Race

marharth

I couldn't find the exact quote, but Sir Alec Guiness is reported to have said this (or something very similar to it) not long before his death:

Apparently, in this day, I must apologise for being male, white, and British.

I think that sums up the race issue very nicely.

Edited by Sync182

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still think we're all the same damn race...until we have definite proof that the aliens came down and fooled around with the genes of 7 different (and some lost) monkey species, and put one each in North America, S. America, Africa, Sotheast Asia, Hyboria, Australia, and Antarctica (poor monkeys).

We are all of the same SPECIES but there are several races since the emergence from primordial Africa at least in the anthropological level of classification.

Well, I still think we're all the same damn race...until we have definite proof that the aliens came down and fooled around with the genes of 7 different (and some lost) monkey species, and put one each in North America, S. America, Africa, Sotheast Asia, Hyboria, Australia, and Antarctica (poor monkeys).

We are all of the same SPECIES but there are several races since the emergence from primordial Africa at least in the anthropological level of classification.

All right, you've taxonomically got me square on the jaw with that one, Aurielius. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

All right, you've taxonomically got me square on the jaw with that one, Aurielius. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

But I understand the point you were making Wizard and I essentially agree, we all bleed red. So aside from a few genetic differences that have evolved from geographical adaptations there really isn't much difference once you move past pigment of the skin.

First of all I think everyone should be treated equally, MINUS the obvious double standards set by the media.

Ok, lets take a look at "Black History" month. I got no problem with the idea, of people promoting the history of their racial heritage, and the achievements and contributions of people of a particular race to their country. But if someone wanted to have a "White History" month, and use that exact label, the first thing that would come to most peoples minds is racist, nazi, etc, etc, etc. Now maybe someone can explain to me why people have been programmed to think like that? So basically it is ok for a people to be proud of racial identity, heritage, and even achievements of ancestors of a particular race, as long as you aren't White.

Anyone else notice the double standard?

Edited by crimsonedge11

This topic really makes me sad and mad at the same time.

It deserves a dissertation, but you'll not get it from me here, there's an old adage about casting pearls before swine that I try to live by. It's not my responsibility to educate people or disabuse them of their [wrong] opinions with facts, but I will lay out a few of my thoughts.

Race is a human construct. On a cellular, physical level there is no difference. There is ethnicity but it is somewhat misunderstood when used purely in terms of race without regard to experience.

I have seen mixed race parents produce offspring that is dark and another that is so-called white.

I know so-called "white people" who have a black ancestor, and a large majority of so-called "black people" have white ancestors.

I conclude race is a political, social tool used to discriminate and subjugate, and otherwise has no use in a just society.

Since it has historically been very successfully used to denigrate a minority by a majority, there is a social imbalance that needs to be counterbalanced and we attempt to do that by celebrating those that were overlooked historically. That's why we celebrate black history month. That's also why we have an International Women's Day.

Remember that historically, history books, religious tomes, and other propaganda were all written by those in power. That would leave out the women, the children, and any minority.

http://www.understandingrace.org/home.html

I didn't bother with Morgan Freeman's video because while I enjoy his acting, I know him to have very poor judgement in his personal life.

Oh and one more thing. I don't think that everyone should be treated equally. I had a brother with Cerebral Palsy. He deserved special treatment.

There needs, however, to be great caution that in correcting imbalances,one does not play into the hands of extremists on either side of the argument. For example, here in Britain you can get into big trouble for hoisting the cross of St George, the flag of England, as it is deemed by some to be a racist emblem. (I am amazed that the Royal Navy can still get away with flying their ensign, which is a variant, from the jackstaffs of their vessels, without anyone complaining.) Oddly enough, the Scottish saltire and Welsh dragon are not considered to be a problem, although there is a certain amount of rumbling about the Union Flag. The problem is, all this does add grist to the mill of the more odious extreme political parties.

You cannot counteract prejudice by creating a fresh set of prejudices.

I know nothing about the politics you mentioned, but I do not think the intent is to create a fresh set of prejudice.

There is the fact, the truth, that most wealth is inherited.

You are born into the wealth of your parents. Their situation and circumstance is a wealth of resources for your upbringing.

The fact that, for example, wealth was stolen from one culture by another means that there is an imbalance of wealth, those whose resources were stolen before they were born have a genuine cause that is unjust and unbalanced.

And what shall we, those of us who benefited from that theft, say: Oh well.

Quite ironic really, and rather saddening.

The differences between us all are given many diffrerent names, creed, colour, ethnicity, race, region of origin etc etc and people were / are persecuted every single day because of those differences.

Yet we call ourselves "The Human Race".

I know nothing about the politics you mentioned, but I do not think the intent is to create a fresh set of prejudice.

There is the fact, the truth, that most wealth is inherited.

You are born into the wealth of your parents. Their situation and circumstance is a wealth of resources for your upbringing.

The fact that, for example, wealth was stolen from one culture by another means that there is an imbalance of wealth, those whose resources were stolen before they were born have a genuine cause that is unjust and unbalanced.

And what shall we, those of us who benefited from that theft, say: Oh well.

The Persians stole from the Lydians, the Greeks stole from the Persians, the Romans stole from the Greeks, the Germanic and asian barbarians stole from the Romans. Wherever we look there are cultural artifacts which could only exist through those thefts. Should modern Greeks feel guilty for the desecration of the Achamaenid empire and the wholesale looting of incredible amounts of gold, silver etc? Where does guilt end, should the modern Greek state or the modern British state feel obliged to expiate the sins of people who are either long dead or in old age. People should be responsible for their own actions and take blame for what they do. If I had voted tory this time or New Labour last time then I would have some real responsibility for my government's actions.

History is as broad a subject as there are historians and and we should each look into history as we wish, from what I can see setting an agenda for one group or race's history is just another way for somewhat untalented bureaucrats and historians to ensure that they have a consistent source of expenses and kudos.

Oh Ginnyfizz I don't know if you recall but during the nineties the NME equated Welsh pride with fascism, ironic isn't it that the most neglected people of the UK get clobbered as soon as they get uppity and raise their heads above the parapet :biggrin: