Get rid of negative endorsements

ZuluFoxtrot

Elries has it. I rarely thumbs-down anything unless it's genuinely broken or damages my game (thru .ini files, etc). And if I did give a negative endorsement, I'd say why. Hell, most of my POSITIVE endorsements contain constructive criticism- it can really help with works in progress and bug-zapping. And as a newbie script'er, I appreciate such help.

It's been suggested a few times that negative endorsements should require a comment concerning WHY the thumb is pointing down. The moderators already police the file-share quite diligently- any flame-ratings could be removed and any trolls could get the boot up the butt they have coming. And maybe add a system where the author could post THEIR comment on a critique, as well as PM the critic. Then people could test the content out again, and maybe turn that thumb around.

Personal taste shouldn't be a deciding factor in how one rates a mod, unless it's discriminatory, offensive or illegal/against the site rules. I've learned thru the years to just move along if I see stuff I simply don't like, even if it does wanna make me scream (see my 'About Me page :P).

Edited by DJZephyr

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case people don't realize - you can't add your own comment when "negatively endorsing" something - I get the following multiple choices:

I couldn't get the file to work

the file didn't do what the description implied

there were important files missing (animations, textures, etc.) that meant the file didn't work properly

the file caused conflicts with the game or other popular files

the file did not meet my high quality standards

after playing the file it doesn't fit in to my personal tastes or beliefs, etc.

I despise giving negative endorsements and have only done so once. The mod seemed broken and had been pointed out by several people as broken and the author had not responded in like a month. And I was sort of frustrated with the situation. If I give a negative endorsement, I would like to be able to add a comment with my negative endorsement as explanation. Also, I would be nice to see if a negative endorsement is given if it was just trollish or a real reason.

You used to get a comment box with a neg/low rating, just like with a positive/high rating. It was changed because people either left it blank, or filled it with flames.

I don't think giving a thumbs down prevents you from commenting normally (ie, without endorsing at all) so you can still leave feedback, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

In case people don't realize - you can't add your own comment when "negatively endorsing" something - I get the following multiple choices:

That's why I suggested adding the option to do so - no, to make it a requirement. Such a simple change would probably help keep the system from being exploited. In your case you'd have more than enough legitimate reason to write something about it, but people exploiting it just because they don't like something is a different story.

Take this for example. 6 thumbs down. It might as well read:

1 User doesn't like Warcraft and wants to remind you of such.

2 Users don't know how to install mods, but do know how to give negative ratings.

1 User might have a legitimate issue but we'll never know.

2 Users are either out of their mind or meant to choose option 1.

Well, if they leave it blank than it's considered spam, if it's filled with flames... well, that speaks for itself. They're both somewhat reportable offenses. Plus, there's no reason why such a system couldn't be tweaked to not allow such comments, like if you try to upload something without a file name. Don't allow blank comments, nothing but spaces, etc. If the uploader sees a rating with a comment like "sucks" or "ijnetgijsnjhnba," they're both easily contested.

Of course, I'm just bringing an idea to the table. I'm another one that would happily see the whole thing go, but if that ends up not being an option, I figured it'd be worth mentioning an alternative.

After reading the thread and everything I guess the negative endorsement system causes more good than evil.

It may simply reduce the number of flames on the feedback thread.

Flames should be simply responded to with the report button but sadly you just cant trust the uploader to always do the right thing when emotions get involved.

although there is no "box" to leave comments while neg endorsing, there is nothing stopping you from posting in the comments section after you neg endorse. I have seen it happen. A guy neg endorsed a mod then put why he neg endorsed it in the comments. You can still do it, but it is an extra step. neg endorsements on mods that are good say one of 2 things to me, a) the people leaving the neg are newbs or b)they are trolls. If a mod has 50 pos and a couple negatives, I just ignore those negatives because most of the time they fit in category a) or b) above. Some of the reasons for negs are ridiculous in some instances.....case in point....a neg endorsement for "can't get the mod to work" when more than 20 others have and have pos endorsed seems just silly to me. It would be cool to "tag" certain neg endorsement reasons like that and after like 20 people have tagged it, it is no longer a choice.

I am in the camp of people that won't neg endorse a file unless it breaks the game. I have not as of yet neg endorsed anything because I actually read the comments and don't DL mods that have a lot of people complaining about the mod not working right or conflicting with a popular mod I am running.

a VAST majority of neg endorsements are "legal" trolling, but most people can see that. I especially think this is true with the "does not fit personal tastes or beliefs ect." choice.....uhhh, I thought if that was the case, the Nexus policy is to move on and don't comment. That one seems in direct violation with the TOS.....IMHO. It makes me wonder though.....they actually have to download the mod and wait 3 hours to rate.....dedicated trolls I guess. :down:

Even if someone gives a non-inflamitory reason for neging a file he is still going to get flamed and an argument will ensue.

There's been numerous files that have known errors but the author doesn't state the file is a beta or wip... Like the readius or NC bounties. I've tried to point it out before and just get flamed. People often consider a few errors acceptable. IMO if its version number is 1.+ there shouldn't be...

Point is, there is no good way to allow criticism or neg endorsements without someone getting butt hurt. The way it is now isn't bad, authors should just get over it and try to fix their files.