Get rid of negative endorsements

ZuluFoxtrot

We don't remove negative endorsements for the same reason we don't remove positive endorsements. By doing so it would be telling the endorser that their opinion was wrong. The negative gives someone with a bad experience with a mod a way to vent without flaming the mod author. What if the negative isn't really justified? Well, what if a positive isn't really justified - it cuts both ways.

Again, The negatives don't count for anything. They are not taken into account for the top lists at all.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if every "thumbs-up" also has to be supported, and if judged insufficently justified, removed as well. :tongue:

Well, sure, I guess you could say that, but the only comments that should ever be reported are ones that violate the terms of service, and most of the time positive feedback doesn't. Is requiring a comment when an option like "it doesn't fit in to my personal tastes or beliefs" exists kind of messed up? It sure is, that would make it practically troll bait. Then get rid of that one, it seems to only serve as an outlet for silent complaining anyway. But if a feedback comment is unnecessarily rude, derogatory, etc, then it should be treated like any other post that fits that criteria.

For the most part, requiring a comment would benefit modders because the feedback may help them improve their mod, fix errors, etc.

sontasejou, it's not a matter of modder sensitivity, it's the fact that the negative endorsements, as they stand right now, are absolutely useless. Because there's no comment system built into it, if there's a genuine problem, the modder will never know. If it's a user issue, nobody will be able to help them. Stuff like that.

Also, it'd be mint if the list of users on the negative endorsers page actually linked back to the post they made... that would be cool. It would let people see what the issue was, if it was resolved, etc.

Only if every "thumbs-up" also has to be supported, and if judged insufficently justified, removed as well. :tongue:

... Well, sure, I guess you could say that, but the only comments that should ever be reported are ones that violate the terms of service, and most of the time positive feedback doesn't.

Hey Eiries;

First, I agree with you that the "Report" function is exactly for violations fo the ToS. The discussion was about discouraging flamers and trolls from abusing the endorsement mechanism. My point was that the Report button served that purpose, (albeit, after-the-fact.)

Second, note the emoticon after my remarks (included in your quote.) I was not seriously advocating requiring supporting comments for every positive or negative endorsement. Simply, and (I thought) humourously pointing out that to be fair, if we did the latter we should do the former. :laugh:

See bben's post for a more straight forward statement of the policy. :thumbsup:

Ahhh, you were making a funny! :biggrin:

I think bben ended up posting that one while I was working on my own, sometimes I end up floating away in the middle of a reply and coming back to it a while later. Didn't even see it there. Anyway, the concept of getting rid of a nasty comment and getting rid of the vote itself are two very different things. Since the vote has no negative impact on the mod, I'd suggest leaving it there and wiping the nasty comment in that yellowish way you guys do it, stating something along the lines of the user being a cheeseball and not being able to contain themselves, etc. You know what I mean. Getting rid of the vote itself can prove to be very problematic, as bben had said earlier.

The comment doesn't necessarily have to be valid (as sly stated) as much as civil. If someone wants to downvote a mod because they don't know how to read directions, that's fine. Lame, but fine. At least requiring a comment could possibly get them the help they need and make them change their vote.

Speaking of which, is it possible to revoke a negative endorsement? Like in the above instance, an individual gets themselves fixed up, realizes it's the greatest mod ever, do they have the ability to revoke the bad rating and give them a proper one? Just curious, never downvoted before.

The only issue I really have with the system is this:

I couldn't get the file to work

the file did not meet my high quality standards

after playing the file it doesn't fit in to my personal tastes or beliefs, etc.

The first one: If they don't ask for help, I simply assume they're boneheads who can't read. Why should a bonehead who can't or won't read your instructions be allowed to slam you for it without justifying it first? That's a borderline troll option.

The second one is nothing but a pure troll reason, as is the 3rd. If people aren't allowed to post comments about how something "sucks" why should they be allowed to troll the neg votes with reasons that amount to nothing more than "it sucks"? Easily half of the negative votes on this site shouldn't even exist considering they'd be TOS violations and possibly bannable offenses if they were put into words.

Arth, because your post suggests even if someone did post why they neg endorsed you would just flame them, as you do your imaginary neg endorser there.

It doesn't matter what reason someone gives. It will just turn into a flame war. The current system allows them to express their opinion without anyone fighting.

Actually, no, I'd report them for the TOS violations that the troll options in the negative endorsements are already allowing them to get away with.

I guess what's really bothersome about those last two is that it's written in plain English on the ToS:

If you disagree with the content of a file on the site then do not post. Simply ignore the file and move on.

That's how it's always been. So why do these options even exist?

Actually, no, I'd report them for the TOS violations that the troll options in the negative endorsements are already allowing them to get away with.

1 little thumbs down really bugs you that much huh? What do you do when you walk down the street and someone gives you a dirty look?