Male centered gaming

Lehcar

Yes, we have Alyx Vance and Chell (even though she doesn't speak) who pretty much act the same as male characters, to counter Bayonetta and the elves of Warcraft.

I'm a guy. I don't play games that are "pure fanservice". Mostly because they don't have the content I want to see.

So far everyone has overlooked Laura Croft. (Tomb Raider) A strong female protagonist in a game that men liked to play. The game did not rely on the hero being female. However, I do think it made the game better.

The thing with Lara Croft is she looks like a typical "fanservice" girl, which is why I didn't mention her ;)

She might be able to look after herself, but she is still "perfect" like the girls on the pages of Maxim.

indeed she is, but she was my hero when I was a kid. I'm like wow, a beautiful woman that can kick butt :D She's still one of my favorites :)

But yeah, sex sells...it's been like that for ages. It's male centered because most males play these type of games...most females are "casual" gamers.

Though not really an action hero the Syberia series features a female protagonist.... Kate Walker and I found her solutions to problems a quite amusing change of pace.

indeed she is, but she was my hero when I was a kid. I'm like wow, a beautiful woman that can kick butt :D She's still one of my favorites :)

But yeah, sex sells...it's been like that for ages. It's male centered because most males play these type of games...most females are "casual" gamers.

Well, possibly due to being told it's "unladylike" and "girls shouldn't like exploding things". Then there's the issue that there are plenty of horror stories about sexist atmospheres in online games--can be as simple as a bunch of guys calling each other "girly" as an insult, or sexist jokes.

Well, possibly due to being told it's "unladylike" and "girls shouldn't like exploding things". Then there's the issue that there are plenty of horror stories about sexist atmospheres in online games--can be as simple as a bunch of guys calling each other "girly" as an insult, or sexist jokes.

Let us remember that our language is not immutable, Rather than throwing around prejucices (I'm sure you don't) why don't we consider that other interpretations of 'girly' are possibly current which interpret the word to mean such as 'squealy' or 'panicky' or maybe 'non survival beneficial'?

I merely offer the suggestion. :mellow:

I know they mean the other person is a bad player. Just as "you throw like a girl" means you're bad at throwing things. "Girl"/"girly" shouldn't be insults because that's implying that femininity is a bad thing. That's sexist. We can change the way we talk to be less sexist, too ;)

I know they mean the other person is a bad player. Just as "you throw like a girl" means you're bad at throwing things. "Girl"/"girly" shouldn't be insults because that's implying that femininity is a bad thing. That's sexist. We can change the way we talk to be less sexist, too ;)

Just as 'gay' has a commonly accepted meaning today why should we not assume that a younger female in twenty years time might have difficulty accepting the label 'girl' as she has for her lifetime accepted a different label and besides which the term 'girl' is known in her time to be a non sex-specifiec term for a 'wuss' or incapable person? :dry:

Stuff blowing up is cool :D So are cars, big guns, American football, and many other what would be considered "manly" things :thumbsup:

Sexist jokes are mean, towards both parties. I used to talk on the mic in TF2 and all I would hear is, "what are you an 8 year old boy?" or when someone did know I was a girl they would say "tits or gtfo" or some stupid crap like that. I stopped talking all together...lots of times people would PM me on Steam asking to see my bits...*sigh* :rolleyes:

I don't play many online games anymore just because of how people act. People don't realize that some folks take insults more seriously than others and it can hurt them. People shouldn't label each other and insult each other so much...but it's the Internet. You wouldn't say those things to someone face to face, you'd get the crap beat out of you.

Have you seen what Lara looks like now for the new game? I don't know if it's supposed to be a much younger version of her, but she actually looks like a "normal" woman. But, I never cared what she looked like, I cared that she had guns and was an explorer. I think maybe they are trying to re-vamp her to make her more appealing to female gamers.