help installing a mod

hoofhearted4

so im on my second play through for FONV, and its time for some mods. as i said im kinda new to modding, this is only the second game im used mods for (other was DAO). anyways i found out where to put the files, checked the box in data files, go in game and get the weapon, equip it and it doesnt show. my hands are positioned like there is a weapon. i can zoom in with a scope and whatnot, but there isnt anything there. its just a giant red(ish) squre around my body with a white square inside it (kinda looks like a giant (!)) so ya idk what im not doing right. is there like a FONVupdater or something lol (like there was a DAOupdater) am i messing up the mod process somehow?. i looked in the comments and no one else seems to have this problem so im guessing its obviously me and not the mod itself. anyways any help would be great.

so the weapon mod is this link here:

http://www.newvegasn...le.php?id=34875

thanks for your help guys

you need to use Archive Invalidation, otherwise you'll get such problems (the giant red ! is a sign for missing meshes)

other than that, you should really get FOMM, and load the game through it instead (and use it to activate mods and set your load order)

as far as i know, FOMM has a built in Archive Invalidation option, so you can kill two birds with one stone here

hope this helps

ya i got FOMM (before i saw this) but it didnt solve it. although i should probably try uninstalling the mod and reinstalling it.

in the case FOMM doesnt solve it, what is Archive Invalidation?

thanks for your help

ok so i downloaded that Archive Invalidation thing. then it said it could find the fallout.ini file (sorry if thats wrong, im going off memory and im not good with this stuff to begin with) and it said to select it out of the game files so i think i did. i didnt say fallout.ini it said fallout (the icon looked like a paper with a gear or something) so ya then i activated the Archive Invalidation and reinstalled the M82 weapon mod made sure it was checked started the game through FOMM and still nothing. just that red and white Exclamation Mark!

idk what im doing wrong or what im missing.

thanks for your help guys, please keep helping if possible!

the big red/white ! is because the game is trying to load something thats not there. the file you downloaded shouldve had the following files/folders: meshes, textures, sound (if not using vanilla), .esm (master file) or .esp (plugin).

place the meshes, textures, sound files into the same directory, usually steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\data, and overwrite if prompted. the game will see the mesh and subsequently load it in game, getting rid of the !.

as for archive invalidation, in FOMM (using latest release 0.13.21 i think) by quarn/timeslip, go to tools, archive invalidation. when it asks to apply archive invalidation, click yes. archive invalidation will have been applied. to double check, go to your data folder, and look for "Fallout - AI!".

thank you sooo much quick. just did it and everything is perfect.

thank you again 1000 times over. i love this community! thank you :laugh: