How to fix all the broken links?

SeedReaper

BigBizkit, would it be possible at least to warn mod authors when Nexus makes changes that affects links and urls? In the Site News tab at least? And give us clear directions about what to do to fix broken links in the same time?

I've been away for a few months and only accidentally found that links were broken again when I saw that media links in my description pages no longer displayed properly. I had taken the time to fix them all last winter already and had no idea they'd break again so soon.

Also broken media links are pretty obvious, but mods' or articles' broken links are not, we need to check them one by one to make sure, or wait for a user to report them. Personally, I hardly ever check my mods' description pages (who does unless we need to update them?), it takes enough time already to deal with false bugs or crazy conflicts reports.

It'd be way more efficient to warn us somehow and give us proper directions, don't you think? We'd still have to fix them one by one, at least until devs find a way to automatically update all links, but it'd spare us the puzzle of figuring out what the heck new proper links could be...

BigBizkit, would it be possible at least to warn mod authors when Nexus makes changes that affects links and urls? In the Site News tab at least? And give us clear directions about what to do to fix broken links in the same time?

I've been away for a few months and only accidentally found that links were broken again when I saw that media links in my description pages no longer displayed properly. I had taken the time to fix them all last winter already and had no idea they'd break again so soon.

Also broken media links are pretty obvious, but mods' or articles' broken links are not, we need to check them one by one to make sure, or wait for a user to report them. Personally, I hardly ever check my mods' description pages (who does unless we need to update them?), it takes enough time already to deal with false bugs or crazy conflicts reports.

It'd be way more efficient to warn us somehow and give us proper directions, don't you think? We'd still have to fix them one by one, at least until devs find a way to automatically update all links, but it'd spare us the puzzle of figuring out what the heck new proper links could be...

I appreciate what you are saying and I understand that it can be frustrating, though, frankly, the ideal solution would be if we were able to just update the links on our end. Some progress was made yesterday when at least the previews (and some links) started working again - though the webteam is still looking into it.

Thanks for the reply, BigBizkit. And thanks to the webteam for trying to implement an automated solution - I have no doubt their plate is full already!

• 1 year later...

It's extremely frustrating to come across a compilation such as this one when all of the links are in the legacy format. Why the issue hasn't been fixed?

I don't know if it's possible to create a userscript to convert the links or redirect all without affecting page load times.

Since you don't know how to do it, I will explain. You see the numbers after mods/ and before /?. Those are the file numbers.

Just go to any mod page for the game and change the numbers in your browser.

The mod uploader is actually responsible to ensure the mod page for their mod is maintained.

If it is such a bother to you, why don't you contact the administration and volunteer to go through all the thousands of mods and make any changes to the links that are necessary?

It's extremely frustrating to come across a compilation such as this one when all of the links are in the legacy format. Why the issue hasn't been fixed?

I don't know if it's possible to create a userscript to convert the links or redirect all without affecting page load times.

Since you don't know how to do it, I will explain. You see the numbers after mods/ and before /?. Those are the file numbers.

Just go to any mod page for the game and change the numbers in your browser.

The mod uploader is actually responsible to ensure the mod page for their mod is maintained.

If it is such a bother to you, why don't you contact the administration and volunteer to go through all the thousands of mods and make any changes to the links that are necessary?

Users as prominent as Gopher don't seem to maintain their pages, unfortunately: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/Users/38219?tab=user+files

Sorting by the most recent, mainly legacy links. Maybe I will help once I learn how and if the staff accepts external help from unknown users.

And I wasn't only thinking about myself, some users assume that Nexus is having downtime when the links don't work and mods receive slightly less traffic.