annoying ads!

Timberwolftrass2005

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't care much about the ads, however, if I could wish away one ad, it would be the MAT ear-rape. The thousand dollar wal-mart gift card ads a a joy compared to that.

I would fork over a few bucks again, but i'm in a serious monetary bind right now.

Honestly, I don't care much about the ads, however, if I could wish away one ad, it would be the MAT ear-rape. The thousand dollar wal-mart gift card ads a a joy compared to that.

I would fork over a few bucks again, but i'm in a serious monetary bind right now.

ya i couldn't agree more about the MAT ad. but at least it put a mute button on the ad now you won't go deaf from that annoying scream

ya i couldn't agree more about the MAT ad. but at least it put a mute button on the ad now you won't go deaf from that annoying scream

Hey, whadya know, there is a mute button. But when you open multiple pages, too late! And even worse, there can be two of those ads on one page. But the worst is that whisper. Heard that in my nightmares.

Lots of people who download for free without supporting the sites complaining ITT. The irony isn't wasted on me.

The best ones are the "I adblock everything and now I actually have to watch something? This is an outrage!" types :)

Actually I'd say in my case, I adblock all flash and unknown script types regardless of the site. Mostly because flash is the gateway to getting your PC jacked by malware, followed quickly by java and xss/css vulnerabilities. Yep I know you gotta support the site, but can you guarantee 100% that the ad server or those that are serving flash ads will never have a malware infecting ad displayed? If so, then you'll get unblocked. If not, then life goes on.

"Your download will be available after this brief video brought to you by Playwire.com."

I don't really mind text ads or static images hanging out on the page. I (barely) stomached the inline videos. This is too far for me. I already had adblock and flashblock turned on for this site after the first virus fiasco, but I still got this popup window, and there didn't appear to be a way to start the download without watching the video.

I realize things have to get paid for somehow, but there has to be a better way. Ads this heavy-handed are going to chase off your free users. Without your free users, download numbers will shrink, and modders won't find incentive to upload here. It's a downward spiral for everyone. I want this site to be successful because I want to continue hosting mods here and get the heavy foot traffic. So please, find another way to generate revenue other than scaring off the free users. Maybe find ways to improve the site, so that people will have greater incentive to pay for memberships. I paid for mine when I could out of loyalty and gratitude, not because of special features.

In fact, here's a thing I posted in a thread on the same subject on the official forums. Buddah rightly pointed out that we should be posting about it here, not there, so here's a paste:

To be fair, it stops being a "free" site if it only functions reasonably well for people who give the owner(s) money. TESNexus is intended to be a free site, last I checked; subscribers get benefits, sure, but basic use of the site is free. So, if the ads are so excessive that the site's functionality is lost to people who haven't paid, then that's going to provoke a lot of logically justified complaints.

Also to be fair, not everyone can afford a subscription, and you touting your good fortune is probably not going to change that, or get anyone on your side.

Furthermore, it would be to the detriment of the modding community if the larger majority who don't have a subscription lost their access to downloading mods. One of the foremost reasons modders host at Nexus is for the enormous site traffic. Take that away, and there will be plenty of modders who decide Nexus doesn't offer anything over other hosting sites. Take the mods away, and there go the users (subscribers and otherwise), too.

To draw that point out one more step, there are plenty of modders who are not subscribers, also. They are already contributing to the site by uploading popular mods that keep the traffic coming in. Asking them to pay or lose basic site functionality would be shooting oneself in the foot for any modding site owner (refer to my previous point).

My two cents!

So yeah, to those of you who say, "Just get a subscription! Easy pie!" Well, it's not for everyone, actually. You can't expect to know other people's circumstances. Also, not everyone is such a "hardcore" modder or mod user that they would pay, anyway - and they never will be if they grump off from modding sites because the ads are overwhelming.

So, there's my plea. Please find another way.

What basic functionality has been lost?

None, in fact.

I posted instructions to avoid the intrusive flash ads. It's still possible to download, even if only flash is blocked.

Usually you only end up waiting 15-20 seconds. In this time it's easy enough to open up another tab, look for another file, comment on a post, help someone in the technical forum, scratch your bum, get a drink of water... the extra time spent is barely noticed.

It's pretty much the equivalent of a user running into slightly more traffic than usual and the file downloading at a few k less per second.