Oblivion corrupted (again)

NeithanDiniem

I got as far as the title screen before I put in my mods

Did the game ever work without mods?

One thing you really need to do is be absolutely sure that the base game works first. Before putting in any mods. That means actually starting the game and making your first save while still in the cell. That allows the game to create and save the Oblivion.ini file that is used to identify your hardware - and a lot of other things to the game.

Then, playing all the way through the tutorial dungeon to get out into the world. There is a huge jump in video requirements when you exit the sewer into the world. That is where the real game starts. Just before you exit the sewer be sure to make a permanent save that is never overwritten.

Just because you have a new computer that doesn't mean it can play the game - especially a laptop.

Using the computer you plan to play the game on

Go here to see if your computer can run the game

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

You will find the various game we support

Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

Dragon Age listed as Dragon age: Origins

Dragon Age 2 as Dragon Age II

The Witcher as The Witcher

The Witcher 2 as The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Fallout New Vegas as Fallout: New Vegas

Morrowind is not listed, However if you can run Oblivion at all it should run well on your system.

Note: TES V - Skyrim is not listed yet as no one knows what the real final requirements will be yet.

It's called a backup. :thumbsup:

COPY your entire Data folder to a new location - that copy becomes your backup. Then add a mod.

Test it, make sure it works. When you are happy with it, Make a new backup Give each backup a distinctive name - Such as 'data after modname' (as a backup does take a lot of time and hard drive space, you may want to either only make backups after every several mods after the first one (never change that one as it is your last ditch fall back when everything else fails) you can overwrite the backup (but keep any backups after a particularly tough install that works.)

Then when you do have a problem and cannot get it resolved - Copy the last working backup data folder back and overwrite the problem one. Be sure to rename it back to 'data'

Another way to have backups: use mtes4manager - . http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35263 treat each clone as a backup. This also keeps any saves separate with each data folder.

Thank you very much for the reply and the help. I've managed to figure out what mods have been killing my game. The Chocolate Elves companions Shy Rock and Lula Wild...and the player Chocolate Elves esm that came with them. In fact, ANY Chocolate Elf companion causes the problem. I don't suppose there's anything that can help me sort out why that is? Edited by Trinsic75

• 4 weeks later...

A load order may help diagnose your problem.

How to post an Oblivion Load order list using OBMM

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/How_to_post_a_load_order_for_Oblivion

This is odd. It tells me that the Chocolate Elves esm isn't present, but it is. I have the race installed and included the esm that came with the SR file. I moved Shy Rock down at the bottom of the cue by the system still crashes when I try to activate her.

Ah, well.

This is odd. It tells me that the Chocolate Elves esm isn't present, but it is.

that alone is the definition of a UAC issue

where is Oblivion installed

and is it the dreaded programs(x86) directory

(known to cause these issues)

I didn't see whether this was clear or not:

Do you start Oblivion game by obse_loader.exe or the normal launcher?

if the latter is true, plz make a shortcut of obse_loader.exe from the oblivion directory onto your desktop and launch the game from there.