A big "Hello" to the Community

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #27225114. #27230414, #27233049, #27236124 are all replies on the same post.

hauntedabyss wrote: I took Your survey I did alot of thinking and I hope you liked my response. My Biggest Suggestions Were Checkout layouts of Reality websites as they are common for the ideas of searching for stuff. Tags, Certifications Are a Big Deal for many sites that have mods. Top, Good Gems will be easier to find as well as Exactly what people are looking for.. Ie Sound mods for certain things or (name) city overhauls Ect. Just a Refined More streamlined Site, Layout would help out aswell. Make it so we dont have to click page by page and can have a infinite scroll would also be a blessing.

I also Hope we can figure out how to keep The tabs section on mods Maybe on the leftside instead of just the top.
but its very buggy,videos constantly Break and clicking back and forth causes issues, Pages Crash. This needs to be reworked!!!!

Finally I hope more tabs could be added or Sections to mods. For ex. I hope to see ,Help Section, Updates, Compatibility Tab. Ect not just all this s#*! shoved in a fourm. The bug Tab should be mandatory as well
ps. Welcome to Nexus =D hope good things will come !!
RUkiddin06 wrote: "Make it so we dont have to click page by page and can have a infinite scroll would also be a blessing."

Holy s#*! yes.
BlindJudge wrote: I'm going to be reading through the surveys over the weekend (10k + and counting!). The information coming in is very varied, a lot of excellent points have already been raised and noted down.

Feel free to drop me a message (same for anyone) if you have anything that you think of in regards to the site since doing the survey.

And thank you for the welcome :)
Devmarta wrote: I'm definitely for infinite scrolling rather than pages.

I prefer having things paged myself, since infinite scrolling makes it hard to easily jump back to older stuff without going through a browser-creaking, miles long page first. (That, and the 100%-completion part of me always wants to keep scrolling too far down said page.)

I wouldn't mind having an option to do either paged or infinte-scroll, though, like parts of Tumblr or Flickr, or like the "load more topics" button on the Nexus forums. Edited by AaronOfMpls

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #27252514. #27253274 is also a reply to the same post.

aareyn wrote: I just don't understand am I the only one who hates the message system here? Notifications like so you want me to reread through 100s of comments to see if the mod author replied to my comment?

Using sites like:
- Newgrounds.com
- Deviantart.com
- Youtube.com
- imgur.com

I know have a comment system in place but nexusmods unfortunately doesn't have it.

You may think this isn't a big deal but it kinda is the "community" can't keep in contact with each other unless they're desperate.

EDIT: Also you open notifications it is a long list if you tracked a bunch of mods why not go to a separate page?

Lastly I wont respond due to me not receiving any indication of me getting a message.
1wolffan wrote: Agreed, this commenting system is strange, and hard to keep track of sometimes. I should have put that in the survey.

Also, the white text on dark background is a slightly tiring (to the eye) color scheme, but there are so many other sites out there that use it that maybe it's better for other things.

Yah, it is a bit goofy. I wouldn't mind having comment notifications, mod updates, new images, etc. on separate lists up there, or even separate tracking (sub-)pages like some art sites do. Edited by AaronOfMpls

In response to post #27245429. #27249109 is also a reply to the same post.

Farvahar wrote: It should be easier to donate, I'm thinking a system like the Steam wallet, where I can chip in a few cents or a dollar to a mod project with one click of a button (or two). Give the Nexus 5% of the donation, and you have a winning formula.
Percephere wrote: Sure, but one of the big selling points of the Nexus' donation (to modders) system is that 100% of it goes to the modder(s) you donate to.

Maybe have it as an option, like how online pizza sites let you tack on the driver's tip with only a click or two? Then the people that want to can and the people that don't won't have to.

In response to post #27212259. #27234394, #27250789 are all replies on the same post.

Lice23 wrote: Unfortunately, I only thought of this stuff after taking the survey, so I thought I'd go ahead and post it here. I'm really a big fan of material design. I think it looks very modern and is easily accessible and navigate-able (take a look at the LOOT site if you'd like to know what I 'm talking about). Perhaps if the site's design were to take a step in that direction, I think it'd be quite the improvement. =)
Another, smaller, thing I'd like to mention is that I think the tags could do with an overhaul of sorts. Adding new ones, maybe renaming some of the more general ones... I suggested this in the survey, but I'll go ahead and say this again, it'd be really awesome if there was a tag suggestion box at the bottom of the tag tab. The way this would work is, after suggesting a tab, it'd be voted on, like the rest of the tags, and, after achieving a certain number of upvotes, it'd be formally added to the tags. Likewise, if this same tag (or something very similar, maybe mods/admins can take a look at the suggested tags once in a while) is suggested a certain number of times, it gets added to the default tags.
Let's take the wonderful Cleric mod by masterbobcat as an example (here's the link if you'd like to see for yourself: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59932/?).
Obviously, this mod was added to help roleplaying as a cleric. So, why not add a tag for this? There could be a general tag for roleplaying, and then a more specific tag for the Cleric "class".
What do you guys think?
BlindJudge wrote: Hey Lice23,

We have a lot of people mentioning tagging in the survey and it's def something that we will be looking at, the responses have been truly amazing and only now am I really understanding the affection people have towards the site. It's incredible and humbling!

Every response we've received I will be going through. (Just hit 11000 replies) and making note of everything said - my weekend is going to be busy, busy, busy!

If you think of anything else, then please drop me a pm.
Lice23 wrote: Good luck! I think you'll need it xD Oh, and welcome! Forgot to mention that! I'll be sure to PM you with any more ideas that float across my mind!

It's heartening to hear you'll be going through everyone's responses. I feel like Imgur refused to do that in their last update and ended up angering a lot of people.

In response to post #27225114. #27230414, #27233049, #27236124, #27253594 are all replies on the same post.

hauntedabyss wrote: I took Your survey I did alot of thinking and I hope you liked my response. My Biggest Suggestions Were Checkout layouts of Reality websites as they are common for the ideas of searching for stuff. Tags, Certifications Are a Big Deal for many sites that have mods. Top, Good Gems will be easier to find as well as Exactly what people are looking for.. Ie Sound mods for certain things or (name) city overhauls Ect. Just a Refined More streamlined Site, Layout would help out aswell. Make it so we dont have to click page by page and can have a infinite scroll would also be a blessing.

I also Hope we can figure out how to keep The tabs section on mods Maybe on the leftside instead of just the top.
but its very buggy,videos constantly Break and clicking back and forth causes issues, Pages Crash. This needs to be reworked!!!!

Finally I hope more tabs could be added or Sections to mods. For ex. I hope to see ,Help Section, Updates, Compatibility Tab. Ect not just all this s#*! shoved in a fourm. The bug Tab should be mandatory as well
RUkiddin06 wrote: "Make it so we dont have to click page by page and can have a infinite scroll would also be a blessing."

Holy s#*! yes.
BlindJudge wrote: I'm going to be reading through the surveys over the weekend (10k + and counting!). The information coming in is very varied, a lot of excellent points have already been raised and noted down.

Feel free to drop me a message (same for anyone) if you have anything that you think of in regards to the site since doing the survey.

AaronOfMpls wrote: I prefer having things paged myself, since infinite scrolling makes it hard to easily jump back to older stuff without going through a browser-creaking, miles long page first. (That, and the 100%-completion part of me always wants to keep scrolling too far down said page.)

I wouldn't mind having an option to do either paged or infinte-scroll, though, like parts of Tumblr or Flickr, or like the "load more topics" button on the Nexus forums.

No Problem,Kinda suprised Infinate scrolling wasnt like #1 honestly seeing there is like 400,000+ mods on here lol Im Glad The team Is stepping up game. I know most moderators are very busy like most people But Ya Ive actually have felt like the site is becoming kinda, Slummy Like Not Run down but some what "Combersome" In terms of feel compared to HTML5 websites. Im Very happy to see my voice was heard in these thousands of people.

Well I know when you exhaust yourself from reading them your going to be all like f*#@ i forgot what letter 400 said. Take alot of notes in a seperate notebook!!! LOL so ya dont loose your thoughts :P

Edited by hauntedabyss

In response to post #27225114. #27230414, #27233049, #27236124, #27253594, #27256499 are all replies on the same post.

Holy s#*! yes.

AaronOfMpls wrote: I prefer having things paged myself, since infinite scrolling makes it hard to easily jump back to older stuff without going through a browser-creaking, miles long page first. (That, and the 100%-completion part of me always wants to keep scrolling too far down said page.)

I wouldn't mind having an option to do either paged or infinte-scroll, though, like parts of Tumblr or Flickr, or like the "load more topics" button on the Nexus forums.
hauntedabyss wrote: No Problem,Kinda suprised Infinate scrolling wasnt like #1 honestly seeing there is like 400,000+ mods on here lol Im Glad The team Is stepping up game. I know most moderators are very busy like most people But Ya Ive actually have felt like the site is becoming kinda, Slummy Like Not Run down but some what "Combersome" In terms of feel compared to HTML5 websites. Im Very happy to see my voice was heard in these thousands of people.

Well I know when you exhaust yourself from reading them your going to be all like f*#@ i forgot what letter 400 said. Take alot of notes in a seperate notebook!!! LOL so ya dont loose your thoughts :P

Exactly! Check boxes and tags to narrow browsing for gems more specific. Or a favorites section for nexus to relate and suggest mods to users. maybe a compatibility-izer to check if two mods can work out with each other before downloading them or make it easier for new modders.

Hi all,

If you’re reading this and you're wondering who I am then you might want to check out Robin's news post that briefly introduces me. But let me explain a little more about myself. Firstly, a big hello!

Okay, so my name is Paul and I go under the forum name BlindJudge - which comes from one of my favourite looking wakeboard tricks and no, I can’t do it - yet!

I’m a passionate gamer who enjoys pretty much any game going, my Steam collection is pretty vast (1100+ games at present) and contains everything from the latest blockbusters through to some lesser known but amazing gems of indie titles. Currently I’m playing games such as Battleblock Theatre, retreading my way through Skyrim (this time modded to the brim) and some of the old school games like the Homeworld remake.

I've been brought in alongside Robin to work in a Content Director role. It's a wide and very varied role but will initially focus on improving how the staff work behind the scenes and working on a complete redesign of the Nexus Mods site. That might be a little worrying, for a new guy to come in and tell you he's heading up a redesign of the sites, but let me try and put your fears to rest.

The Nexus site design is now a good 4-5 years old and it's starting to show its age. Not only that, but it's also splitting at the seams due to all the functionality that's been "tacked on" since the last site redesign was done. The current design wasn't developed with a lot of the new functionality that's been added since in mind, hence why some places can seem a bit cramped and it's often hard to find exactly what you want.

As has always been the Nexus way, we want this process to be as transparent and open to the community as possible and we would love people to come forward every step of the way to offer their suggestions, thoughts and any input you deem could help us deliver to you the site that you deserve. We're not keeping this a secret and just springing it on you once it's ready. We're not working in private with a couple of "respected users". We want to get everyone's opinion every step of the way through to completion. This is your site and your community and you guys are best placed to tell us what you think is best for it - not us and not a few "carefully selected" individuals. We would like it to not only look nice but be exceptionally easy to navigate and easy to find exactly what you're looking for while highlighting not only the bigger mods but also the hidden gems people may have discovered. Importantly we'd also like to to be future proof for any new functionality we add to the sites in the future to avoid that "tacked on" look.

We’ve already started collecting lots of behind the scenes data over the last month. Heatmaps have shown us where people are clicking and how many people scroll up and down the pages. Analytics are showing us where people are arriving from and which pages they are entering and how they're browsing between the various pages on the site. The next logical step for us is to get some really important information from you guys, the people who use the sites the most, on what you'd like to see from a new Nexus site design. To that end I've set up a quick survey, it only has 15 questions, which are mostly multiple choice and should (honestly!) only take 5 minutes to complete, unless you want to give us really detailed information (which we'd really like to read!).

So if you don’t mind, please take our survey, the information you submit will be used to make the site better for you, after all! As an added incentive we’re going to pick 5 names at random from the completed surveys and each of those people will receive a $50 Steam Gift Card.

I know, they are annoying and no one likes to fill in surveys - but the information that we can capture from you guys would be highly advantageous to all of us when it comes to a site wide redesign. We don’t want to just change things over and spring it on you in a “TA DA” kind of way, we would like it to be user driven and because of this, my posts will more than often be asking for help, input, or informing you where we are in the process - and it’s going to be a long process!

So what is our timeline and when do we start?

Well, as mentioned we’ve already started to collect important data behind the scenes and hope this will give us a good insight into what is currently working and not working on the site. There will be a few more bouts of research, such as the survey, so we predict this could last anywhere up to around 8 weeks. We’ll try and get wireframes drawn up and put out in the public eye to gauge reaction and see if anyone has anything they strongly agree or disagree with. Heck, if you feel that you can come up with any ideas or wireframes or even designs yourself then we would love to see them.

Following the research and initial planning stages we’ll jump into the initial design stages which we will announce on the site. This is where we will be consulting the community and UI/UX experts to come up with design mockups for the site, using wireframes and feedback for the designs. These will once again be scrutinised and discussed, shown to the community and your comments will help further these. This should last around 8-10 weeks.

We would love for the new site (the moment it reaches Beta) to be released alongside the current one like the Nexus did with the previous design. This means that people will be able to switch between the two designs, old and new, finding out what they like about the new site, but more importantly what they don’t. There will be a feedback form for you to report back anything straight to us. Every single one of these will be read by me and put into metrics to facilitate changes to the more disliked features or a bug tracker to get things fixed.

It will be exciting times for us over the next few months as the site is developed and coded. It will be done in parallel with the existing site, so nothing will change on the existing NexusMods.com site and, as we said, we'll consult you guys, the users, throughout the entire process.

Site launch day will be exciting, this will be the day when the site swaps over from what it is now to the new one. It will have been a long labour of love from not only the staff here, but also the community as a whole and something I am exceptionally excited to see happen.

Once the new design is rolled out we are going to make sure that site updates and features are then released quickly, no getting stagnant as we want to evolve at the same pace as (or ahead of!) the gaming industry, quick to react to changes taking place in the gaming world. It will be a part of my job to move the site forward quickly ensuring that we stay ahead of the pack. Through listening to the wants and needs of the community I believe this is very possible.

It’s nice to finally say hello and I’m looking forward to working with each and every one of you.

Regards

Paul

Welcome Paul

In response to post #27225114. #27230414, #27233049, #27236124, #27253594, #27256499, #27257609 are all replies on the same post.

Holy s#*! yes.

hauntedabyss wrote: No Problem,Kinda suprised Infinate scrolling wasnt like #1 honestly seeing there is like 400,000+ mods on here lol Im Glad The team Is stepping up game. I know most moderators are very busy like most people But Ya Ive actually have felt like the site is becoming kinda, Slummy Like Not Run down but some what "Combersome" In terms of feel compared to HTML5 websites. Im Very happy to see my voice was heard in these thousands of people.

Daveminer1496 wrote: Exactly! Check boxes and tags to narrow browsing for gems more specific. Or a favorites section for nexus to relate and suggest mods to users. maybe a compatibility-izer to check if two mods can work out with each other before downloading them or make it easier for new modders.

a way to filter your tracked mods so i don't have to go through 95 pages to find a mod i like that was made 2 years ago that i can't quite remember the name of, i.e being able to filter home mods in my tracking list

I mentioned it in the survey, but I feel it needs to be mentioned here as well. The notifications could use a light overhaul, nothing major, but for efficient functionality.

I'd like it if the notifications did away with the "More..." button and just gave me a scroll bar and all of my notifications at once. I find it mildly (and it is mild) inconvenient to click "more" all the time to see if I have notifications, only to have it tell me I don't have anymore notifications, thereby eliminating my "remove all" option. A scroll bar plus Remove All would be nice.

Also, another thing I'd like (and one I failed to mention in the survey because I didn't think of it then) would be a way to disable emoticons by default. I'm always unticking the checkbox that lets me use them because they always cause problems for me, having to work around the non-standard key commands you guys are using.

Edited by Madrias