annoying ads!

Timberwolftrass2005

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What basic functionality has been lost?

None, in fact.

I posted instructions to avoid the intrusive flash ads. It's still possible to download, even if only flash is blocked.

I wasn't stating functionality has been lost - that snippet is from another thread, as I mentioned, and it was theoretical. Though, I have heard some folks say they feel that it has already been lost, and that they are moving their mods elsewhere. So, the spiral has started. :confused:

• 3 months later...

One of the biggest complaints I have about these ads, they are gateways for hijackers. I have lost count on the number of times I got hit with the Win7 Home Security hijacker, and every time I got it, it was through a banner / flash ad. Its to the point I can remove the thing in my sleep because I have done it so many times.

One other thing that's really annoying here is that some ads run 15 seconds, others are 30-40 seconds, which is a bit much when you have to sit through 4 or 5 of them to dload 4-5 3k mods that take literally 2 seconds total. Perhaps a limit on how many of these ads play per minute per user may help?

Think about it this way

Lets say we have a one single modder and he made a sword.

It took him 5 hours to make that sword.

Think about it.

he wasted 5 hours of his life not being paid a SINGLE PENNY.

No matter if 10 or 10 million people downloaded the mod he wouldn't make any money

Now lets talk about nexus.

It was started by ONE SINGLE PERSON.

he (Robin Scott (Dark0ne)) has not made a penny off the donations but put everything for paying the server costs and site upgrades.

Think about this

If he wanted to shut this website down today. He could...

so say thank you to the simple things you get for only 30 seconds of watching an ad.

If you repeatedly get infected maybe you should learn a little about preventing infection.

Well then the obvious thing is to block all ads(aka ABP or it's like), use a hosts file, use no script and leave a site on it's own until it can safely state that it's ads will never, ever, ever serve an infected ad.

I don't know why people are complaining about them...still. It's been pointed out by Dark0ne why we need them. Yes, there are annoying ads, I'm stuck with Veet, Gaviscon and even those annoying interactive Nurofen ads, but do you see me complaining?

I have just accepted they are now a part of the Nexus and I just have to deal with it. I'm pretty sure that if Dark0ne had another viable option, he would take it. However, the only other option is to close the Nexus down.

I don't know why people are complaining about them...still. It's been pointed out by Dark0ne why we need them. Yes, there are annoying ads, I'm stuck with Veet, Gaviscon and even those annoying interactive Nurofen ads, but do you see me complaining?

I have just accepted they are now a part of the Nexus and I just have to deal with it. I'm pretty sure that if Dark0ne had another viable option, he would take it. However, the only other option is to close the Nexus down.

Personally my request has been simple enough. Ensure that the ad's and ad network will never, ever infect me, and you'll get my views. If he can't, won't, or shan't do that, then no views. It's pretty damn reasonable compared to having my banking information stolen. I dunno about you but blocking ads, or the possibility of losing the $40k in the bank because an ad injects malicious code which logs mah keys...choices, choices.

That and the last time I looked, he doesn't use anything besides paypal for to take payment. And I don't use that s*** for a very good reason.

If you use Adblock, fine. My point is that there's no point with people complaining about them if they're not willing to help themselves. You watch, if this thread is closed, sooner or later another thread like it will be started with someone complaining.