Nothing appearing in render window

If this is the Construction Set you're talking about it could be that when you release the item in the render window it's too high up to see. Example ... sometimes when I drop a new NPC into the render window all I see is their feet (and sometimes their hands off to the sides), like I was inside their body about belly button level. When I hit 'F' they drop down and I can see and move them around as normal. If what you're dropping into the render window is small, and the situation is as I described above, the item might be back just behind your point of view. Try hitting 'F' to drop the item down, or zoom back a little after releasing it into the render window.

If you are using the Construction set, did you load up a cell before dragging and dropping? When I started it up the first time, I thought the render window would show whatever I dropped into it. But you can mainly only use it to manipulate the placement of objects in the game, so you need to have a map cell selected and loaded before anything shows up.

Double-click the Editor ID name in the Cell View window. That will load the cell into the render window. Navigate the render window by using your mouse wheel to zoom in/out, and hold the space bar while dragging your mouse to pan the scene. When you get approximately where you want your new object to be, drag and drop it on the render window. Press "F" to make the object "fall to the ground". Go back to the Cell View window and look in the right-hand pane ((cellname) objects). Scroll down until you see your object (item with an asterisk). Double-click it and the render window will give you a side-view of it. Go back to the render window and press "T" to switch to a top view. Center your mouse pointer over the object and when it turns into the 4-arrow icon, left-click and hold, then drag your mouse to position the object. You can also right-click the object in the Cell View>Objects window and select Edit. Then use the scroll arrows next to the XYZ position boxes to move it around. In this box is also where you'll want to give it a Reference Editor ID (if you need one for scripting).

-Grax

Edited by Graxster