LOD Generation Troubleshooting

Don;t know about pools, but FNVLODGen can use any lod resources at long as they are loaded properly, no need to go old fashioned crappy tga route.

Since those lod meshes are from Old World Blues, make sure it's ESM is loaded when generating lod, then FNVLODGen will load associated BSA file and will be able to locate meshes.

If you use MO, then switch off BSA management there and make sure that vanilla archives are properly listed in the game ini file because MO screws that too.

And with that, the Object Generation worked in a matter of seconds! Most of the cliffs, buildings and structures are now visible in the distance. By the adjusting the game ini, I assume you meant the Fallout.ini & FalloutPrefs.ini, namely the Cached files, so it makes the game load the meshes & textures.

There's two more oddities however. First of all, some cliff/rocks/mountains aren't showing up (such as the ones used for Quarry Junction, the limestone set) in LOD. There are a few other objects, but I realized that those are SCOLs I made and I'm guessing I made wrong, so that's easy to fix. The main issue is the various cliff faces, enlarged rocks, etc. Any idea what might be happening there?

The second thing is that there is a significant difference between the LOD & the actual models, namely in their silhouette. So when a player approaches a cliff face, for example, the point where it changes is really obvious. There's actually a visible height difference for some of them. I know I've never seen anything that drastic occur in New Vegas or any of the DLCs (at least not that I remember). How does the game calculate when to switch between LOD & full-res versions and is there a way to adjust that?

Don;t know about pools, but FNVLODGen can use any lod resources at long as they are loaded properly, no need to go old fashioned crappy tga route.

Since those lod meshes are from Old World Blues, make sure it's ESM is loaded when generating lod, then FNVLODGen will load associated BSA file and will be able to locate meshes.

If you use MO, then switch off BSA management there and make sure that vanilla archives are properly listed in the game ini file because MO screws that too.

And with that, the Object Generation worked in a matter of seconds! Most of the cliffs, buildings and structures are now visible in the distance. By the adjusting the game ini, I assume you meant the Fallout.ini & FalloutPrefs.ini, namely the Cached files, so it makes the game load the meshes & textures.

There's two more oddities however. First of all, some cliff/rocks/mountains aren't showing up (such as the ones used for Quarry Junction, the limestone set) in LOD. There are a few other objects, but I realized that those are SCOLs I made and I'm guessing I made wrong, so that's easy to fix. The main issue is the various cliff faces, enlarged rocks, etc. Any idea what might be happening there?

The second thing is that there is a significant difference between the LOD & the actual models, namely in their silhouette. So when a player approaches a cliff face, for example, the point where it changes is really obvious. There's actually a visible height difference for some of them. I know I've never seen anything that drastic occur in New Vegas or any of the DLCs (at least not that I remember). How does the game calculate when to switch between LOD & full-res versions and is there a way to adjust that?

As to the juxtaposition between full model and LOD model, the only fix is to remake LOD models of higher quality to more closely match the full model. Pushing back LOD with increased loaded grids isn't stable.

You need to replay New Vegas again and refresh your memory because the drastic change and the lack of LOD meshes for a large number of rocks, cliffs and other objects is a curse of the game itself. :laugh: Quarry Junction for example doesn't have LOD at all in vanilla game.

The only way is to remake LOD meshes and make new ones for missing objects.

The switch between LOD and full meshes occures on cell loading, at the range specified by uGridsToLoad ini setting with a player in the center, so the default uGridsToLoad=5 is equal to 2.5 cells away on average. You can't increase that setting safely, the game can work properly only using 5 cells grid.