expansion packs over DLCs

hector530

expansion packs or DLCs or both?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. what would you prefer?

• DLCs
    • expansion packs
    • 1 expansion pack and some DLCs

Just so long as they don't release DLCs the day the game comes out... I'll refuse to buy the crappy thing (I'm lookin at you DA2!)

well skyrim isnt made by bioware so they wont be selling us a incomplete game with day-one dlc. honestly i dont know who people are surprised by it they did it with DA:origins and mass effect 2. they'll be sure to do it again come mass effect 3 and everytime they release the day-one dlc just about every gaming website and publication attacks them for it and everytime bioware defends its action so dont get you hopes up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ITOS: You seem to consider the litteral definition to be the only good one, you are wrong. A DLC is a pack that only has a few content (a couple of quest, some equipment or a companion...) for a moderate price. It's not the only definition, but since it's been used like that for a few years in the videogame business and nearly everyone has adopted the term, it's one of them. If the language was only about litteral never-changing definitions, it would be really limited.

I voted B: expansions pack. I'm not a fan of DLC, I only bought one that seemed honnest but most of the time (99.9% of the time in fact) I find them too expensive for what they have to offer. Like someone said, it's particularly true for TES since the modding community can easily make as good additions than the officials DLC.

I'd like to see expansions, but I'd like them to be distributed as DLC. Where they would be available on the Skyrim site to download or the PSN / XBOX market depending on which you play the game with.

I would be really happy if additonal story elements were added. I really wouldn't care if new land was added, just more factions/stories/quests/items in the same Skyrim.

I also think they should double up faction types. For example, have more than one stealth faction. I was really happy to see this in Oblivion with the Thieves Guild+Dark Brotherhood.

@Fatalmaterpiece : didn't oblivion release with horse armor DLC?

Edited by Arrok

I would rather see less frequent but larger expansion packs like Shivering Isles, Bloodmoon, etc. I can deal with smaller DLC as long as it is an extensive quest like Knights of the Nine or Mehrunes Razor but the little stuff like Spelltomes or Frostcraig Spire I don't even bother with.

I would personally love to see Akavir as an expansion for Skyrim in the future.

Is it too much to ask for both? I mean they're not mutually exclusive, that's been proven with both Morrowind and Oblivion. Morrowind had its two major expansions, then some official DLC releases like Fort Firemoth and some world changing patches like the swamp sound effects. Oblivion had the Shivering Isles, which was awesome, and some small releases here and there. I was really hoping to see more large expansions for Oblivion though.

It seems to me that a company will release large expansions to keep the game alive a while longer, or make it a generational game. DLC seems to be almost fixes, where the developers say, "Let's put that one thing back in there that get cut before the release", or if they come up with something awesome like a single quest or whatever. I really think they should do both with Skyrim; they should plan to make large expansions to really add to the playing time and keep the game popular until the PS3 and 360 run their course (I know the PS3 at least is ideally a 10-year system so it's got some life left). The expansions give them time to release in increments like they did with FO3, and for little additions here and there it's perfectly ok to have cheap DLC like Dead Space did. Because if we start looking at DLC in the same way as traditional expansions, developers will think it's ok to charge a base price of $9.99 for every little thing they throw in there. Having scheduled releases like the FO3 expansions gives them time to incorporate more of those little ideas, but even if they don't make the cut for an expansion they can be released as $1-$5 DLC. Doing both over the shelf life of the game should help prevent that $9.99 price tag from getting slapped on $2 crap.

I liked most of the DLCs for FO3, as they all added something to the game world. The different DLCs seemed to be small expansion packs that added to the game world.

But the way Bioware make DLCs... Thats just horrible. All those armor/weapon DLCs they made for ME2 should be in the game already. If they wanted to put in more weapons or armor sets, make a DLC with a questline. Could easely have put those 5 weapon/armor DLCs into some of the bigger DLCs, as they are pretty pointless imo. And im not going to buy DLCs like that. And the DLCs they release on day 1... FFS wait a few weeks before they release those. I feel like i get cheated everytime. Tho the Dragon Armor DLC was nice imo, as it was a cross game DLC.

So yes to DLCs that add to the game world, and no to horrible armor/weapon DLCs thats doesnt do anything. But dont always agree with the price they are charging.

But anyday take expansions like Bloodmoon and shivering isle, over the DLCs that been released.

Bad news for you guys... Bethesda is not planning on releasing any large expansion packs. Instead they will release several small DLC's...

I did not get that impression from the audio. Can you quote the part you are referring to please? Thanks.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece