Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

I'm at my wits end. My CTDs seem similar to everyone else's here. If I remove the enb dll the savegame loads. However, I have tried every installation method of directx9 that I have come across (including the link in the OP) and it didn't make a difference. I am on WIndows 8.1 with a GTX 980 TI.

One weird thing- elsewhere in this thread it says to make sure I have "D3D9_43.dll" in my system32 folder. I don't, but I do have D3DX9_43.dll (with an x in the middle). Is it a typo in the thread or do I really not have what I need in there?

A have changed my hardware since I last played successfully- a new processor, motherboard, and memory. One lead I've been following is that maybe my new CPU has more robust 'Data Execution Prevention' settings, but messing around with that was unsuccessful.

This is always in the MO log after a crash:

Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "unknown" (2130d8e). Last hooked call: void *__stdcall CreateFileW_rep(const wchar_t *,unsigned long,unsigned long,struct _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES *,unsigned long,unsigned long,void *)

Anyone got any new leads?

EDIT: Things I have tried:

- Disabling services that might interfere like GeForce Experience, Razer Service, Steam Overlay

- Installing windows updates

- ENB Injector (never worked)

EDIT2: SOLVED (At least for me)

I'm not exactly sure what action actually fixed it, but the last couple things I did before it worked were:

1. Making sure "TESV.exe" does NOT run in administrative mode

2. Making sure "enbhost.exe" DOES run in administrative mode

The weird thing is that when enbhost.exe is not set to run as admin, it prevents skyrim from launching even if d3d9.dll is removed (enb is supposedly disabled) from the skyrim folder. Not sure what that's about. Some other mechanism must be trying to access enbhost.exe when I launched Skyrim.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the suggestion! In fact, I have just downloaded Process Hacker and that has a menu option to clear the Standby Cache. It works very well and saves a re-boot! Having used it, I notice there are still some texture issues. (I have actually reduced the texture load on the game, too). I've optimised the textures and tried to make sure everything is smooth as possible.

I wonder if there is still a variation on what is available to the game, and I wonder if 32 bit applications are getting a raw deal under Windows 10 memory management system. I know all legacy apps are given only one Compression Store to work with and of course Mod Organizer's a 32 bit program as well.

I have tried raising the priority for TESV.exe a little, but it made no difference and I expect priority will revert anyway next time the machine loads up.

Looks like Win 10 has a way to go to satisfy legacy gamers. A puzzle.

Thank you, this worked for me (about 50%), except I didn't know how to use Process Hacker, no clear stanby cache anywhere.

So I used something similar: https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/ (run as admin)

Windows 10 is suck a pain....

Anyone knows if there is an issue with SLI as well? shoudl I try to disable it?

Earlier today I found out my killer network driver was faulty and eating ~6gb of my ram, my intel 6700k got random freezes, got 144hz 1440p monitor with g-sync, but no high end game can with that outcome.

YESSS, SKYRIM, IT LIVES! TY DUDE. Ok, just ok, after several hours in skyrim it has come back. Before that I started the game by the launcher and it crashed. Settings were reseted, but even their restoration does not help.

Edited by makar55

• 1 month later...

You sir, are my hero. I've spent several hours the last several days trying to figure this out. I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, months ago, and just recently performed a fresh install of Windows 10. Reinstalled Skyrim, SKSE, LOOT, then got to the ENB. After installing the ENB, my game would crash after the Bethesda logo every time. I tried installing on my other drive, messed with ini's and all kinds of crap. Finally I decided it definitely had something to do with my fresh install of windows. So I Googled it, and this thread was the first thing I found. Thanks a million!

Not working for me sadly. I still crash on any cell transition from or to houses with enb active. Windows 10 980 gtx light load order with only 60 plugins sorted with loot

using wyre bash to fix any conflicting lists. I just dont know what to do anymore. I can run around all day with enb on and sit at 60 fps easy but when i try to change cells it cdts. Using winterheart 2 enb. Ive tried several different enb types with it and nothing seems to work.

• 2 weeks later...

just bought a new gaming pc to play Skyrim with enb and mods and have been hit with this problem, i've installed everything as instructed by tutorial videos.

But when i try launch skyrim from NMM the game crashes straight away, "Skyrim Launcher has stopped working" "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

If i remove the d3d9.dll file from skyrim folder game will boot up no problem.

my specs are

CPU: Intel i3 skylake

GPU: AMD R9 380 Nitro Sapphire 4GB

RAM: 8gb

Can someone please help, i was so looking forward to playing my beautiful modded skyrim :sad:

Edited by lpoolfan

just bought a new gaming pc to play Skyrim with enb and mods and have been hit with this problem, i've installed everything as instructed by tutorial videos.

But when i try launch skyrim from NMM the game crashes straight away, "Skyrim Launcher has stopped working" "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

my specs are

Can someone please help, i was so looking forward to playing my beautiful modded skyrim :sad:

Well - you can do what I did. Uninstall ENB and never look back.

If the author wanted people to use his mod, he would support the operating system they are using.

my specs are

Well - you can do what I did. Uninstall ENB and never look back.

If the author wanted people to use his mod, he would support the operating system they are using.

thanks for the reply but i want to use enb to make the game look better.

OK found a fix for this on redit. Worked for me hopefully work for you also :)

1.) Download the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

2.) Make a new folder on your desktop.

3.) Run the executable and select the new folder you just created on your desktop to extract it to.

4.) Run the DXSETUP.exe

You now should be able to use d3d9.dll's on windows 10 skyrim.

This includes Sweetfx and ENB.

Hey all,

To my understanding, most of the time, it is not the windows problem that cause this error when just applying the enb. For some cases, it is the overlay that you may have on your system(like afterburn etc) that conflict with the enb setting. Other time, it maybe the antivirus(believe me, window defender is the most games-friendly out there). At some point, I had Bitdefender and I got the error message 0xc0000005 when I tried any enb variant but the problem gone when I uninstall the antivirus. I believed it break the enb because of the dll file(in this case d3d9.dll).

Good luck!