Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't blame Windows 10 for this.

To quote enbseries (Boris): "Any problems -> go to ms forums and report, i do not support win8 and above and don't care about that s***. Nothing personal."

So with ENB you are using a product on a platform unsupported by it's author. Works for some, not for others.

I have been very happy for the last year with Windows 10 - and no ENB."

Once MS has enough people on Win10, they plan on switching to a SUBSCRIPTION-based purchasing plan for Win10 and beyond. That means monthly payments to keep using the OS installed on your PC.

Boris refuses to do a DAMN thing that helps MS get away with that crap...as should everyone. Personally, Win7 is the last MS OS I plan on using--the moment I'm extorted by MS, it's Linux time. 'Nuf said.

IMHO, Kudos to Boris. He's my kinda guy--I'd buy him a beer if I could.

Bug

proof?

• 5 weeks later...

OKAY! Thanks so much for all the support guys I got Skyrim to run again. Getting the d3d9.dll from system32 was brilliant! Along with a few other tweaks recommended here I no longer crash.

-------New problem!! ENB no longer loads properly. I can get into the game no problem, but when starting up Skyrim, the message in the top left corner simply doesn't appear anymore; load game, try to open the ENB UI, nothing. Shift+f12 no changes occur.

Vvat is up wiv zat?

OKAY! Thanks so much for all the support guys I got Skyrim to run again. Getting the d3d9.dll from system32 was brilliant! Along with a few other tweaks recommended here I no longer crash.

-------New problem!! ENB no longer loads properly. I can get into the game no problem, but when starting up Skyrim, the message in the top left corner simply doesn't appear anymore; load game, try to open the ENB UI, nothing. Shift+f12 no changes occur.

Vvat is up wiv zat?

The wrapper for ENB is the d3d9.dll file. If you replace it with the standard Microsoft version, then you'll disable ENB. This is not a proper fix.

ENB Check List

If ENB is not working, then check these things:

• Update DirectX (June 2010) as stated in the first post. It does NOT remove DirectX 11/12.
  • Get the Windows Fall Creators Update for Windows 10 through Windows Update. It fixes the 4GB VRAM limit. Get it even if you don't have a 4GB+ video card.
  • Make sure no overlays are running. That includes FPS/CPU/GPU meters, RivaTuner Statistics Server, MSI Afterburner OSD, Nahimic, Razer overlay, anything with "OSD" in the name, etc. Steam overlay is fine though.
  • Disable "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" in Windows 8/10.
  • Disable "Xbox Game Bar/DVR" in Windows 10.
  • Make sure you have enbhost.exe and d3d9.dll from ENBseries.
  • DELETE any dxgi.dll, d3d11.dll and d3dcompiler_46e.dll from your Skyrim main folder. Those are for Special Edition.
  • Make sure you're using the recommended version of ENB for the preset you're using, or at least something close. You can try the latest version of ENB after you get that working. The latest version won't always work with older presets.
  • Set up VideoMemorySizeMb properly in enblocal.ini.
  • Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini.
  • Try EnableCompression=true in enblocal.ini.
  • Try turning off your antivirus/firewall temporarily. If that works, then make an exception for enbhost.exe.

Edit: forgot antivirus

Edited by Grospolina

Vvat is up wiv zat?

The wrapper for ENB is the d3d9.dll file. If you replace it with the standard Microsoft version, then you'll disable ENB. This is not a proper fix.

ENB Check List

If ENB is not working, then check these things:

• Update DirectX (June 2010) as stated in the first post. It does NOT remove DirectX 11/12.
  • Get the Windows Fall Creators Update for Windows 10 through Windows Update. It fixes the 4GB VRAM limit. Get it even if you don't have a 4GB+ video card.
  • Make sure no overlays are running. That includes FPS/CPU/GPU meters, RivaTuner Statistics Server, MSI Afterburner OSD, Nahimic, Razer overlay, anything with "OSD" in the name, etc. Steam overlay is fine though.
  • Disable "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" in Windows 8/10.
  • Disable "Xbox Game Bar/DVR" in Windows 10.
  • Make sure you have enbhost.exe and d3d9.dll from ENBseries.
  • DELETE any dxgi.dll, d3d11.dll and d3dcompiler_46e.dll from your Skyrim main folder. Those are for Special Edition.
  • Make sure you're using the recommended version of ENB for the preset you're using, or at least something close. You can try the latest version of ENB after you get that working. The latest version won't always work with older presets.
  • Set up VideoMemorySizeMb properly in enblocal.ini.
  • Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini.
  • Try EnableCompression=true in enblocal.ini.

Back to the instant crash T-T

Everything on that checklist is done

Edit: Also, it was working for months until I changed my enb today. Not sure if this helps, I did *try* to make sure I deleted all the old file and settings from my older enb. I just got the new Fall update yesterday and figured I could do something with all the extra VRAM I just unlocked.

Edited by Wibbiz

Have you tried the ENB injector version then?

Crash

Edit: Fix't

I had to reinstall a xth time and be picky of which files to put in. It was mostly a problem with the ENB preset I was trying to run, among other small issues.

Edited by Wibbiz

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I haven't read all the 14 pages, because after trying af i'm tired af.

Nothing worked for me, I didn't even got to the main menu.

BUT!

I read somewhere in the enb forum something about fullscreen.

I set my game to windowed in the launcher options, and suddenly i worked. I could cry tears of joy, if I wasn't so exhausted.

It takes a bit to load, and I use the programm "Borderless Gaming" (available as freeware or for a small dev. support price on steam) to get fullscreen again.

Hope I could help.

Greetings,

Pale

Update:
It worked ONCE

And I don't know why it worked, or why it wouldn't work again.

Aw cheers mate!

Update 2:

I found a compromise.

It only crashes in fullscreen, even if it's emulated fullscreen like Borderless gaming does it.
I tried to put these lines in the enblocal to true, but the first one causes crash again, and the second one causes nothing.

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true
So I let my game on windowed, what causes it to be dislocated on the screen. So I grabed it carefully on the upper window bar and placed it right, so that even the the windows bar down on the screen disappeared.

It actually works now BUT I have the (in my case turquoise) windowbar with "Skyrim" written on it on the upper part of my screen.
Honestly, If there is no way to get around that, I will just get used to that.
I Hope its at least something, but hey, it works, with a little (to medium) imperfection.
Greetings
Pale
Small Addition
I tried to play like that for a while, and after like 2 - 5 Minutes I wouldn't even see it anymore, or notice it again. :3
If you have it like me, and if it's the only way for you to play, just don't think about it, and tell yourself that it isn't that bad, and you will be able to find peace again, since, honestly, 90 % of the time we are focused on the middle section of the screen, so who cares about the most upper part of the screen anyways? UwU
Edited by xXBalduinXx

I found a great solution this morning that is the only thing that's actually resolved this for me. I tried literally everything else described above and still had ANY d3d9.dll based mod causing crashes on launch. Hopefully this will help other people having this issue!

DXWrapper is a series of directx wrappers designed to resolve compatibility issues with older games in Windows 10, as well as provide a means to inject essentially as many custom libraries as you want.

Drop the d3d9.dll from this into the skyrim folder, make a d3d9.ini and paste in the following:

[General]
RealDllPath              = C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll
LoadCustomDllPath        = enbseries.dll
ExcludeProcess           =
IncludeProcess           =
RunProcess               = 
WaitForProcess           = 0
WrapperMode              = 0

[Compatibility]
D3d8to9                  = 0
DDrawCompat              = 0
DSoundCtrl               = 0
HandleExceptions         = 1

[Window]
FullScreen               = 0
ForceWindowResize        = 0
WaitForWindowChanges     = 0

[AppCompatData]
EnableOverlays           = 1

Use the enbseries.dll from the injector version, don't use a renamed wrapper version. For whatever reason that just doesn't work. Reshade is also a little wonky through this but you can add that, or any other .dll, by adding another LoadCustomDllPath entry.

After that be sure to set Skyrim to fullscreen mode and set ForceBorderlessFullscreen = True in enblocal.ini. Any other borderless fullscreen mod doesn't seem to play nice with this. Also undo any previous windows version compatibility settings you may have set. dxwrapper is already trying to help with that.

Hope this helps other people the way its helped me!

Edited by Sukid