Building new Computers for the 2011 Mark!

HellsMaster

It's just that I found my 650W Corsair couldn't handle it, whether or not having two ATI 4850's in Crossfire has anything to do with it I don't know, but I went up to 1000W.

If there's a remote chance that in future, you may crossfire, the min you want is 750W, remember that just meeting the required specs isn't enough, your gonna want that PSU to do its stuff day in day out for years, it won't make it if its whoopin along at 90 to 100 % of its capability all the time, it will get hot fast and its power output will degrade, as will its componants from constantly running hot.

And don't take the specs in bold letters on the box for gospel, read the small print, its the long term power output specs you need to know. One other thing to remember is that a cheap 1000W PSU won't be as good or dependable as an expensive 750W.

The PSU is your most important componant, everything depends on its capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Saw this thread, though I'd drop by to leave a note on my new Machine for the Skyrim Era.

Posting some info:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, It's the only one I'm linking an image on, since it's the only aesthetic part of the whole deal.

http://www.connectreviews.com/images/antec_ninehundred.jpg

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Three way SLI with an AMD CPU!

EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked - Two of em. Plus my current 9800GTX as a Physx processor, where applicable.

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W - Just about right amount of power.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban - six cores, why not.

Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - For the OS to chill out on.

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - Two of these too. As a note, I KNOW you can get faster clocked ram, but the MOBO I have requires it to be run at 1333, so it would be money and power wasted.

ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 PWM 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Keep things chill.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - I don't know how many of these I'll get yet, probably a few, they're cheap.

BTW, it'll run windows seven pro 64 bit. But I have that laying around already.

All that will be showcased on my dual 19" displays.

I'll be getting this setup end of May, I'm rather pepped.

It'll need a name, open for suggestions.

I am not sure that a 850W psu is enough, not with 3 G.Card on board.

See, that's something I cannot calculate. I'll be doing a bit more research on that end just to make sure.

It will have to be scalable though, as for everyday, and even for some games, two out of the three Graphics cards SHOULD just be turned off.

What about "Black Stallion" or "Nightmare"?

I like the concept, but I would prefer not naming my computer, that I have to build mind you, after anything that sounds anywhere near like it has a mind of it's own or the capabilities of horrifying me while I sleep