safety on the nexus

TheCalliton

Instead of simply writing off anything you see as "being paid off" and whatnot, why don't you look a bit deeper into what tests are being performed. Try them out yourself or better yet, find the specific malware being tested against and see if your security system can protect against it when the security results say that your system cannot.

Matousec does not try to hide what or how they test. You might do well to research a topic before commenting on it.

If you'd rather not perform any tests yourself, simply look at the vendor comment logs. Comodo was not always top of the list. They listened and adapted their software over time to provide a much better product. You can easily see how other vendors wrote them off and simply ignored the results for whatever reason and thus never improved their score...often getting worse.

I've been using Comodo for quite some time and have implemented it in several government locations and none of them have had their systems wiped out from malware like they did before I helped them out.

I've seen Comodo's product grow over time. They listen to what their customers have to say. They implemented the Defense+ when pattern recognition was not enough and filled a void that many protection suites simply lacked. They added Sandbox capability to help users from unknowingly damaging they system. Sandbox started off a fairly useless except for the most basic of isolation but they have been improving it ever since implementation. Gamemode was another new feature added obviously to help out home users...not just companies. The ability to export/import your settings/rules no matter which version you are using has also been a life saver and helped greatly when setting up similar machines (configure once, rollout to many).

And for those that do not know, there is an enterprise utility you can setup on one PC and manage all others from it. They allow 5 licenses for free which is perfect for home use and small offices. You can roll it out to other PCs and suppress all the popup messages or have them sent to the console machine and you can allow or disallow whatever activity you want. (This worked great at a library setup I did which did not "trust" each user to not disable the protection or answer configuration questions incorrectly).

So, if you want to use Comodo but don't want to answer all the pesky configuration questions, you can do that by putting it into "Training Mode" where it assumes all activity is trustworthy and creates rules automatically as you use it for a certain amount of time (better not leave in this mode since malware would be granted access as well!). Or if you want, you can specify exactly what is allowed or not...such as a game requesting access to use DirectX keyboard input, or access to your DNS to lookup game servers, etc.)

For free or as a paid-for security suite, it is hard to find one better and more capable than Comodo for not matter what situation you have.

LHammonds

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply prefer not to get my security product reviews from someone who has financial stake in giving certain products good marks, as matousec does.

I simply prefer not to get my security product reviews from someone who has financial stake in giving certain products good marks, as matousec does.

Their security results is not their primary source of income but regardless, the tests are free to download by anyone as well as their source code. Their findings can be verified by anyone.

I'm not saying Comodo is a bad product in any way, I'm sure its mint. I just have a hard time looking at the numbers for other products and believing them to be so insufficient. Since Matousec is using their own testing methods, it's entirely possible that they're built to favor some programs over another, isn't it? I'm just saying, you know, hypothetically speaking. The fact that they are paid by security software makers for re-testing and their methods and source code can be downloaded by anyone, it seems very possible that a security software maker could put a bit of time and effort to specifically beating these tests so Matousec will post better results.

I'm sure Comodo is an excellent program, and if I ever feel insecure about my setup I'll be sure to keep it in mind. But I won't be limiting myself to only this website's testing. It's always good to look around and research anyway, right?

If I want to switch my antivirus to a new one, say avast to microsoft, is it enough to just "uninstall" the current AV

Just make sure you have the new antivirus downloaded (and updated definition files if possible) before you uninstall your current antivirus.

I go so far as to disconnect from the Internet whenever I have a lapse in anti-virus or firewall protection.

From what I recall, Avast will uninstall fairly clean and not present a problem so it should be ok to:

1. Uninstall avast

2. Reboot your computer (even if it does not ask)

3. Install MSE and update to the latest definition files)

It is an entirely different story if you were using Norton. I have never been able to cleanly remove Norton by itself. You always have to manually remove remnants of that junk to keep it from interfering with your system.

LHammonds

Symantec even publishes a "Norton Removal Tool" just to go clean-up behind its own uninstall routines. Use their site to locate the newest/appropriate one for your particular products.

Once when I ordered a computer, I not only unchecked the little box for a free x many months of Norton but I also put in the special instructions, do NOT install Norton. NO Norton. Guess what came installed with it? Yep, you must be psychic. I'm not sure I would trust their removal tool unless I verified it left no traces. I am not saying it's malware. I realize it is an actual security program, but I do not like their aggressive tactics over there. McAfee isn't much better. They bundle their free scanner now with all sorts of things and it does install without warning, and it does not give you a chance to opt out, or instructions for clean removal. Way too close to drive-by for my liking. Gotta love Revo. That thing gets better and better.

Thanks. I had Norton on an old Dell I believe and couldn't play with any friends at LAN parties. After hours on the phone with Dell tech support we finally figured out hey guess what it was Norton firewalling me, even when turned off. But that was many years ago when I was unexperienced enough to let other people build my computers... won't make that mistake again.