very rugged. One of the reasons we really wanted to do Skyrim was it has this kind of rugged, ancient, despite it being fantasy, this lower tech feel to it, it's more brutal. Coming off of Oblivion which feels more King Aurthur almost like Renaissance Fair and this is more Conan. The landscape lends itself to lots of different types of areas. Not just all snowy mountain peaks, more Scandinavian rather, these tundras, pine forests, fall forests, volcanic tundra and this area called the Reach which is really craggy and then to the northern part of Skyrim we have these ice glaciers. So even though it is all in one province we're trying to mix up the types of landscapes your going to see much more than we did in Oblivion.

I think if we look at Fallout 3 there is reason for some optimism, they did address the scaling and copy/paste dungeons, if they build on that then all should be fine.

I don't think many people had issues with fast travel, it was the way it was implemented. Morrowind had transport systems that made sense, Oblivion had the player teleporting from anywhere, it was no different to cheating with the console in Morrowind.

I don't think many people had issues with fast travel, it was the way it was implemented. Morrowind had transport systems that made sense, Oblivion had the player teleporting from anywhere, it was no different to cheating with the console in Morrowind.

Fast travel, by definition, traveling instantaneously from one location to another, is an absolute necessity in the game. Quite simply you cannot expect everyone to have the patience to walk back, in real time, from one location to another every time they need to... it would be mind numbingly annoying.

However there are much more intelligent, creative and fulfilling solutions than simply allowing a player to teleport at a whim whenever it pleases him to any location he has been before. The use of this all encompassing fast travel eliminates any need for a creative system such as what was available in Morrowind and detracts from the overall depth and believability present within the game.

Sorry, red wine rambling...