performance with a TV

arntey

Okay, i have a good enough computer, i run oblivion with a bit stuttering but not so much that i can't live with it, BUT my big question is why does it go lag free when i use a 50 inch plasma tv.... it's HD and i use a HDMI cable to connect the TV and computer... so why does it perform better with an external screen?

ps, i'm using a laptop

Without any details around your laptop, off the top of my head I'd say that the laptop screen is driven by an on-board video (is this an Intel machine or AMD??) whereas the HDMI out is driven by a discrete HDMI chip. Gonna' be kinda' hard to cart the big TV around ... probably won't fit in the laptop bag. Looks like you're playing Oblivion on the couch. :biggrin:

Your laptop screen has a MUCH higher refresh rate than a 50Hz TV -- the TV picture quality is much reduced and has high flicker, too -- that's why you get a better fps.

so when i'm going to build a new stationary gaming rig, then can i give a rats-arse about the screen card or videocard or whatever end just get a good HDMI card?

I didn't mean to imply that. After looking at Hickory's answer I tend to agree with him.

Almost any modern video card will give you the option of HDMI out. Unless your laptop is a high-end gaming laptop, almost every video card you can buy today will have far more pixel pushing capability that your laptop. What's important when you're deciding on system components is that they are balanced. Example ... If I build a new machine today and use for example an Intel Core i7 - 2600K in an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme motherboard but then decide that I'll use my old NVIDIA 8800GTS SLI video cards (probably because I've run short of money at this point) I will be lucky to ever notice the tiny improvement in performance that I get from the new CPU and MB. The video cards severely limit that scenario. If instead I buy a pair of EVGA Geforce GTX 570's and put them in my current rig I will also see negligible increase in performance, as my current CPU and to a lesser extent MB will limit the new video cards. Any gaming rig build is an exercise in compromise. If money grew on trees you could just buy the absolute best of everything and be damned if I don't get bang for my buck. I don't live in that neighborhood, and if you do can I come visit??

The bottom line that drives my builds, after money considerations, is screen size. It takes more video card horsepower to drive a 2560 x 1600 display than a 1920 x 1080 screen. I work backwards from the display when planning component buys.

Edited by Striker879

Well, i'm not a computer guy, more of a car guy actually, so when i just bought a 1967 chevrolet impala for 27827.76 dollars, i'm konda low on money :thumbsup: :biggrin:

But i'll work up the money eventually, you know I'm a Norwegian so i make money fast, the only drawback is that here everything costs about 3 times as much as everywhere else, but i'm not going to buy a new computer in Norway am I? :whistling:

I'm recently retired ... I feel the $pain$. I've gone from building one or two machines a year to wondering when I'll build my next. Fortunately Oblivion (modestly modded) runs OK on my current box. I wish I'd know what a '67 was going to be worth when I was young. Could have picked one up for a lot less than $27K.

Huh, I never knew that bit about the picture quality and refresh rate on a TV compared to a computer monitor. Why is that? My television is an LCD flatscreen and so is the monitor on my parents' desktop. Mine's just about three times bigger. Are monitors made specifically for computer use different from TV sets, even if both are LCD flatscreen?

Now that I know... oh, wait. I still don't care because Oblivion looks fantastically gorgeous on a 47" HDTV screen and when I turn the lights out and sit three feet away, I may as well be in Tamriel. I'll take that anyday over a slightly clearer picture.

Still interesting to know about, though. I've learned my something new today.