annoying ads!

Timberwolftrass2005

okay... i wanted to download a file and then had to endure 30 seconds of my life to watch a stupid, stupid, STUPID ad, that i had no interest in whatsoever.

now, i am not a premium member and i don't plan to become one either. i'm not exactly having a fortune for that kind of stuff...

anyways, the point i am kind of raging about is... is this REALLY necessary?

and before you say something, let me make one thing perfectly clear.

you guys run a website, hosting tons of data, available for anyone for free download. i can only imagine how costly that may be, with having to secure the data, etc, etc. and i can understand if you put on some ads to pump money into the site so it keeps on running. that's cool, no problem at all.

but here's the thing:

why do we have to endure about 30 seconds of a stupid ad we have most likely no interest in, prior our download that is being readied, without... you know... the option to turn the sound OFF?

i mean... throw me a bone, guys!

i don't mind waiting a few seconds for my download to be readied, but the least thing you could do is give the option to at least cut off the sound. the waiting itself is annoying enough, despite the fact that its perfectly understandable and reasonable, but now i can't even listen to whatever music i have on or watch something else on youtube?

throw me a bone

the least thing i want is to have to pause or mute whatever music or stream i am listening to, in order to prevent the very loud and very stupid ad to create an ear sodomy by mixing/interrupting with whatever music or stream it is i am listening to.

i mean... come on guys... a tiny button or something to alter the sound level with the option to turn the sound off? can we get that, please? i don't think that's to much to ask for...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably is. If you were an advertiser why would you want to give people the option to not listen? Anyhow, Dark0ne doesn't create or code the ads himself, so he wouldn't be the one to add a mute button, your barking up the wrong tree.

I agree that it's frustrating and hope he can find a less intrusive ad model but whining about it in a rant isn't really going to help things.

Don't you have a volume control on your computer, not on the ad?

Edit: Read further into the rant.. I'll go look in to see if there's an option on the browser to allow selective muting.

Anyways, Dark0ne needs the money. If you want the mods, consider that 30 seconds a small price to pay to receive someone else's hard work otherwise free of charge. These giant servers Dark0ne's running do cost a pretty penny to keep up.

Anyways, Dark0ne needs the money. If you want the mods, consider that 30 seconds a small price to pay to receive someone else's hard work otherwise free of charge. These giant servers Dark0ne's running do cost a pretty penny to keep up.

And agree on that !

I don't have a problem with muting it.

i believe running this site can be on someways like riding on a Mustang on a Texas rodeo, so I understand some of the things you do for us Dark0ne.

if you read this appeal to you that if you get a chance to change to multiple different commercials please do so.

(i know you cant directly change this and have only minimal influence on this matter)

The two commercials I get all the time drive me in to la-la land.

I either get a detergent advert witch makes me stand up and check my washing machine plug witch can be a real electricity eater in stand by....

... Or i get a hand washing soap advert that makes me get up and wash my hands...

At this rate i approximately will have in about half a year in that I either walked a deep line in to my floor or have my fingers of both hands rubed off with washing witch would make Internet communication more difficult as well as gaming good games or eaven more worse turn me in to Adrian Monk or all of that in different combinations.

Please more differently stuff on the 30 sec adverts.

Edited by SilverDNA

Sometimes even pushing a button (on your speaker) is to hard to do right?.... ...(?) But yes, they need advertisements to pay for these features. What they could do is advertise specifically to match the majority of viewers interests on this website, but still a lot of the boring ones tend to pay the most when viewed.

They break whenever they try to appear for me. Literally they fail to play and it goes straight to the download after showing a distorted version of the "watch this for half a minute of your life" page for a fraction of a second.

Whatever the reason I'm glad. f*** advertisers, if I want something I'll go and look for it and chose the one I want based on what I want, not on a small montage showing how your product will make me a socially capable male model with the reflexes of a spiderman-jackie chan hybrid! How the hell does car insurance do that anyway? Or internet services for countries I don't live in? Methods aside, why would I ever want to buy a product from a company that blew a ton of cash to make a thirty second propaganda film for their product instead of, you know, spending the cash on R&D to improve your product? I can understand something that says why we might want to buy your stuff, but a satnav finding you chunks of pristine, abandoned, racetrack-like roads to enjoy driving down, but how does that affect my choice on whether or not I want your car? Cars and fuel are expensive, does yours use less fuel? Is it more reliable? Is it cheaper? Does it come with the 'fun road finder' satnav? Most adverts are nonsensical bulls*** designed to get people not properly paying attention to associate whichever product is the subject with positive things... This all falls flat when you expose it internet users and try to direct their attention straight at it, most people will say "WTF is this?" complain about it and then associate your product/brand with having to turn off the bloody sound to shut up your stupid advert, or having to re-load a page just in the hope your advert won't be randomly chosen sop they can browse uninterrupted. That's why I m staying away from DC universe, the goddamn ads for it won't SHUT UP. I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE WITH STAN LEE IN A STUDIO, I'M TRYING TO LISTEN TO EPISODES OF "SPACED" STREAMED FROM CHANNEL4OD.COM! BUGGER OFF.

However, they're giving you money to run the nexus with, and if they think it's a good idea let 'em. At the end of the day in this situation we're getting the last laugh. Advertise me World of Warcraft: Cataclysm? Nice try but the whole concept of WoW makes me sick to my stomach so I think the nexus can have your advertising money and I'll be on my way.

The OP repeatedly refers to having to "endure 30 seconds".

If your endurance rate is that shallow then how are you able to do anything on a PC or the internet? I've never seen a Windows OS that will boot up in less than 30 seconds and the games featured here on the Nexus take more than 30 seconds to launch in order to play.

If you divide the hours in a day by 30 seconds you get 43200 increments of time you must "endure". Your life must be a constant struggle...http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/rolleyes.gif

Anyway...

I see the arguments for and against Nexus ads still rage on. As I've said before, if an ad or two are what I need to endure to continue to enjoy these great sites, resources and community, then I think it's a small price to pay and well worth it.