Hungry Survivalist

ElioraArin

Scenario: You are a realism adventurer but your latest expedition has taken longer than you expected, you are caught in a blizzard & have to make camp. Your travel provisions have run out but you have managed to loot/harvest/kill a limited selection of food that realistically you should be able to just chuck together to make a warming stew to satisfy your urgent survival stats - but there is no recipe that utilises these particular ingredients together!? Wouldn't it be great if you could just create a spur of the moment in game recipe with what you have?!

Is there anyone with the skill, time & interest to put this together?

Wouldn't it be great if you could just create a spur of the moment in game recipe with what you have?!

I saw your previous recipe request too and I thought about it for a while, the problem is that the game engine really needs to be told in some way what ingredients combine to make a specific dish in advance, unlike real life where you can combine stuff endlessly because chemistry will do its thing regardless.

To work around it, you'd either have to go through all possible permutations of ingredients and create the resulting dishes beforehand (herculean task), or have all non-recipe ingredients create a "mystery stew" with script-added random effects or something. Neither seems very satisfactory.

Maybe a brighter mind than me will see a solution that works but I think this may be if not impossible, extremely unlikely given the limitations of the game engines of this era.

I could see some sort of 'slop'/stew recipe being created through scripting (Simply put it could generate a certain amount of combinations based on what your inventory has and how many place holder recipes that were created) but even with that it will suffer from the same limitation of magic effects, afaik there is no dynamic way to attach new ones. Still it could be used by iNeed, FrostFall, RND etc. to boost their stats in a mostly accurate fashion with a little hooking. I could see the use of scripting to emulate actor value effects too that could match the ingredients you could put in.... hm....

I think I can get something workable and like the idea. I'll see what If what I think I can do will actually do what I think it will do in practice over the weekend. :tongue:

EDIT: Looked over at your other thread too, I have an idea I'll reply here when I am sure it will work.

Edited by TidalWraith

Thanks guys - I am only just starting to tinker around in the creation kit due to dissatisfaction with cooking immersion in the game, & I immediately realised that this is well beyond the scope of a complete newbie like myself to pull off! I am currently banging together some pre-determined recipes easily enough, but it's not quite the full fix that I'm after - I really appreciate your knowledge & any attempts at making this work :smile: I wouldn't even care if the food had no actual food affects such as restoring or fortifying health (it could even work immersion wise as a penalty for just mashing things together), the main thing I'm after is something that will satisfy my iNeed hunger & Frostfall exposure.

Edited by ElioraArin

I've been having some success with this with a little bit of work around I managed to make 3 generic stews Meat, Meat and Vegetable and just Vegetable. I just need to work out how to allow the major needs mods to register them (or how I can hook into them) and I think it will be all together.

Currently it will just take the raw meats / raw vegetables directly from your inventory without asking the specific ones to remove I just couldn't find a compact way to do that yet that was meaningful and not overly complex. Maybe someone else has an idea?

Currently the Menu sorta looks like this, I've managed to place them in another category to separate them for now but may just combine them back. (Fairly large image)

http://i.imgur.com/rHJrMCZ.jpg

The Requires shows how much Raw meat you have in your inventory and will use up one raw meat per creation, vegetable stew requires one raw vegetable and Meat & Vegetable stew uses one of each.

what do you think?

Edited by TidalWraith

This is absolutely fantastic!!! The only changes I would make would be to add in a seafood stew as well that would allow you to use fish you have caught or clams you have harvested. As most wilderness areas have edible plants that are actually ingredients (like snowberries, mushrooms & eggs) is it possible to use these items in the vegetable & meat vegetable stews? I'm guessing that would complicate things too much though! Thank you so much for putting your time & effort into this :D

Edited by ElioraArin

This is absolutely fantastic!!! The only changes I would make would be to add in a seafood stew as well that would allow you to use fish you have caught or clams you have harvested. As most wilderness areas have edible plants that are actually ingredients (like snowberries, mushrooms & eggs) is it possible to use these items in the vegetable & meat vegetable stews? I'm guessing that would complicate things too much though! Thank you so much for putting your time & effort into this :D

I had fish and clam just under raw meat, I just use formlists to list what items can be used so it isn't that difficult to add more or to add other 'type tokens' (the scripts are fairly generic). Various Mushrooms are under vegetables already :tongue:.... I could add a new generic for berries perhaps "Cooked Berries" which makes a bit more sense, think I might I like that idea.

Edited by TidalWraith

It's looking great! I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would utilise this in their game when it is up & running :smile:

I don't know if this will help you out or not, but one of the reasons I prefer iNeed is that it is compatible with a lot of food mods - I have found that it will even register some unknown foods from mods that aren't listed as compatible on the site, but not all of them (sometimes different foods from within the same mods will work while others won't). When it does register unknown things it brings up an in game menu that allows you to select whether the item is a drink or a food, & how satisfying it will be.

I'm hoping that if I design my own recipes for my game by just copying, renaming & tweaking a vanilla or DLC dish that I know works with iNeed & Frostfall the new item will as well? If I could put the kind of food I want in the game this way, plus using your mod when it is complete, I should finally be content with the disappointing cooking system in Skyrim without needing a multitude of food mods that add things I don't want while still leaving out things that I do!

Edited by ElioraArin

Went through iNeed and FrostFall, so it's now compatible with both of those mod. You just need to make sure your new foods are added to the right formlists (e.g _SNFood_SoupList or _DE_Foods10) of the mods. Created a compatibility script so load order won't break anything and people won't need to merge but for your recipes you could probably just add them via creation kit then merge Formlists through TESVEdit or WyreBash if needed.

Isoku mentioned how to patch in your custom foods in iNeed Comments so that might help you figure out where to place em but as you said it also has a discovery mechanic (which requires the item to have the VendorItemFood keyword to work so just make sure it has that :P) so that's up to you really.

Edited by TidalWraith