Icons

RZ1029

Stupid question, coming from someone who considers himself computer-savvy. That being said, I still don't know how to do it. I'm looking to make a .jpg I found on the web an .ico to use in a program I made in Visual Studio. I know how to add the .ico, but it ONLY accepts .ico's. I've googled it, but I get tons of vague explanations.

You lookin for a freebie program or a pay-for professional program?

My favorite is IconWorkshop which goes for about $25 USD (currently on sale)

The long-time big-boy in this arena is Microangelo Creation which goes for about $55 USD

For the freebies:

IconXpert is postcardware.

IcoFX

Tutorial for Greenfish Icon Editor Pro

There are a bunch of other freebie editors out there but many of them are old and don't support the higher resolution icons in XP, Vista and Win7.

Many of the icons I created in this Oblivion Icon Set are almost wallpaper size!

I get a warning of my anti Virus /anti Mailware Software (Site not save) on the IcoFX Link so be with that until LHammonds says that it is save (I have send a PM to him) Edited by SilverDNA

I get no such warning and I use WOT plugin for Firefox, Comodo Internet Security and TrendMicro on another PC.

I have also had no virus ever detected from the icon software that I obtained from that site and I've had my software archive thoroughly scanned by no less than 3 different scanners on a regular basis. Granted, I have not downloaded that particular program recently but I will be right now.

EDIT:

- Downloaded icofxsetup.exe (1,506 kb) and no complaint from Comodo

- Sending to VirusTotal.com to have it scanned by 43 scanners....result is 0/43 found a virus...that means NONE of them detected anything even remotely bad...and that is RARE.

So, I don't think visiting that page, then the download page and then downloading that file is anything to worry about. I even let all scripts run on that site with no problems detected.