Crashing on Save

Iceblade423

Okay, I kept removing mods, loading the latest savegame and attempting to quick save. After a few of these, the game quick-saved with no crash.

One of these mods is causing a serious screw up. It is either Steel with Patrol version 1 or BOS Armoury. The crashes didn't go away until I removed these two mods, but when put them back in the load order no crash. It is possible that it takes time before the conflict occurs such as with the armory as it is a conflict over the shop inventory and the crash almost seemed to start at about the same time in-game.

I'll post if I it starts up again.

Edit: Since I placed the armoury mod near the bottom of the load order, I had no crash. I decided to make a quick check and moving the mod higher up in the order caused an instantaneous crash on loading. I loaded the game up again, but no crashes on saves yet. Very annoying, but at least I can be certain it is one of these two mods causing the problem.

Edited by Iceblade423

Strong hunch? Yah I get those.

It's not a murder case you are trying to solve.

It's just data. Look it up. Then you know.

Get FO3 edit an load the whole list, then apply a conflict filter. Webinsized FO3 edit guide by CSB

How much red an purple is there?

Then read GECK main page So you know how to fix it.

Steel with patrol doesn't appear to have any conflicts of consequence. Some unnamed regions are named and a few regions have their differences in one of the regions in XCLR - Regions where Broken Steel adds: CitadelWeatherRegion and the mod has a blank for that spot (which is strange that that would cause a conflict/override).

The armoury mod has a conflict for vendor container where this mod changes it to something else and a subsequent mod replaces it with the original information. Obviously the load order here needs to be changed, but I don't see any change in her inventory when I change the load order. Maybe the inventory is just not getting refreshed by simply disabling/enabling the quartermaster.

Edit: waited a few days, her inventory refreshed, but no crash on save. Her inventory obviously sucked (really it was that bad in vanilla game).

Edited by Iceblade423

It's happened again.

Each time (I think this is the third time I've had it) I manage to get it working again (disabling a select few mods, saving and then reenabling), the problem returns every few (2 or 3) days IRL. It seems clear that this conflict is coming from something that happens at some time point (in-game) after mod initialization. I'm not sure if it is 3/4 days in-game or longer. I do so much fast traveling it is near impossible to tell with noting it.

I've been adding a few mods and have already removed the other day (from load order and merged patch) the mod I strongly suspected of being the problem (Brotherhood Intensity), but clearly this wasn't the culprit as the crash occurred again. I took out of load order the armoury mod, which was the other mod removed previously that fixed the problem. No luck this time, though.

This problem is getting really annoying.

I'm going to see if I can't find the problem mod (hopefully it is just one mod).

Edit: Okay I tried removing the "extra mutants in mall area" mod (Mall Overhaul) and magically the problem is gone.

Is it possible that too many AIs in the game world causes the game to have 'fits' when it tries to save the game state? Would make sense considering the numbers of AIs currently active across all maps is probably 500 give or take a hundred or so.

Edited by Iceblade423

Try finding an isolated spot with no other inhabitants, like the Super Duper Mart or Silver's house (if you killed her). Then just use the wait function to spin off four or five full 24-hour blocks of time. Then go outside and save the game, see if it goes 'boom'. If it does, then you know your earlier suspicion about something being updated in the world is causing the problem, possibly some mod that is spawning something that shouldn't be. This way you don't have to invest a lot of play time into it before finding out that something like that is indeed going on.