(PETITION) unskippable video adds cross the line

mikeloeven

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those of us who agree with the OP realize it won't change anything anyway so is there really a point in saying so?

If enough sign the petition, I am sure Robin will try to change it, like he did with both the pop-unders and pop-ups. Robin has been very kind with changing the ad method every time enough people have been complaining!

So... Get down on it! :D

But aren't we running out of options for the sorts of ads to be displayed, here, Zaldiir? I don't think NO ads is an option, so we're going to have them, regardless. Pop-up, pop-under, and pop-over ads are downright obnoxious and frequently misused by the companies which serve them up. I'm sure we've all encountered the ad that can't be closed, short of shutting down our browsers, or the ad that you close which triggers another, which you close, which triggers another ... until it gets so annoying we, again, just shut down the browser. We're not getting those.

What we're getting is ads that delay a download. Whether we watch them or not is irrelevant, and I doubt that Nexus cares as long it gets credit for a view. The annoying thing is that a download can't begin until the ad has run its course, even if you block the ad. The download is timed to that event, whether you see the ad or not. I can live with 30-second ads, but I don't want to wait until they finish before my download begins.

I'm not signing the petition because I don't want the old flash ads back. All I want is for the current ads to not delay a download. What little new content I'm seeing in the ads is all stuff that doesn't interest me in the slightest, so I'm not watching them, anyway -- again, the lack of intelligent targeting. Still, I think the current method of deploying ads would be the least intrusive we've seen as long as downloads began immediately, and that includes giving us the ability to select an external server for those downloads that aren't handled locally.

I don't want to have to click on an ad somewhere to cancel it, either. I've already talked about how some ad servers trick users into downloading malware by clicking on an ad, even if it looks like an "x" or "close" button. I frankly don't trust the ad services Nexus is using. Indeed, I don't trust ANY ad servers. Let an ad run its course and then close its own window ... and if it doesn't close that window, then the ad server needs to be fired. Plain and simple. Better, and that may be the way Nexus is already doing this, since I don't know exactly how the site goes about displaying ads, let Nexus handle the ad window and just display the ad as a frame within it, but I do NOT want to see that window forced on top of all others, like some sites do. If I don't want to watch it, that should be my choice -- not the choice of the ad server or Nexus.

And, if Nexus could get some intelligent targeting, you know what? I'd be clicking through on some of those ads. Nexus wins, the advertiser wins, I win. Sounds simple enough to me. As it is, I'm getting fed ads that the advertiser seems to think interest me, possibly because of the IP it gets, because it thinks I'm located in a particular area, and it's consistently wrong in its assumptions regarding my interests. I'm sure I'm not in the minority with regard to that. All in all, it's really just an inconvenience, but a very annoying one that seems, to me, to have a trivial solution -- find an advertiser who realizes that the people who use this site have only ONE thing in common. We play games on our PCs.

The pop-ups and pop-unders were of no consequence to most people. Any browser worth the bits its made of has a blocker for those built in and you'd have to go out of your way to whitelist the Nexus ads to see them to begin with. Yet people complained, thinking said complaints would result in going back to simple banner ads or something. Instead we get the even worse method of forced videos. So logic suggests that complaining bitterly about those would result in something even more forceful and even more annoying and even more difficult to block. Is that really what people want?

The argument about "I don't want to see flash ads" sort of falls flat on its face considering the new video format is a flash window.

Just be careful what you wish for, the results may not be what you want.

I dont have much of a problem with the vids alothough I wish they where not there.

MY main concern is since I have limited broadband each month (15GB) downloading a video that is about 20 Mbs that I have no intention to view but downloads it regardless takes the cake.

Im split descitions here so Im unsure what to think come to think of it.

Oh yeah, I use AVG adblocker aswell so that stops it 90% of the time.

try this i wrote it my self after inspecting the add's html source save this as a extensionless file called hosts and copy it into C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

and the hosts file is written in clear text so you know it isn't a virus i am sending. :)

ftp://[email protected]/hosts

but basically it pervents your computer from even communicating with the add server by null routing the domain name

aside from this why are you still with your broadband company there are a lot of other companies that dont have broadband limits. there are also companies that do have exessive usage limits but dont enforce the caps unless your overages are causing global issues with their system

Edited by mikeloeven

... aside from this why are you still with your broadband company there are a lot of other companies that dont have broadband limits. there are also companies that do have exessive usage limits but dont enforce the caps unless your overages are causing global issues with their system

@mikeloven; All true, for US/Canada. Much LESS common in the rest of the world. Broadband isn't even available in many places. In others the provider is State-owned/controlled with no competition, and in still others even though there may be some choice in provider, they all meter usage and charge more for more.

Edited by Thandal
typo.