windows 10 not allowing mods in fallout

kodilax2

so i have been trying to find any information i can on this topic but have not been successful as of yet, i recently upgraded to the free windows 10 and so far everything has worked great, the problem is none of my mods are loading in game and every time i try and start fallout 3 i get this message saying it is incompatible with windows 10. even thought the game itself runs fine no mod is being loaded at all. i could really use some help here. oh also my controller does not seem to work anymore i have tried both my 360 and xbox one controller and neither work right, the buttons work fine but the analog sticks do nothing

Edited by kodilax2

I had a issue with "Compatibility" issues, I just run EVERYTHING associated with the game, NMM, GECK all "Run as administrator". I built a small house mod and it would not show up in game, opened the geck in "Run as Administrator" did a new mod and pow, there it was. Hopes this helps, but remember all of them

• 2 weeks later...

did u install the Games for Windows Live client?

that might solve your controller issues aswell - otherwise, the microsoft store have some Xbox app's i know - just not wich, and what they do as i only own a old Nintendo Wii! :P hehe

my post on win10 issues ->

https://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/846940248950664435/?l=danish

perhaps, your can find a solution there?

-Issey

I had to install GFWL just to get the game to RUN in Windows 10, just got done a few minutes ago and came here for some info on exactly that subject. I'm a little antsy about adding mods back in due to some of the stuff I've been rerading here and on other sites but of course not using mods is totally out of the question . Has anyone had any kind of a POSITIVE experience trying to run FO3 under Win 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 10-12 hours of play time after I updated. Play's as good if not better then XP and 8.1. I have The Pitt, Operation Anchorage, Point Lookout and Broken Steel running. Plus about 40 mods. So far so good and I have intentionally been going places with a lot of shooting, running, jumping ECT. to see how it will play. I am still runnig every thin as administrator, but did not need to go thru a buch of stuff to get it to run.

I had to paste the .ini file and d3d9 file once I updated to Windows 10 just to get the game to play. Played fine after that. I opened the geck, made a mod, and it allowed me to put a check mark and select it like the dlc's on the data menu before you click start on the game menu. Everything working fine now.

Kodilax2 wrote:

so i have been trying to find any information i can on this topic but have not been successful as of yet, i recently upgraded to the free windows 10 and so far everything has worked great, the problem is none of my mods are loading in game and every time i try and start fallout 3 i get this message saying it is incompatible with windows 10. even thought the game itself runs fine no mod is being loaded at all. i could really use some help here

I upgraded to free Win 10 from Win 7. Yes I also got the message incompatible with windows 10. I just closed out that window and kept going like I didn't see it. I made sure that nothing was updated before I installed Fallout 3, Fomm.
I found out that like Win XP that Win 10 also uses a lot of memory and that 4 gb is not enough to run the game with any mods. But Like I did in Win XP I went to the Task Manage and started to turn off things in my user section that I didnot need. In return my game speeded up and I played for several years on a Win XP Pro machine with 4 gb. Yes I know that Win XP Pro does not show 4 gb but only 3. something.
Back to win 10.
I installed Fallout3 in a Folder named Games outside of the Win10 Programs and X86 Folders. I laso installed the old Fomm into the same Directory that all the folders are in. ie. Games, Program Files,Program Files (X86) in the C:/ Directory.
I installed another version of FOMM but it didn't work so I download the old Fomm and installed it.
After installing Fomm I went into the C:/GeMM/data/ folder and copied the xlive.dll form that folder and pasted it into the
C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3? folder. Then I open the Fose Folder and copied everything and pasted it into Fallout3 Folder.
I started to look around and found the Nexus Mod Manager and Downloaded it. When I would download a Mod with it I found that sometimes that afer I finished downloading a Mod and tried to run it , it would tell me that the whole mod was not there, But I like the way that it unloaded itself when I clicked on run Fose and that was more memory for my game.
If you can get your game to work without Fomm, Fose or any Mods then I think that it has something to do with your configuration. If Your game works then your halfway there. Right now I am playing with 135 mods on Win10 with 4 gb Ram.

I install my Mods with Fomm and vaidate it and trun off Fomm and then Run Nexus Mod Manager. No I do not download or install any Mods with Nexus Mod Manager. It works for me I hope that this helps someone.
And NO I am Not an xpert only a player and I love this Game... It's the only Game I play and have played for many years, always something new.

Thanks to the people Who made this Game and those that made the Mods I use and also to the people at Nexus that hosted and brought all these great Mods to one place. I just wish that all the Mods from times past were still on here.
Jinn