Locked shop doors at night w/guards

fcmem

Im not sure if someone has made this mod yet, I tried searching but came up empty.

Im on my first play thru of New Vegas (have'nt completed) and I've noticed at night the shop keepers leave their shops/bars unattended.

This seems kinda stupid, especially in a semi-lawless wasteland.

In FO3 ofthen the door would be locked at night and/or have a guard.

I'd like to see some shops/bars have a guard and locked doors at night similar to how things were in falllout-3

I'd like to see some shops/bars have a guard and locked doors at night similar to how things were in falllout-3

Sure, makes sense and it's fairly straight forward to do. A simple patrol or sandbox/travel package (addScriptPackage or just set the time) in a small radius, as well as the lock funcion. Both can be fired off via various types of scripts (a simple quest script set to run once an hour, a object script on a NPC etc).

What locations would you like to see done?

Well this is my first play thru so I've not been everywhere yet.

But here's what i've noticed so far:

Good springs: General store stays open, Chet goes to bed but leaves the door unlocked, I think a simple door locking at night would be sufficent.

can't see a small store like that having a guard but ti would at least be a barrier to get in and loot the place blind.

The bar in goodsprings says it's open 24/7 but at night the place is empty. trudy does'nt even sleep in there.

Not sure exactly what to suggest here, the sign says it's onen 24/7 so a lock door would'nt fit.

a guard could work, or perhaps just some generic goodspring citizens could hang out there.. I know in FO3

Mortiaries had some that never left iirc.

But this raises the question of why are these people in a bar that has no bartender?

I would think a nightshift bartender would be needed.. but just sandboxing some generic's would probably be the easiest way to make it less then trivial to rob the joint.

The hotel lobby in Novac never closes even though Jeannie that runs the place leaves and goes home at night.

Novac's a little better off then Goodsprings, so I suppose a guard might be a little more believable.

After all they do have a sniper on watch 24/7.

But I suppose simply locking the door at night when she leaves would be a simple fix.. at least this creates a barrier.

Im sure there are more examples in the game I just have'nt ran across them yet, I got sidetracked on OWB so i've not made any progress in the core game the last few days.

Good springs: General store stays open, Chet goes to bed but leaves the door unlocked, I think a simple door locking at night would be sufficent.

can't see a small store like that having a guard but ti would at least be a barrier to get in and loot the place blind.

The bar in goodsprings says it's open 24/7 but at night the place is empty. trudy does'nt even sleep in there.

Not sure exactly what to suggest here, the sign says it's onen 24/7 so a lock door would'nt fit.

a guard could work, or perhaps just some generic goodspring citizens could hang out there.. I know in FO3

Mortiaries had some that never left iirc.

But this raises the question of why are these people in a bar that has no bartender?

I would think a nightshift bartender would be needed.. but just sandboxing some generic's would probably be the easiest way to make it less then trivial to rob the joint.

The hotel lobby in Novac never closes even though Jeannie that runs the place leaves and goes home at night.

Novac's a little better off then Goodsprings, so I suppose a guard might be a little more believable.

After all they do have a sniper on watch 24/7.

But I suppose simply locking the door at night when she leaves would be a simple fix.. at least this creates a barrier.

Im sure there are more examples in the game I just have'nt ran across them yet, I got sidetracked on OWB so i've not made any progress in the core game the last few days.

This is a pretty interesting idea. Add me on steam and perhaps we can work something out.

Sounds like GS is a good place to start, I'll mess around a bit with it.

Chet's packages already have him set to lock and unlock doors so all you have to do is put a lock on the General Store's Door.

However: I'm not 100% how to implement trespassing and such. You can make him the owner of the door but I'm not sure how to set it to make the door be public during store hours or how to make him mad at your trespassing.

Couldn't trespassing just affect Goodsprings reputation the way picking a locked door usually does? Like if someone sees you break into the General Store at night you'll be shunned by the community as a whole instead of only having to deal with Chet.

While I havn't had an occasion to use it yet, you can attach a script to a door for a simple rep hit. I think part of the problem is that a lot of people complain about that in the requests forum and are looking to fix it. For example the El Dorado switch can be flipped while your wearing a stealthsuit, have a stealthboy active, 100% sneak and no one in the room and you'll still take a hit to your rep. Those simple scripted hits to the rep seem to bug peeps.

But I suppose you could ad some code to check if Chet is asleep and maybe a quick ref walking or some other way to check for NPCs near by, and if there arn't any (or the player is virtually invisble and silent) then the door doesn't ding his/her rep.

I think since thats how the reputation mechanic works in the vanilla game anyway people wouldn't be too bothered. But I can't say for certain haha.

Here's a similar thread I started a while back that never really took off that explored a similar concept to the one OP posted: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2346119-npc-routines-everybody-eats/