Dungeons - a warning

Michlo

Do not be a fool like me who pre-ordered it without researching. Yup, another one duped into thinking this was part of the Dungeon Keeper series. "Spiritual successor to Dungeon keeper" ??? I think not.

Please try out the demo, etc. before buying this one.

I got the game and i am lovin it. evil lord ftw

Hmm, did you play Dungeon Keeper, Hells? I thought this was a follow-up and it is a really poor imitation, hence my disappointment. The whole idea of having to plonk down decorations to entertain heroes and then your lord having to run around to kill them all himself is just ridiculous to me. Where is the evil in that?

Oh and what's with the goblins only able to carry 1g when they're tunneling yet they can pick up great amounts of it otherwise. So many things like that. No manual, silly "tutorial". Dungeon Keeper gave us complete power to create a dungeon, not just decorate and tunnel.

*shrug*

The developers never even tried to suggest that Dungeons was supposed to be a Dungeon keeper clone. Clearly DK was a major inspiration, but they tried to do their own thing instead of just copying it, which I heartily approve of. I'm told it's actually a decent game, if you don't try and treat it as a DK clone.

It was only journalists and people writing about it who tried to treat it as a DK clone, it was never actually marketed as one, and definitely shouldn't be judged as one. That said, maybe the devs should have worked a bit harder on creating a slightly more distinct art style... you can see why people got the wrong idea.

Looking at the trailer... they knew exactly what people would think. Hell they were probably hoping people would think it's a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper.

@Michio: Would you say the demo accurately represents the game? I'm downloading it now. Reason I ask is I've been burned by demos before.

Well, it's not Dungeon Keeper, but it comes close enough for me to be an excitingly fun game. The biggest point of the game is trying to build your dungeon in a way so that heroes are guided through until their soul meters are filled, then slaughtered for maximum soul energy. It's trickier than it sounds, really. :P