F4 Mod question: Difficult with main character now talking?

SebastianChase

Have fun living in the past, I'm sorry that the world is advancing and leaving you behind. Maybe there will be some developers left out there who cater to archaic game types.

it's not the past, seriously stop insulting people for this standing. many companies seem to feel obligated to make their game seem cinematic when they shouldnt be. they should just make the game the way that makes sense. Mass Effect is supposed to be cinematic where as FO really doesnt need to be.

Fallout didn't need voiced NPCs, let alone a voiced PC. I believe Josh Sawyer even once lamented about the constraints that voice acting places on writing... namely that once that soundtrack is recorded, there are limitations on how much you can change, making the window for turning out the best story possible much smaller.

While you (and I as well for that matter) want the GAME aspect of a game to be the priority, as we move forward that simply is not the case. It seems that a majority of the audience wants to feel like they are a character in a movie first, and feel like they are playing a game second. As such, a voiced PC is the logical leap forward. Frankly I'm surprised Bethesda held out as long as they did.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun living in the past, I'm sorry that the world is advancing and leaving you behind. Maybe there will be some developers left out there who cater to archaic game types.

it's not the past, seriously stop insulting people for this standing. many companies seem to feel obligated to make their game seem cinematic when they shouldnt be. they should just make the game the way that makes sense. Mass Effect is supposed to be cinematic where as FO really doesnt need to be.

Fallout didn't need voiced NPCs, let alone a voiced PC. I believe Josh Sawyer even once lamented about the constraints that voice acting places on writing... namely that once that soundtrack is recorded, there are limitations on how much you can change, making the window for turning out the best story possible much smaller.

While you (and I as well for that matter) want the GAME aspect of a game to be the priority, as we move forward that simply is not the case. It seems that a majority of the audience wants to feel like they are a character in a movie first, and feel like they are playing a game second. As such, a voiced PC is the logical leap forward. Frankly I'm surprised Bethesda held out as long as they did.

There was also a time when it wasn't necessary to have 3d graphics in games, but in the modern world it really isn't acceptable to release a $60 videogame that runs off of sprites.

It is the exact same with voiced dialogue. If you want to release some Indie game for $10 on Steam, you can get away with not voicing your characters, but not a AAA title that costs as much to produce as Fallout.

In 1997 only 20% of people had cellphones... When talking about computer games, it is a totally different world. Just because something worked back in 1997 doesn't mean it will work in 2015 in an industry that is all about trying to have the next big thing.

http://holykaw.alltop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/32002945-media_httpiimgurcomxd_bdBCv.jpg

Having to sit there and read takes away from the 'game' aspect of playing a video game. Anyone who truly cares about game play would want to have voiced characters so they don't have to be pulled away from the flow of the game to stop and read a bunch of choices before picking what their character will say.

The people who want to sit there and read 3 or 4 full dialogue options before making each decision are the ones who truly care more about the media content than the game content.

Mass Effect 3 - 2 seconds to make a choice and move on with the game.

Fallout New Vegas - 10 seconds to make a choice and move on with the game.

Over the course of the whole game, that is a huge difference sitting there in the dialogue screen reading as opposed to playing.

Mass Effect 2 was such a beautiful game because of the flow and the balance between game and story, it never felt like there was too much of one or the other.

What's the difference between having a unvoiced PC in a quest mod (in fallout 4) to the current system in new vegas where the player just reads the PC's dialogue. It just means you'll need to click your brain into fallout NV mode to play a quest mod. There will probably be a mod that removes the player voice (fallout 3/NV style) anyway (or hopefully a feature in the game settings).

The choice are to splice the dialogue for both genders, to revoice the PC for the mod(again both genders), to spend a fortune hiring both the original male & female voice actors for the mod or have it unvoiced. Mod users will just need to understand that to play a quest mod in 4 they can't have a perfectly voiced PC.

What's the difference between having a unvoiced PC in a quest mod (in fallout 4) to the current system in new vegas where the player just reads the PC's dialogue. It just means you'll need to click your brain into fallout NV mode to play a quest mod. There will probably be a mod that removes the player voice (fallout 3/NV style) anyway (or hopefully a feature in the game settings).
The choice are to splice the dialogue for both genders, to revoice the PC for the mod(again both genders), to spend a fortune hiring both the original male & female voice actors for the mod or have it unvoiced. Mod users will just need to understand that to play a quest mod in 4 they can't have a perfectly voiced PC.

The player character I have for my mod is spot on, I don't know if I will have as much luck for the female voice, but I bet if you hadn't played vanilla Fallout 4 first you wouldn't be able to tell where this guys voice acting begins and the guy working for Bethesda ends.

It is really awesome to hear the player and 2 different npcs bantering back and forth, it just feels so much more alive than the one sided conversations where you are getting talked at, not talking with.

Having to sit there and read takes away from the 'game' aspect of playing a video game. Anyone who truly cares about game play would want to have voiced characters so they don't have to be pulled away from the flow of the game to stop and read a bunch of choices before picking what their character will say.

The people who want to sit there and read 3 or 4 full dialogue options before making each decision are the ones who truly care more about the media content than the game content.

Over the course of the whole game, that is a huge difference sitting there in the dialogue screen reading as opposed to playing.

Mass Effect 2 was such a beautiful game because of the flow and the balance between game and story, it never felt like there was too much of one or the other.

Beth games aren't Bioware games.

One of the great weaknesses in game development, imo, is the belief that if someone else has built something that is successful, and your game doesn't have that thing, then your game will fail.

This eagerness to copy existing game play stifles original/innovative content creation. Instead of going in a new direction to flesh out what a Beth game truly is, they have decided to copy what Bioware does. The more they do this kind of thing the less they fill their own space in the market. I'm skeptical that these changes will make a better Beth game, but instead we may end up with an inferior version of a Bioware game.

I don't like Bioware games. Bioware games are well written and are excellent games, but I prefer to play a Beth game in a Beth gameworld. If I want a Bioware game that's what I'll play. Beth could have done any number of things to improve their storytelling, but instead of going in a direction that looks like a Beth game they took the safe, boring, Bioware route to solve their problem.

Beth games aren't Bioware games.

One of the great weaknesses in game development, imo, is the belief that if someone else has built something that is successful, and your game doesn't have that thing, then your game will fail.

This eagerness to copy existing game play stifles original/innovative content creation. Instead of going in a new direction to flesh out what a Beth game truly is, they have decided to copy what Bioware does. The more they do this kind of thing the less they fill their own space in the market. I'm skeptical that these changes will make a better Beth game, but instead we may end up with an inferior version of a Bioware game.

I don't like Bioware games. Bioware games are well written and are excellent games, but I prefer to play a Beth game in a Beth gameworld. If I want a Bioware game that's what I'll play. Beth could have done any number of things to improve their storytelling, but instead of going in a direction that looks like a Beth game they took the safe, boring, Bioware route to solve their problem.

There is nothing wrong with being inspired by something you really like that another person or company did before you. That is how all advances are made.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

When someone makes something that is truly great, you take that inspiration and make it a part of what you do. That doesn't make you any less of an individual, it makes each and every person who learns from that a better artist.