Water Looks Terrible

ollyy

Not sure if any of this will help. It's all excerpted from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide:

Water Detail: If set to High, this option allows the water's surface to appear slightly more realistic. The difference is very difficult to see in screenshots - at Normal the reflections are slightly less detailed and more blocky than High due to the lower surface resolution of the water. The performance impact is not significant by itself, however neither is the visual impact, so if you're struggling for FPS in outdoor areas with water, set this to Normal. Note that the blockiness of distant reflections on water can't be resolved with this setting - see the uGridsToLoad variable in the Advanced Tweaking section.

Water Reflections: This setting enables or disables reflections on the surface of water. The screenshot comparisons above show the obvious impact: when set to Off, water appears much less realistic because it appears as a solid block of color. The performance difference should not be significant enough to warrant turning this option Off, however if you experience a lot of mouse lag/low FPS around water, turning this Off will help. Note that you can use several bUseWaterReflections variables to add more objects which can be reflected in the water - see the Advanced Tweaking section.

Water Ripples: This setting controls the appearance of ripples on the surface of water when objects interact with it. It has no impact on the general ripples displayed on the water's surface, only the ripples initiated by characters (including your own) when swimming/wading through water. Once again the performance impact of this options should not be significant on most systems, however if you find that swimming or wading - particularly in 3rd person view - is giving you lower FPS, then disable this option.

Advanced Tweaking Section

[Water Variables]

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=1

bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=1

bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=1

bUseWaterReflectionsActors=1

The above settings control the additional reflections possible on the surface of water areas. When set to 1, they allow nearby trees, objects, and other characters to reflect in the water. Note that this reduces FPS in busy areas, and that the additional reflections are only visible when you and the objects are closer to the water.

uDepthRange=125 - This option controls the depth of water visibility from above. The higher the value, the clearer the water appears, however some water glitches may also start becoming apparent, and FPS may be reduced as well.

bUseWaterDepth=1 - If set to 0, water becomes completely opaque (i.e. you cannot see into it at all from above). This can resolve some of the visual glitches which result from changing the uGridsToLoad value, and can also improve FPS, at the cost of some realism.

uNumDepthGrids=3 - Also appears to control the depth of water visible, with lower values making water less transparent. If set too high this results in glitches, but if set to 1 can resolve issues with the uGridsToLoad value being higher than 5 and improve FPS as well.

bUseWaterLOD=1 - If set to 0 removes all water.

fSurfaceTileSize=2048.0000 - Controls the size of the water texture grids. The smaller this value, the smaller the size of texture tiles, and the faster and more tightly packed the water ripples will appear.

Beauty ... thanks for the update, glad to help. Did you use the Advanced Water Modification? I looked at it and I'm intrigued ... just seems to be a lot of negative comments mixed in with the positives in the comment section. If you did try it don't keep your assessment to yourself ... share it!!

Beauty ... thanks for the update, glad to help. Did you use the Advanced Water Modification? I looked at it and I'm intrigued ... just seems to be a lot of negative comments mixed in with the positives in the comment section. If you did try it don't keep your assessment to yourself ... share it!!

Im going to try it out right now. I most likely will try out Natural Env. Water and Phinix Water Fix and compare.

Granted Balakirev. I've learned enough in my short time here to realize that the people with the most problems also have the most mods installed (as a general rule). A number of the comments where the mod did work seemed centered on realism (some described it as a 'tropical paradise' effect). What's your take on that aspect of the mod?