oblivion insta-crash on startup

Gmoney423

the title pretty much says it all. it's the game of the year edition purchased via steam, and earlier, everything was working fine with ooo, better cities, natural environments, living economy, attack and hide, alternate start (arrival via ship) archery rebalance and a few other small mods. today, i went and installed the sigil stone selector mod and used boss to fix the load order, and now whenever i start oblivion up, it crashes about 3 seconds later. i've done everything i can think of with the load order and archive invalidation stuff (how will that help? i have no idea but i'm desperate lol), but nothing's worked yet, so any help would be super duper cool. all mods are loaded via omod, by the way.

ah of course, i should have thought of that lol. anyway, here it is:

Oblivion.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

Better Cities Resources.esm

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Better Cities .esp

Natural_Weather_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Weather_HDR_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp

Living Economy.esp

Adonnays Elven Weaponry.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

OOO-DLT_Remover.esp

OOO-Armor_Perks_WearRate_Repair.esp

OOO-BirthSigns.esp

OOO-Combat_Skills_Perks_Marksmanship.esp

OOO-DaedraLord_Quests.esp

OOO-Deadly_Combat.esp

OOO-Magic_Effects+Enchantments.esp

OOO-Magic_Effects+Spells.esp

OOO-Magic_Game_Settings.esp

OOO-Potions.esp

OOO-ThiefGuild_Difficult.esp

SigilStoneSelector-SSEE-OOO.esp

goldenarrowarcheryshopfixedprices.esp

Knights.esp

Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp

Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp

attack and hide medium v2.0.esp

Archery Rebalance.esp

All+5AttributeModifiers.esp

OOO-Level_Stock.esp

Better Cities Full.esp

Better Cities - VWD of the IC.esp

Better Imperial City.esp

Better Cities Full FPS Patch.esp

Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp

Better Cities - No LEYAWIIN Flooding.esp

OOO-Magic_Script_Effect_Fix.esp

EDIT: that's what boss has given me most recently, after running master list update. still no change in terms of the game's behavior.

Edited by Gmoney423

You are using Natural Weather by Max Tael, which is outdated and bug ridden. Further, you are using both Natural Weather AND Natural Weather HDR. You should upgrade to Weather - All Natural. You should also be using a Bashed Patch with the mods that you are using.

thanks for the advice on that all natural weather mod. as it turns out, though, it was the sigil stone selector mod that was causing all the fuss. just deleted it, and now it loads again. this does beg two questions, though:

1. are there any sigil stone mods that you would recommend? i've heard that that's the one area ooo doesn't do much to improve.

2. how on earth do i create a bashed patch? pretty much all i can get from google is "check off what you want enabled". sage advice, except how is an ubern00b like me with zero experience going this far in-depth into modding supposed to know what i do and don't want to check off?

Edited by Gmoney423

thanks for the advice on that all natural weather mod. as it turns out, though, it was the sigil stone selector mod that was causing all the fuss. just deleted it, and now it loads again. this does beg two questions, though:

1. are there any sigil stone mods that you would recommend? i've heard that that's the one area ooo doesn't do much to improve.

I don't know what you mean by a Sigil Stone mod. :confused:

2. how on earth do i create a bashed patch? pretty much all i can get from google is "check off what you want enabled". sage advice, except how is an ubern00b like me with zero experience going this far in-depth into modding supposed to know what i do and don't want to check off?

Actually, that is NOT sage advice, it is stupid advice. This is my canned response for creating a Bashed Patch:

You need to copy the Bashed Patch, 0.esp from the mopy\extras\ folder into your \\Data\ folder and run BOSS. Then, in Wrye Bash right click on Bashed Patch, 0.esp and select 'Rebuild Patch' -- in the latest version of Wrye Bash there is no need to right click and select 'Mark Merged', as it's all done automatically.

When you press 'Rebuild Patch', make sure that you check the following:

Merge Patches

Import ... [Go through each 'import' option and if there's a mod, NOT csv in the right window, check it, and the Import... option.]

Cobl Catalogs [ONLY if you use Cobl]

Contents Checker

Leveled Lists

Race Records

SEWorld Tests [ONLY if you have Shivering Isles installed]

The Globals and Tweaks are optional, but should not be checked unless you know what you are doing, and should be left alone while you are troubleshooting. Everything else should be left unchecked UNLESS you know that you need it.