Newbie - strange OBMM / Wrye behaviour

BlueGunk

Hi Folks

I'm new here, and of a venerable age. A quick search did not turn up my issues. Please forgive me if I am making a mistake! I beg some advice, please.

Problem: while I am new to mods, etc.,. I've been happy running OBMM recently with no issues. Installed Wrye Bash. All OK.

I moved a couple of folders in Windows Explorer (containing NO live mods or anything - just archived 7z and rars that I had gone to so as to import the archives into OBMM).

Tonight, I want to look into bringing in another file using Create>Add File, but I get a "Location is not available" error (from dunno where) that tells me the directory I last used is gone. Yes it has - I changed the name of it and moved a couple. But no amount of F5, or CTRL F5 will persuade OBMM to get through this. The loading screen shows both the old directory and the new but they are all out of date by several days. Yet normal Win Explorer has no problem. I've been running OBMM in Safe Mode as normal.

How can I get over this? Reinstall? And if I do that - will OBMM pick up my current mod list and set up?

Problem also - installed Wrye Bash. Ran it fine yesterday but today the Wry Bash Launcher.pyw does nothing. Can't get anything to happen.

I'm fairly competent with computers but this is puzzling me. Environment = Win 7 v6.1 x64. All necessary Oblivion and Wrye Bash folders cleared for Admin and other write / read access permissions (so far as I can tell).

Your help would be much appreciated!

Meanwhile - what a fantastic community.

Thanks, Clive

I can't comment on your first problem but I had the exact same experience with wrye bash at first, also on win7 64. The reason was because I had oblivion installed to the default program files location. This is bad for many reasons, specifically here because windows' account controls were prohibiting wrye bash from running. I solved the problem completely by moving my oblivion installation to a new folder (c:\games) and am now using wrye like a pro.

You may need to uninstall and reinstall oblivion into the new directory but there is a safe and easy way to do so without losing all your mods and savegames.

I'll add that even enabling Admin privileges on the relevant folders and files won't do the trick, program files folder location has some weird windows things going on that only moving to a new directory will really solve. And uninstall wrye bash before you make the move. Reinstall after to the new location and you should be good.

Further info regarding pchclx's post ... if in fact your Oblivion install is in the default Program Files (x86) directory the Microsoft security feature UAC causes grief once you start to use mods in Oblivion. It doesn't interfere until you start changing things. One of the moderators here bben46 has posted this guide to help a proper uninstall/re-install. If you have been successfully running OBMM and installing mods with it, you are probably already outside the Program Files (x86) directory and the issue may be around your renaming and moving the directory it expects to find. According to advice I've read by one of the frequent and knowledgeable posters on the site if you re-install OBMM it will pick up your already install OMODs.

Edit: Reference post

Installing OBMM over the top will not delete your OMODs, which are in the \mods\ folder. So even if your settings get overwritten (looking at the installation archive they should not), then the worst will be that you will have to reactivate and overwrite your mods in OBMM. I don't think that will be the case, though. Download the manual install and extract the archive over the top of the current install.
Edited by Striker879

I'll add that even enabling Admin privileges on the relevant folders and files won't do the trick, program files folder location has some weird windows things going on that only moving to a new directory will really solve. And uninstall wrye bash before you make the move. Reinstall after to the new location and you should be good.

Hi pchclx

Thank you for taking the time to reply and help me out. Looks like a reinstall and I'm going to do it now before things get too complicated!

Clive

Further info regarding pchclx's post ... if in fact your Oblivion install is in the default Program Files (x86) directory the Microsoft security feature UAC causes grief once you start to use mods in Oblivion. It doesn't interfere until you start changing things. One of the moderators here bben46 has posted this guide to help a proper uninstall/re-install. If you have been successfully running OBMM and installing mods with it, you are probably already outside the Program Files (x86) directory and the issue may be around your renaming and moving the directory it expects to find. According to advice I've read by one of the frequent and knowledgeable posters on the site if you re-install OBMM it will pick up your already install OMODs.

Installing OBMM over the top will not delete your OMODs, which are in the \mods\ folder. So even if your settings get overwritten (looking at the installation archive they should not), then the worst will be that you will have to reactivate and overwrite your mods in OBMM. I don't think that will be the case, though. Download the manual install and extract the archive over the top of the current install.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply Striker879. I'll act on this and hopefully I'll be back in action. Thanks for takng the time to explain!

Clive

Thank you very much for your helpful reply Striker879. I'll act on this and hopefully I'll be back in action. Thanks for takng the time to explain!

Clive

UPDATE = thank you to you both! With the help and information you gave me I made a very successful game reinstall to a less Windross-hazardous enviroment and all went well. Without your help I would have been lost! Looking forward to making real progress now. Thanks for taking the time out to help a dithering old "newbie". Much appreciated! I'll go and give bben a massive endorsement, too.

I'm finding this a great community - lots of good people and stuff on here. Looking forward to taking part!

All the best, Clive

Clive