One guy's experience.

GSajer

I found some instances unfair. my first time playing longwar just finished first mission no problem

then I get Large space craft landing so i send my troopers in, all 2nd rank troopers. i was cleaning house until came up on a room with 8 outsiders, 2 seekers,a thin man and 3 floaters. my whole squad got wiped out. so i restarted cleaned the ship i set up positions and sent out my assault trooper to bait the outsiders into my trap. In a long battle where killing one outsider with a healing factor was a whole squad effort. I managed to kill 5 of the 8 but got wiped out all the same. it was clear to me that my troopers where in an unwinnable situation.

my squad was under skilled and under equipped for the undertaking.

so I figured screw it, ill just send my troopers in grab the meld an get out.

I hated not being able to complete the mission... but on the upside my troopers get xp , i get meld and swag to go with it... but its still a shitty way to lose a mission.

:mellow:

Well, based on what I've read from the LW developer's notes, withdrawals and mission aborts are really part of the furniture. Naturally, you want to keep these to a minimum, but they can well be unwinnable. When I get the sense that this is what I'm facing, I go in with a completely revised doctrine which is to grab whatever I can grab, cause as much attrition as possible, and get most of the force out intact.

• 2 weeks later...

:cool:

I've got a new question. In missions with similar size and scope, there are times when the size of the opposition force is manageable and times where I'm as overwhelmed as Custer at the Little Bighorn. In fact, there are times when I've got so many barrels firing at me, I don't think I could survive with the best equipment available. And I'm beginning to wonder that there is something fundamental I don't understand about wave triggering. I'm getting the feeling my tactics are provoking extra waves that might otherwise not be hurled at me. So this begs the question: Does each mission begin with a predetermined number of enemies, or can provocative behavior add even more enemies to the count? Case in point: I'm in an EXALT mission, and I get the message "This looks like the last wave, we just have to hold out a little longer."

Two turns later after I cling to some shred of hope to survival I again hear: " This looks like the last wave, we just have to hold out a little longer." It's just enough to make you wonder if this is a game, or some kind of unique hell.

:sad:

I think I'm going to hang this one up for awhile. I thought I was good because I had won Xcom/EW on classic mode using Ironman. But that doesn't begin to prepare a player for LW normal. I have improved, but after six attempts at the lowest threshold possible I have to admit to myself that I don't begin to be prepared for LW. I'm going to go back and play the stock game at classic until I can win consistently. At that point I'll come back to LW. I don't know what tactics or knowledge folks have to employ to win this thing at the most basic level but it's clearly God-like. I'm just not there.

Edited by GSajer