Morrowind total conversion using creation Kit

dovahkiin187

Well, should Morrowind be modded into Skyrim, I think the logical first step would be adding the territory to the immediate west, around the city of Blacklight. That way, the team working on the mod could get it's feet wet before moving on to the more difficult task of doing Vvardenfell, and the new area would connect with Skyrim, making it continuous.

No doubt those "Tamriel Rebuilt" people are thinking over this right now, even though they never get anything done. I'm not discouraged though. If there was ever an ES game that could benefit most from such a project, it's going to be Skyrim. With more organization, and leadership, and creativity, this could be done. Where there's a will there's a way, and there's going to be more than enough will to get this done, I'm sure.

Edited by Jermungand

Rather than trying to recreate the game Morrowind, I'd suggest simply recreating the land Morrowind. Make it up to date and all. The land and culture alone of Morrowind is very interesting to me, I'd be fine not having the original quests and NPCs and such. That ought not be taboo by any means. Look at Elsweyr and Tamriel Rebuilt's Morrowind mainland. Haven't seen anyone shutting those down.

But yes, I do agree, Red Mountain could stand to be more... intimidating. I've mentioned this before, but I like my mountains tall. You know, like how they are in real life. I realize in the past it simply wasn't feasible (or necessary in the absence of distant land view), but with Skyrim I do hope they make a good attempt at these mountains. From the screenshots shown, they certainly look promising.

At any rate, I'm not really holding my breath for this kind of thing to happen. Perhaps if Skyrim is received well by the Morrowind>>>Oblivion folk it could happen. Morroblivion was pretty pointless as it didn't change anything, and the lands of Vvardenfell and Solstheim mod just never got very far. Certainly though it would be great to see Morrowind rendered anew with the Creation Engine, regardless of quests. It also for me depends a bit on how the Dunmer actually look in Skyrim. Pretty ugly in Oblivion (though most races were). Will have to wait until more mugshots are shown.

I would like some clarification on this issue.

Let's say I made a mod for Skyrim, which didn't contain or port any Oblivion content, or upload said content in any way, but had Oblivion content the user must supply themselves as a requirement. Would this be acceptable?

As far as I can tell it's the actual uploading or porting of the content it's self which is illegal, not the authoring of a ESM file which utilizes said content if made available... :confused:

That is how Morroblivion works - You need to have Morrowind's files to make it work. And to answer your question, this is a no-no.

To make it a yes-yes, you will need to make your own resources from scratch. :)

While I respect your word and your probably right I would like to hear some official ruling on this sort of thing. I've been wanting to do some zone creation with the NV Geck lately and there is some content in FO3 DLCs I would need the new ESM to point to, since NV doesn't have certain resources like a big arse bridge... of course such an ESM would just be a single file, and contain no BSA's, meshes, textures or content. Would uploading such an ESM be allowed? :confused:

Morroskyrim you say?

Guys the game didn't even come out yet and we are already suggesting mods for it.

Oh Nexus community you so silly :P

But really if it contained textures that kinda looked like they were from morrowind we could recreate it. It would take a VERY long time and we wouldn't be able to recreate most NPCs anyway nor could we recreate the quests so why bother?

Think of it as making the entire game morrowind but instead of having an office full of level designers you make it by yourself or with a very small team.

Just remaking the land of morrowind would be kinda dull.

• 11 months later...

If Morroskyrim is going to be done, then I think it would be better if it would be like in Skyrim 4E 201. Let's say... Vvardenfell is starting to bring back trees and stuff, some cities have either reconstructed or just survived through. For example: Gnaar mok would be reconstructed in 4E 183 or something and Dagon Fel survived the whole thing. Ashlanders have somehow survived in some caves or came back from other lands (Azura led her followers to safety, right?). Only 2 Telvanni cities would still be there. Dunmer have started to fight for freedom giving Morroskyrim whole new plot. East Morrowind is Argonian land and west dunmer. Of course if you ask some dunmer about morrowind in skyrim, they tell it's still early to go there. We could change it like - Argonians made up stories, so less dunmer would come and help the remaining dumner and since The dunmeth path is guarded by Ancient Guardian who only let's the dunmer in and even they have to have good intentions. Then there could be New-Balmora and citizens, whose ancestors lived in Balmora, wants someone as their leader and guard to get them to ruins of Old Balmora and reconstruct it.

So plotline would be:

1: Fight for dunmer or argonians

2: Repair destroyed ancient Azura temples and bring more priests to Skyrim's Azura's shrine (has only 1 priestess there...)

3. Recreate Balmora and some more towns or forts (reconstructing Vvardenfell, let's say)

4. Making Thieves guild bigger and bigger (let's say that they have only 1 hideout close to Blackwatch

5. Dark brotherhood quests or maybe even Morag Tong

6. Defeat the spirit of Dagoth Ur who has tried to keep people away from most of Vvardenfell (It would be cool to bring him back)

7. Find the Last remaining dwarf (hidden in some cave with one of dead Divath Fyr's children maybe)

8. Complete the mystery of Vivec's dissapearance (visit Scathing bay and search ruins of Vivec)

9. Save Mournhold or some other city from the attack from Dwarven robots (I have read somewhere that there was vast Dwarven city under mournhold

10. Recreating House of Telvannis (I have checked the dunmer names in morrowind and Skyrim. I found 3-5 dunmer whose name was same with Telvanni members in morrowind. They said that Brand-Shei was the known Telvanni, but they didn't say Last and only Telvanni left. Let's say, 1 dunmer found out that he was once among telvannis and tries to reunite them. He gives you a list of once been Telvanni members and find out all dunmer whose family name was same

That's all of my ideas for now.

PS: We don't have to recreate then many towns and most of NPCs from Morrowind game. Also since red mountain blew up, I'm sure many ruins close to it got destroyed (not all, if all were gone, would be too boring). So, it would be good to start with West Morrowind. I would join the project if I could know how. I have many numerous ideas and I could try to help with some things like speech and those things.

Edited by mRRandak

I would like some clarification on this issue.

Let's say I made a mod for Skyrim, which didn't contain or port any Oblivion content, or upload said content in any way, but had Oblivion content the user must supply themselves as a requirement. Would this be acceptable?

As far as I can tell it's the actual uploading or porting of the content it's self which is illegal, not the authoring of a ESM file which utilizes said content if made available... :confused:

Yes. There are mods on the Nexus that let you use Fallout: New Vegas weapons in Fallout 3, but you have to own both games. The mod itself doesn't have any meshes or textures, just shows you how to port them over.

The fact is, nobody even knows what is allowed and not.

Remaking Morrowind from scratch is the same as "stealing" their work. However, you don't gain anything from it. BUT you hurt the sales on Morrowind, which is an indirect way to hurt Bethesda.

And the EULA clearly say you are not allowed to port. Even if you make a mod that forces you to have 2 games, and link them together, you still port it. You smack 2 games together, which is exactly what they don't allow.

Let me put it let this:

You wouldn't get sued. However, you'd spend years to make it, and risk getting on the bad side of Bethesda.

Also, it is so far from lorefriendly to remake Morrowind, or Oblivion, that it hurts my eyes.

So, if somebody does this: Go ahead, and risk a ban of the mod.

The best would be to make a new Morrowind, approximately as it is in 4E200, using custom meshes/textures (+ Skyrim resources of course). This is legal, allowed on the Nexus, and so much more awesome than if the resources are just ported!

It is harder, it will take longer time, but the outcome is so much better. (As long as the meshes/textures stays true to how they are in Morrowind)

That is how Morroblivion works - You need to have Morrowind's files to make it work. And to answer your question, this is a no-no.

To make it a yes-yes, you will need to make your own resources from scratch. :)

While I respect your word and your probably right I would like to hear some official ruling on this sort of thing. I've been wanting to do some zone creation with the NV Geck lately and there is some content in FO3 DLCs I would need the new ESM to point to, since NV doesn't have certain resources like a big arse bridge... of course such an ESM would just be a single file, and contain no BSA's, meshes, textures or content. Would uploading such an ESM be allowed? :confused:

The issue is that Morrowind uses some content that was created by companies other than Bethesda, and used under license. The license however only allows the content to be used in Morrowind, not in any other game. So when you create a mod that pulls in Morrowind content, even if it's from a legitimate copy you own, you are violating the content license. Bethesda's original words on this were,

"There are many reasons why this is so; among others, it is important to protect the original licensor's rights when Bethsoft has licensed a resource to use in a game. That license may allow use of the resource in that game alone, and Bethsoft is duty-bound to prevent the resource from being used in any other game, including their own."

And that's that. As to whether the same applies to FO:NV and FO3, you'd have to read the EULA for those games to see.

I remember Morroblivion, so we really shouldn't do Morrowind to Skyrim, sounds a bit... boring. Oblivion to Skyrim would be a big thing, if that's possible, as the engine from Morrowind to Oblivion never took major changes, so it was possible, though Skyrim is basicly a completly different game.