OBMM Problem

Ferryt

I've run into a most vexing problem with Oblivion Mod Manager. I've used OBMM for a couple of years -- since I first started playing Oblivion, in fact. I never had a problem with it on my old computer, but it's acting very flaky on my new one. It's currently installed on a Win7 machine. I have Oblivion installed to c:/Games/Oblivion. I even have all executables in my Oblivion directory set to run as adminstrator, so this isn't a UAC issue. OBMM sometimes does and sometimes doesn't activate/inactivate a mod, even when it shows it checked/unchecked.

The following is a definitive test session using a simple mod that consists of nothing more than a cell to which I attempt to "coc" to see if it exists in-game.

• Run OBMM: mod shows inactive
    • Run Oblivion: mod is inactive (expected behavior)

Activate mod in OBMM: mod shows active

Leave OBMM running

• Run Oblivion: mod is inactive (unexpected behavior -- should be active)

Shut down OBMM

• Run Oblivion: mod is active (as it should be)

Run OBMM: mod shows active

Deactivate mod in OBMM: mod shows inactive

Leave OBMM running

• Run Oblivion: mod is active (unexpected behavior -- should be inactive)

Shut down OBMM

• Run Oblivion: mod is inactive (as it should be)

In other words, the status of a mod is not changed until OBMM is closed. This isn't how I remember it used to work, although I'm not discounting that my memory is faulty, since I took a lengthy hiatus from playing Oblivion. Am I missing something? Is this an "undocumented feature" of OBMM? Am I just being dense? I can live with this if this is how OBMM is supposed to work, since I at least know what's going on, but is there any way to keep OBMM up and running while I'm testing mods? I know that I can just use the Oblivion Launcher to activate/deactivate mods but it has the really annoying tendency to reset all my video settings to the default low (i.e. "bad") settings without asking me and I don't think there's a way to disable this antisocial behavior. This means I then have to close the game, restore my Oblivion.ini file from a backup, and then re-launch the game, which is a royal PITA.

Any time I use OBMM (I only use it for a few mods) I always close it before launching Oblivion. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's better to launch Oblivion from it's exe rather than using the 'Launch Obilivion' button but I'll probably get stomped now by the OBMM community. :tongue:

I've not heard of the Oblivion launcher situation you describe, does it help to set the Oblivion.ini to read only after you've got the settings to your liking?

The launcher button in OBMM doesn't work for me at all, so I don't even bother trying any more. I've considered setting Oblivion.ini to read only, but I'm still tweaking it, so I don't want to do that right now.

In other words, the status of a mod is not changed until OBMM is closed.

That is the way that OBMM works -- it does not do it's housekeeping until you quit the application, that's why I keep advising people to do what they need to do with OBMM first, then close it and run BOSS, Bash last.

Be even more careful if you use OBMM expanded - it also plays around ghosting inactive ESPs like Wrye Bash does,and you can end up with a slightly confusing setup if not careful. Seems to behave like the original in all other ways though

Be even more careful if you use OBMM expanded - it also plays around ghosting inactive ESPs like Wrye Bash does,and you can end up with a slightly confusing setup if not careful. Seems to behave like the original in all other ways though

OBMM Extended does not have a ghost feature. It does have, same as the original OBMM, a hidden OMOD switcher and Activate/Deactivate Filtered functions. These do not hide mods unless the user specifically chooses the option/s from either the Utilities or Batch Actions drop downs.

Thanks, Hickory. I was beginning to suspect that this might be normal behavior that I just wasn't aware of. When I was using it, before, I wasn't in the process of developing content and testing multiple mods, so it was invariably just fired up for a single use and then closed. I wish the "Activate" button would automatically update the active mod list even if if no omod file is selected, though. That would be a nice addition to its features, without cluttering the interface with more controls.

• 6 months later...

OBMM Extended does not have a ghost feature. It does have, same as the original OBMM, a hidden OMOD switcher and Activate/Deactivate Filtered functions. These do not hide mods unless the user specifically chooses the option/s from either the Utilities or Batch Actions drop downs.

Well, that's odd because I have told Wrye Bash not to ghost automatically, yet every time I change the extensions from "*.ghost" back to "*.esp" and I then open OBMM and then close it, the "*.ghost" extensions are back again... they are most definitely being added by OBMM Extended. When I change the extensions back again and open Wyre Bash and then close it, the "*.ghost" file extensions do not come back - it's only when I interact with OBMM Extended. Any thoughts? It's become rather irritating, and I do not see a way in OBMM to turn it off like in WB. Also, sorry to necro the post. I didn't look at the date before I responded. ooops. lol

Edited by silverbluemoon

Well, that's odd because I have told Wrye Bash not to ghost automatically, yet every time I change the extensions from "*.ghost" back to "*.esp" and I then open OBMM and then close it, the "*.ghost" extensions are back again... they are most definitely being added by OBMM Extended. When I change the extensions back again and open Wyre Bash and then close it, the "*.ghost" file extensions do not come back - it's only when I interact with OBMM Extended. Any thoughts? It's become rather irritating, and I do not see a way in OBMM to turn it off like in WB. Also, sorry to necro the post. I didn't look at the date before I responded. ooops. lol

OBMM Extended does not add or use the.ghost extension. I know... I have it. Only Wrye Bash uses the .ghost extension. OBMM should always be used before any other similar utility, and then closed -- it does not clean up until it is closed down. Wrye Bash will automatically add the .ghost extension to any mods that are not active immediately you open it, unless you have the auto ghost feature turned off. Do not rename the files manually!