is it lore-friendly to be thane of multiple holds?

xxsuperasianxx

This is Skyrim we're talking about, so comparatively speaking, a Thane's position has just as big of an impact as that of the Harbinger, or the the Archmage, or the Guildmaster. By which I mean, it doesn't have any impact at all, because budgets and stuff.

At least when it comes to Thane, Bethesda lampshaded it a bit, as the Jarls of Skyrim describe "Thane" as an honorary title rather than a job title... Meanwhile Laila Law-Giver, when she dubs you Thane, says that you've done more for Riften in your short stay (by eliminating exactly one skooma supply chain) than most of her court has done in their entire careers, and Skyrim's ruling class is scattered with canonically complacent individuals, so it could be that high-ranking members of Skyrim's courts really don't do anything to deserve their titles.

Edited by TheSpaceShuttleChallenger

It makes sense. One, they dont exactly keep track of who is thane where. Two, as has been said a bunch of times it is basically an honorary title. 3, this is the Elder Scrolls where the main characters have a history of going on to run the mage's guild, a guild of thieves and/or assassins, fighter's guild, etc. All at the same time, in canon, basically every time.

You would think that while a huge war is brewing, being a thane in every hold would have some positive results, as you want and need more allies, i have three characters that are a Thane in every hold, and being able to do different jobs or quest to make money helps in the long run, but honestly it's just a title no matter what choice you make the scripts stay the same, there really isn't a different outcome.

The funny thing is you get granted the Thane tittle for some pretty silly things. Even in Whiterun you were hardly the only guy fighting the dragon. Some of the bounty radiant quests seem more worthy of the Thane tittle given you get those solo. I think there should have been a set of things needed to be done or an x amount of radiant quests to achieve just about any tittle in the game be it Thane, Archmage (omg Archmage is silly easy tittle for such a high position). I have found one mod that kind of deals with this for the Companions that I wish would be expanded for all guilds and holds for Thane tittles. Enhanced Skyrim Factions http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22650/?

The funny thing is you get granted the Thane tittle for some pretty silly things. Even in Whiterun you were hardly the only guy fighting the dragon. Some of the bounty radiant quests seem more worthy of the Thane tittle given you get those solo. I think there should have been a set of things needed to be done or an x amount of radiant quests to achieve just about any tittle in the game be it Thane, Archmage (omg Archmage is silly easy tittle for such a high position). I have found

I think the actual qualifying factor, it's the "help my people" quests that rounds out the "well known and respected by all throughout the hold" part of Thane-ship. Most of those can be satisfied simply by investing in the several merchants around town. Given what "Thane" means in Skyrim -- well known and useful guy to have around town -- that seems adequate for being labeled a Thane. (To me, anyway.)

An important bit of data that is missing is just how many thanes are there already in the Hold? Just a few would indicate that maybe it really is a Big Deal. More than 20 and it's No Big Deal. [but hard to imagine jarls being able to hand out "this (enchanted) weapon from my armory" to LOTS of thanes.]