F4 Mod question: Difficult with main character now talking?

SebastianChase

That is like me nuking my car and building a new one just because I have a flat tire.

... but that makes sense, everybody does that! :D

I haven't heard enough of the female player character to really say, but the male player character has a very generic, slightly sarcastic, deadpan kind of voice. Very simple to mimic to an acceptable degree, especially with use of sound engineering programs and the like.

well i plan on getting a new sound board and PC soon... maybe i could start working on voice mods. never really thought of doing that before.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is like me nuking my car and building a new one just because I have a flat tire.

... but that makes sense, everybody does that! :D

I haven't heard enough of the female player character to really say, but the male player character has a very generic, slightly sarcastic, deadpan kind of voice. Very simple to mimic to an acceptable degree, especially with use of sound engineering programs and the like.

well i plan on getting a new sound board and PC soon... maybe i could start working on voice mods. never really thought of doing that before.

I am going to run my voice through a vacuum tube powered guitar amp to do the voice of the robot in my mod. Trying to get some vintage style distortion as opposed to futuristic style robot voice.

http://notinteractive.com/stuff/guitar/bakelitebeast/final-back.jpg

Since I'm old, i'll share some perspective from way back.

In college in the early 90s, I had great fun writing areas and quests for a MUD. When Fallout came out, I was hooked and immediately took to ripping it apart and trying to mod it. As a writer, quests were my forte. I got out of gaming until I heard that Fallout 3 was coming. My text based mind couldn't wrap itself around quest mods with voiced NPCs. The community found a way to combine voice acting resources and now it's hard to even play a quest mod WITHOUT voice actors.

The moral: have faith. If a modder has an idea to make the game better, the community will find a way.

• 2 weeks later...

If I wanted to use my imagination to voice a character and make him/her act exactly in a manner I want, then I would go write a book or build a mod... Both of which I do and very much enjoy.

If I am going to play a videogame, however, I want a dynamic experience that feels cinematic. I'm not paying $60 to use my imagination, when I can do that for free. I want to see cutsceens and hear reactions and experience something designed by someone else.

If I feel creative, I will go pick up my guitar and write a song. If I want to sit back and experience something, I will go to an Iron Maiden concert and let them do all the work.

"Cinematic"

There's that word again.

If you want to play a cinematic game, why don't you just lock the framerate to 24fps? After all, if you want it more cinematic. go ahead! I absolutely hate the word "cinematic" to describe a game. Movies are cinematic, that's why they're at a Cinema. Games are not supposed to be cinematic, if I wanted a movie, I'd watch a movie. If gameplay and player choice is restricted because of the amount of lines they could record, that's no good.

If I wanted to use my imagination to voice a character and make him/her act exactly in a manner I want, then I would go write a book or build a mod... Both of which I do and very much enjoy.

If I am going to play a videogame, however, I want a dynamic experience that feels cinematic. I'm not paying $60 to use my imagination, when I can do that for free. I want to see cutsceens and hear reactions and experience something designed by someone else.

If I feel creative, I will go pick up my guitar and write a song. If I want to sit back and experience something, I will go to an Iron Maiden concert and let them do all the work.

"Cinematic"

There's that word again.

If you want to play a cinematic game, why don't you just lock the framerate to 24fps? After all, if you want it more cinematic. go ahead! I absolutely hate the word "cinematic" to describe a game. Movies are cinematic, that's why they're at a Cinema. Games are not supposed to be cinematic, if I wanted a movie, I'd watch a movie. If gameplay and player choice is restricted because of the amount of lines they could record, that's no good.

Have fun living in the past, I'm sorry that the world is advancing and leaving you behind. Maybe there will be some developers left out there who cater to archaic game types.

Have fun living in the past, I'm sorry that the world is advancing and leaving you behind. Maybe there will be some developers left out there who cater to archaic game types.

it's not the past, seriously stop insulting people for this standing. many companies seem to feel obligated to make their game seem cinematic when they shouldnt be. they should just make the game the way that makes sense. Mass Effect is supposed to be cinematic where as FO really doesnt need to be.