Morals teaching to children/teenagers

SilverDNA

"(that have no other reason to be respected)"

Think everyone missed that...

What I am trying to say is that a teacher/parent has the same obligation to gain respect as the child/student.

No...they have the same obligation to KEEP it. If as a society we wait til people earn the respect they are shown things would be insane...as is the point of kids acting like idiots. When you no longer have cause to respect someone, then you offer your civility and nothing more.

Replying to the topic in general:

Of course a parent needs to teach her children morals/ethics. Ultimately, every person is going to have a mindset of what is right and what is wrong, no matter what. If they don't learn it from their parents, they're going to learn from their peers, from the media, or through some other medium. Assuming the parent(s) want the best for their children, they should most definitely teach them what they think is best, right?

Edited by Dicecaster

When my daughter was young I tried to teach her as if this was the way to be "good" and ;eft it at that. Now that she is older and her brain is catching up to her body (lol) I try to explain the WHY of the matter. This way she can see the reason and then even continue to think for herself. I do not want her to be blindly lead like a bunch of sheep (off topic--sorry my sheep friends) but to understand, to be compassionate and to THINK for herself.

And believe it or not...teaching a child to think for themselves isn't easy....or as simple as not giving them rules or leaving some knowledge vacuum.

So yes it is the parents responsibility. It is a huge and important thing...and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

if a hot chick wants to walk around toppless, i am cool with it!

in all seriousness, genders ARE different. Im gonna stick with topslessness and say "Keep your shirt on" Women's chests are seen as sexual organs (and trust me when i say my girlfriend would agree, they arent just lobs of flesh hanging there) For men, shirtlessness is considered manly! Many great warrior peoples went without a shirt, or very little of a shirt. Gender equality would remove some of the attraction. MOST men prefer more feminine women. It gives them a sense of having someone else to protect and provide for. A sense of being a MAN

MOST Women prefer manly men. The strong ones that can hold their own. It gives them a sense of security to have a strong man looking out for them. It gives them a sense of SAFETY

Men and Women's minds work differently, to make then "equal" phsyically would remove some of the aspects that drive us. To keep a woman's shirt on is to say "This is only for one man" for a man to take his shirt off says "I am strong, don't mess with me!"

That and some women's breasts can be just god awful, and can some men's. So lets just keeps everyone a little happier with the view. Not that id like to see a hot chick walking toples down the street, but id prefer walking next to my girlfriend with her shirt on, knowing that im the only guy to see whats under it.

but what do i know? im just the king of the lounge

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/296453-topfree-equality

Bit confused about your post o.o

i admit, i was kind of offtrack at first, but i have edited to make it more relevant

that or it transported me from one topic to the next, or i saw something that wasnt there

What I am trying to say is that a teacher/parent has the same obligation to gain respect as the child/student.

No...they have the same obligation to KEEP it. If as a society we wait til people earn the respect they are shown things would be insane...as is the point of kids acting like idiots. When you no longer have cause to respect someone, then you offer your civility and nothing more.

What I meant by "gain" was that a lot of authoritarian figures always say that others have to gain their respect. It would be great if everyone would respect everyone though without any issues...

What I meant by "gain" was that a lot of authoritarian figures always say that others have to gain their respect. It would be great if everyone would respect everyone though without any issues...

It must be earned through good actions that are appreciated or a very reasonable words. ( but actions speak louder) And what somebody can earn somebody may can lose by bad word and actions that are interpreted as non good by others .

So if soemone cant keep his word he mostly loses respect a bit. Behaves a bit like money.

So if respect is the only moral concept all here know or are there others that are good for children teenagers ?

Edited by SilverDNA

It must be earned through good actions that are appreciated or a very reasonable words. ( but actions speak louder) And what somebody can earn somebody may can lose by bad word and actions that are interpreted as non good by others .

So if soemone cant keep his word he mostly loses respect a bit. Behaves a bit like money.

So if respect is the only moral concept all here know or are there others that are good for children teenagers ?

It works like money if you start off with a million dollars.

I don't think respect is the only thing, I think teaching about free thinking is the most important thing for people to learn morals.

No one is going to teach teenagers morals, I don't know why that's in the topic title...

Morality is inherently built into homo sapiens. Studies have shown that even two year olds can distinguish between justice and injustice, right and wrong. It is a bio-chemica/neurological part of every human being, which can be furthered or pushed back by the environment. It is thus a myth that morals are 'taught' much as it is that children 'learn' a language. We are hardwired for both.

Hardwired, perhaps. However knowing the difference between right and wrong isn't maybe the same thing as morality. There is religious morality for example and we all know how that can vary VERY widely. So this is taught along with things like prejudice.

No..respect isn't the only thing and I believe I mentioned kindness and thinking for oneself. Having compassion is something I try to teach mine. She recently went through a phase where it was always this, "I'm sorry" very abrupt and you go the feeling she was saying it just because the knew this was the thing to say, there was not true sense of regret. This is something that seems to happen at this age. Teenagers are very self absorbed and narcissistic.

But what is important to teach the children moral wise is often dictated by the morality itself. In some places religion would be the moral upbringing.

The most important thing though..regardless of whatever else parents have going in their lives...children MUST be the top priority. Until parents accept this responsibility above all ohters I fear things will be more of the same with today's youth.