Dragon age mods

seweryn

Since Dragon age origins was so popular game. I am wondering why it has so few mods compared to oblivion that has 24 thousands mods or Fallout 3 that have around 11 thousands mods. Are people not intersted in Dragon age at all or out of ideas ? I am just wondering since I remember oblivion came out how many people were saying that oblivion is such a lame game.

because the toolset for dragon age is not as good as oblivoins CS and its harder to mod for.

I am run the toolset of DA:O since the release DA but still cannot open it. Tried every tips I have found on the net, still cannot even open. I would love to open it since you can only change tatoo in toolset.

But thanks for answer. I was always wondering what the reason is for this.

Edited by seweryn

Hey seweryn;

Besides the fact that DA (and the Infinity engine it's built around) is much newer than the Oblivion and Fallout series, and in addition to the technical difficulties in using the DA Toolset, another reason for the difference in the number of mods is that DA is much more plot-driven. It isn't an open-world game, so there isn't a lot of room for small encounters and random characters. Small scale mods are pretty much limited to a few types:

a) Facemorphs; by number, the most common type.

b) Single Items; arms and armour, mostly. How many different swords does the average player really want?

c) Bug Fixes (once one modder has done it, no one else has to)

The more complex mods need to include so much to make them function correctly both in terms of the game engine itself AND the plot-line(s), that very few are created. But there are some:

a) Gameplay Changes (Tactics, NPC behaviour, etc.)

b) True expansions (the largest, and most difficult kind of mod)

And lastly, with utilities like "The Winter Forge", many players simply "roll-their-own" mods and create the unique items they want for their own use. No need to search for someone else's "almost right" version when you can make it just the way you want. :thumbsup:

Edited by Thandal
inserted link.

Thats one disadvantage from BioWare games to Bethesda .... Bethesda invariably has a much larger sandbox, a living breathing world - which greatly helps with immersion... and is easier to add things to... also easier to mod cause the toolset is better....

the good news is that TES5 is coming out and will spawn more mods for years to come....

I'm sitting here with DA:O trying to make it last with Mods until DA2 comes out and its a hard thing... What we really need for DA:O are more expansions / questlines made by players =-)

Thats one disadvantage from BioWare games to Bethesda .... Bethesda invariably has a much larger sandbox, a living breathing world - which greatly helps with immersion... and is easier to add things to... also easier to mod cause the toolset is better....

the good news is that TES5 is coming out and will spawn more mods for years to come....

I'm sitting here with DA:O trying to make it last with Mods until DA2 comes out and its a hard thing... What we really need for DA:O are more expansions / questlines made by players =-)

So you predict that when skyrim will come out it will crush DA 2 or the other way around then .

because the toolset for dragon age is not as good as oblivoins CS and its harder to mod for.

I am run the toolset of DA:O since the release DA but still cannot open it. Tried every tips I have found on the net, still cannot even open. I would love to open it since you can only change tatoo in toolset.

But thanks for answer. I was always wondering what the reason is for this.

I think the main issue with Toolset is the stupid SQL Server s***.

another problem is there is no easy tool like nifskope for DA. Creating new items is much harder in DA and creating new armor from scratch.... :wallbash: ....well it's enough to make you want to start drinking lol. retexturing is still very easy if you have photoshop, but new meshes? *shudders*

So you predict that when skyrim will come out it will crush DA 2 or the other way around then .

I've read that bioware doesnt at this time, plan to release a toolset for DA2. Which means that as for modability... oh yeah... Skyrim is going to kick DA2's butt with the modders. At least until somebody figures out how to get the DA2 files into the existing toolset ;)

ON topic... yeah... Dragon age is just a lot more limited on what we have access to, to mod. And when it comes to some of the more extensive mod projects, its a lot more difficult to learn how, and a lot more work involved.

More than need be, IMO.

Sorta' on-topic: THe first "mod" for DA2(Demo) was posted on March 1st. See the DA2 forum, Topic: "Custom Hawke" for the link to the BioWare Social.

It opens the CC within the Demo so you can change your Hawke's appearance. (Same author also figured out how to unlock the inventory screens.)

I managed to create a few new Hawkes, I also managed to crash the Demo immediately after finishing some of them, but that may have been because I told it to import the end-state settings from a DA:O save, which is also done within the CC!

Interesting thing about those imported settings, they display a "Plot Summary" that tells you all the things they're establishing about the backstory. No matter which one I chose, (including the one for a PC who is still in Lothering!) they ALL said that Alistair was King and that I had let Loghain live to become a Grey Warden.

Hope that's a hiccough in the Demo and that the Full Game reads things correctly. Except for the ONCE to get the achievement, I NEVER let Loghain live! (Although I did use the "Resurrection" cheat a few times to test a solution for a friend. :laugh: )

Anyway, maybe there's hope for getting mods to work earlier, rather than waiting on BioWare. :thumbsup: