(PETITION) unskippable video adds cross the line

mikeloeven

I think 65$ was a reasonable price to become a lifetime Premium member. Heck, I would give this site more money if I had more but I'm using it on college and pre-ordered Skyrim and Rage.

By the way, Holy Akatosh, $128,000 that is crazy. I wouldn't Petition the ads I would instead get the good deal (Premium Membership) knowing that you gave to a good cause (Modding and the Site.)

By the way Dark0ne how much would it cost for that computer I mentioned? PM me if you want about it. I would gladly help with the cost of maintaining it as far to my ability. Like $100 or $200 a year when I can afford it. I know that isn't much but that will be as much as I can afford for awhile.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit it, I run Adblocker. While I don't want to do it, I have little choice because many adverts pose a security threat to my PC. As soon as my budget allows, I'll be buying Premium to show my support for this site. As it's already been said, adverts will be necessary for this site. If you're not willing to deal with it one way or another, then stop complaining.

EDIT: Actually, I'll probably get my brother to pay for it for me tomorrow or something xD

Edited by McclaudEagle

Holy Akatosh indeed!

I had an inkling that it was expensive to run this place what with the multiple servers and all, but Dark 0ne's revelations of the actual costs of it all are certainly eye-opening.

Makes me feel bad that I only paid for 3 months instead of going for the lifetime premium. But on the other hand, that just gives me more than one opportunity to contribute in the future I suppose.

Anyway, such revelations lead me to in a very civil manner ask that site members complaining about ads please re-evaluate their priorities and consider that what they get for free here cannot be found elsewhere. Pale imitations of it can be found elsewhere, sure, but the Nexus sites do it much better on a much larger scale.

Furthermore, advertising is already everywhere in our lives anyway, and especially so on the internet, so I don't really understand the whole OMG! There are ads on the Nexus sites! mentality anyway. We should really learn to appreciate what we get for free here.

whats with the video ads?

signed.

try not to destroy nexus guys.

EDIT by LHammonds: If I had not seen you apologize a little further down, you would have received a strike for this. As it stands, I will do what you should have done...edit your post to remove the vulgarities.

signned.

did you not read this post?

Dark0ne's Nexus bill for 2011:

* 4 super powerful Dell blade servers each with dual quad core processors, 32GB of memory, dual 600GB SCSI hard-drives and pooled 125mbit of UK bandwidth (UK significant as it's twice as expensive as US bandwidth)

* At least one additional dell blade server, perhaps two or three based on the popularity of Dragon Age 2, Skyrim (that will definitely need it's own server) and the possibility of Nexus sites for other games

* Enterprise level backup solution using 1.5TB of space on an ultra-fast, ultra-redundant SSD NAS system so if the worst happens everything is safe

* 5 file servers with dual 600GB SCSI hard-drives each with 1Gbit unmetered connections pushing some 450mbit/second

* Cost of hiring on a part-time software programmer and a full-time web programmer to move things forward and get the most out of the sites

* Saving away money for rainy days, s*** hitting the fan days, and competitions

That, right there, is a bill close to £80,000 (or around $128,000). I've already tried interstitials and I've already tried pop-unders but people bricked themselves because they thought they were less secure ways of advertising than any other way (not true). The video ads essentially tax the most costly part of the sites and 1 view of the video ads is worth 10 views of the box ad on the sites. It may not be necessary in the long term but it is in the short-term.

there are worst things then just simple video ads.

Edited by LHammonds

Watch it that can be very offensive. Even if you do censor it that can still get you banned. Just a warning from a member.

yeah sorry alright. just got home from work and came onto my favorite fallout site and my ears exploded... it set me off and i apologise. you are right about paying the bills.

Holy Akatosh indeed!

I had an inkling that it was expensive to run this place what with the multiple servers and all, but Dark 0ne's revelations of the actual costs of it all are certainly eye-opening.

Makes me feel bad that I only paid for 3 months instead of going for the lifetime premium. But on the other hand, that just gives me more than one opportunity to contribute in the future I suppose.

Anyway, such revelations lead me to in a very civil manner ask that site members complaining about ads please re-evaluate their priorities and consider that what they get for free here cannot be found elsewhere. Pale imitations of it can be found elsewhere, sure, but the Nexus sites do it much better on a much larger scale.

Furthermore, advertising is already everywhere in our lives anyway, and especially so on the internet, so I don't really understand the whole OMG! There are ads on the Nexus sites! mentality anyway. We should really learn to appreciate what we get for free here.

Yes, commercials on TV Infomercials etc. you do have a point there. I too had a feeling but didn't know it was going to be this much. When Fallout4nexus comes out that's going to be even more money and I hope I will be rich by that time so I can donate a lot to the site.

I respect Dark0ne and the Staff greatly because without them and the donations there would be no Nexus. I think all the Staff need 3 thumbs up as they go the extra mile pun intended with the 3 thumbs and the extra mile. But if the Staff didn't care do you think that the staff would help members, be kind, give them news, help one other? No, I don't because the Staff on this Site are volunteers who do this like it's more than their job and get no pay that deserves 5 Stars. The ads are just something to help support this non-profit site. These ads are not even commercial length. But thank you Staff for going the extra mile.