F4 Mod question: Difficult with main character now talking?

SebastianChase

I think Bethesda can't write dialogue because they are afraid to nail down any points in the character to work off of, which is what makes Bioware successful.

actually they fail at it because they dont hire writers. they just throw someone on hand onto the task and slap a 'writers' label on them.

Bioware though does hire dedicated writers.

I've never met anyone that has worked for both Bethesda and Bioware before. You must be one hell of a programmer or 3d modeler or something. I can't wait to see what kind of mods come from such a seasoned industry professional like yourself.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bethesda can't write dialogue because they are afraid to nail down any points in the character to work off of, which is what makes Bioware successful.

actually they fail at it because they dont hire writers. they just throw someone on hand onto the task and slap a 'writers' label on them.

Bioware though does hire dedicated writers.

FO3 had an actual lead writer, Emil Pagliarulo, who is obviously terrible , he's also writing FO4 so that's something to look forward to.

While the idea of a voiced protagonist isn't that appealing to me in a fallout game, has anyone actually stopped and considered one important thing? It's possible that enough of a "dictonary" exists within Fallout 4 that mod authors may have enough words/phrases to make voiced responses work in mods? If there's a large enough sample size to work with, I'm sure some good voiced mods could be made.

while the limitations of the PC being voiced are an importnat co ncern I"m most concerned ab out haivng only four dialogue options max when interacting with NPCs having such a limited selection is something I would NOT go to a Fallout game or any Bethesda game for. it would be defeatring a large chunk of my motive for playing such a game. it makes mods that add dialogue nealry impossible (such as the mods to recurit anyone as a follower or that add a special diologue o ption to an NPC or ot a ll NPCs that adds more features)) this is too much of a problem for modders and players alike as it severely limits o ptions for both of them.

while the limitations of the PC being voiced are an importnat co ncern I"m most concerned ab out haivng only four dialogue options max when interacting with NPCs having such a limited selection is something I would NOT go to a Fallout game or any Bethesda game for. it would be defeatring a large chunk of my motive for playing such a game. it makes mods that add dialogue nealry impossible (such as the mods to recurit anyone as a follower or that add a special diologue o ption to an NPC or ot a ll NPCs that adds more features)) this is too much of a problem for modders and players alike as it severely limits o ptions for both of them.

I guess you have never played Mass Effect, have you?

Working around this so called 'issue' is child's play, I could work around it in my sleep.

I guess you have never played Mass Effect, have you?

Working around this so called 'issue' is child's play, I could work around it in my sleep.

I have in fact played Mass Effect. however Fallout 4 is even MORE limited given that Mass Effect relied on a wheel that had up to six possible o ptions usually whereas Fallout 4 appears to only have a max of four options at a time. it could theoretically work ifyou could use keys or shoulder buttons to "shuffle" through diologue o ptions but I don't see that happening. what is your workaorund for this?

Or with the thousands and thousands of lines of dialogue already existing, with the PC blathering away, surely there will be lines that could easily be taken out of context and used for a mod.

case in point the sunny smiles follower mod. though that's rough because sunny doesn't have lots and lots of lines like our PC will

Or with the thousands and thousands of lines of dialogue already existing, with the PC blathering away, surely there will be lines that could easily be taken out of context and used for a mod.

case in point the sunny smiles follower mod. though that's rough because sunny doesn't have lots and lots of lines like our PC will

That fixes the problem of ading dialogue with new NPCs. However it doesn't fix the issue of adding dialogue with existing NPCs and breaking the "four choices" limita tion that the new system has.

That fixes the problem of ading dialogue with new NPCs. However it doesn't fix the issue of adding dialogue with existing NPCs and breaking the "four choices" limita tion that the new system has.

Maybe it's possible to have one of those choices lead to another set of four and so on, wading through them would be a pain but it's a way around it.