fallout 3 and FOSE crash when i download mods

supabad97

:wallbash: this is very annoying and its been happening for ages now. every time i download a mod, fose and fallout 3 crash when i start it. i have reinstalled fallout 3 many time. then reinstalled the mods and it will crash. there are no other forums i have found that have helped me yet, and it would be appreciated if someone would help me. thanx ;D

The reason you don't get help is probably that you don't post any information.

Downloading and installing mods won't crash the game unless you've done something wrong. So try listing the mods and other people can confirm that they're working for them. In that case you can be sure that any error is due to you not following the installation instructions in the readme correctly.

I have to second Skevitj, we could help a lot more if we had more (and more specific) info. Here is the bare minimum you should include:

1. What versions of FO3 and FOSE you are running.

2. Load order of your mods (export it from FOMM and cut and paste it here).

3. Basic rundown of how you went about installing your mods. I.E. Did you use FOMM? Did you make a merge patch with FO3edit? Do you deal with archive invalidation by having it turned on in FOMM or are you using the Archive Invalidation Invalidated mod (the former is better)? Did you install the mods all at once and it went 'boom', or was it stable with most mods and only went agley when you added certain others? You get the idea.

When it comes to providing info to get help in a tech support forum, MORE is more.

i do not use ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated. should i be?

i downloaded all my mods at once. yes i do use FOMM. they all worked once before.

but then something went wrong so i reinstalled fallout and the mods havnt worked since

[X] Anchorage.esm

[X] Fallout3.esm

[X] ThePitt.esm

[X] PointLookout.esm

[X] Zeta.esm

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esm

[X] Their World.esp

[X] PersonalVertibird.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Increased Spawns.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Hunting & Looting.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Reduced Wasteland Spawns.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No DLC Increased Spawns.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No Size Scaling.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No Corpse Flies.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No Ghoul Raise.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No Geckos.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No Wanamingos.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No Floaters.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - No Skeleton Decay.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp

[X] Fellout-Full.esp

OK, I noticed a few problems there that need attention. Posting that load order is turning out to be very productive:

1. Fellout is missing its plugin patches for your DLCs. These are not really critical, but they should prolly be there just the same.

2. You have activated the MMM plugins for the Broken Steel and Anchorage DLCs even though you don't have those DLCs installed. You need to deactivate both of those esps.

3. You have activated both "Increased Spawns" and "Increased increased spawns". These two mods do the same thing, but one is more extreme than the other. Pick the one you want to use and deactivate the other.

4. You need a merge patch.....badly. You should get and install FO3edit and use it to create a merge patch. If you need, I can give you a set of simple steps to do this if you are unfamiliar with merged patches. Just say the word.

As for Archive Invalidation Invalidated, I would not recommend it since you already have a better method to hand, namely FOMM. Fire up FOMM and click on the "Tools" drop-down menu. The bottom option in it should be "Archive Invalidation" - make sure it has a check next to it. That will eliminate any archive invalidation problems in one easy step.

Edit: I just noticed also that you have Anchorage, when at first I thought you didn't. My bad, so leave the MMM plugin for Anchorage and just deactivate the one for Broken Steel. And MOST importantly, move Anchorage.esm DOWN one slot. Nothing should EVER load higher in the order than Fallout3.esm.

Edited by proconsu1

Yes i would like a tutorial on fo3 edit thanx. oh and i got the mods to work for a little while then they crashed again

So it's a serious stability issue. Not surprising. You didn't say as much, but I am going to assume you took care of those other problems I mentioned earlier and are now at the merged patch stage:

1. Get and install FO3edit according to the directions in its readme file. Its a very simply thing, just putting two files into the correct folder.

2. Verify in FOMM that your desired mods are activated (and the undesired redundant esps are NOT!) and your load order is sorted by the "auto sorter" function.

3. Run FO3edit. It will bring up a window with a list of all your active mods - just click "OK" without changing anything here.

4. Now wait patiently for a minute or two as it loads in all those mods. You will know it is done when the status bar at the bottom says "Background loader: finished".

5. In the LEFT hand panel, in a blank spot below the last entry shown, RIGHT-click and select "Created merged patch".

6. Enter a generic name that will identify this merged patch to you, e.g. mergedpatch1 or some such.

7. FO3edit will then create the patch file, and it should put it at the bottom of your load order and activate it. Run FOMM again, though, to double check that it did end up dead last in your load order and is activated. And double check that "Archive Invalidation" is checked in the Tools drop down while you have FOMM loaded.

8. Launch FOSE and see how it plays.

And then if it fails again, go back into FOMM and export your load order one more time and repost it here. It may prove useful to see what changes FOMM made as we try to figure out what else still needs attention. Good luck, dude!

Edited by proconsu1

Ok only two mods work:

their world and fellout.

[X] Fallout3.esm

[X] Anchorage.esm

[X] ThePitt.esm

[X] PointLookout.esm

[X] Zeta.esm

[X] StreetLights.esm

[X] RTS NW.esm

[X] M64MiniHideoutGOTYplugin.esp

[X] Fellout-Anchorage.esp