1. 1. what would you prefer?

• DLCs
    • expansion packs
    • 1 expansion pack and some DLCs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, a dlc is any downloadable content for the game. That would include mods as well. An expansion is basically something you would purchase at a store and is an official release from the developers, digital or not. So in my opinion it is better to have both. Mods are unofficial dlc, so if you only want expansions then say goodbye to mods because then they won't exists.

there seems to be people lost at what an expansion pack is so ill clear it up. if want to tell whats the difference between a DLC and an expansion pack..... it says right there when your gonna buy it. "Shivering Isles expansion pack for oblivion" if look at Frostcrag Spire it'll say DLC or plug-in. forget where you buy it from a DLC is usually a small addon to the game like adding only one questing line or offering a new weapon or armor. while expansion packs are just that a major expansion to the game think Mehrunes' Razor vs Shivering Isles.

there seems to be people lost at what an expansion pack is so ill clear it up. if want to tell whats the difference between a DLC and an expansion pack..... it says right there when your gonna buy it. "Shivering Isles expansion pack for oblivion" if look at Frostcrag Spire it'll say DLC or plug-in. forget where you buy it from a DLC is usually a small addon to the game like adding only one questing line or offering a new weapon or armor. while expansion packs are just that a major expansion to the game think Mehrunes' Razor vs Shivering Isles.

While the terms are commonly used that way, it is technically not true. A DLC is any content, big or smal, added via download. Likewise, there is nothing in the definition of an expanison that say it has to be a big addition to the game.

The reason the two have been used in the manner you describe is because smaller addons have been easier to distribute digitally and aren't really viable for hard copy distribution. At the same time, larger addons have been too heavy to distribute digitally. But this is changing rapidly for many costumers, leading to the use of DLC to describe smaller addons being misleading as larger addons also are becoming available as DLCs.

While I understand that the meaning of a word is dependant on it's general use, I would like to advocate that the term DLC has a much better use in denoting content available for download rather than describing smaller addons.

A DLC is any content, big or smal, added via download.

your definition of a DLC also falls apart since you can buy fallout 3 dlc for the 360 on a disc and yes it still says DLC on it.

Their fault. DLC is Downloadable Content. That is what the term stands for and what it's meant to denote.

In a way I guess the "DLC" on the disk you speak of is still DLC in the sense that it's available for download. The problem, like buzz words, is that the term gets applied in situations where it shouldn't until it lost it's original meaning. Well, not necessary a problem, language evolution has many advantages but I digress.

I'd say turning the thread into a debate about the definition of DLC is rather pointless, most of the people will certainly understand the OP's interpretations. Anyway, an expansion pack, according to my own definition and in the context of RPG games, is a major addition to the original game content, offering several hours of gameplay, multiple quests and multiple locations, while DLCs involve mostly extra armor or weapons, a single quest or story line offering no more than a few hours of gameplay. Myself, I voted for expansion packs because they would require a team of developers, graphic artists, story writers - something that is more manageable by the developer and difficult to pull off for a group of volunteers.